WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a nice beater, instead of this militaristic looking mudman I wear every day. Sometimes, in the military, my job doesn't require a subdued, ultra tough wrist watch with 5 alarms for my 5 commo windows, a lighted background, time in another country etc etc.
And sometimes, when we're in civilian clothes, we don't want to stick out among the locals. A big old px lookin watch does just that.

I'm thinkin alpha. What is thought about those 40 and 50 dollar jobs on ebay. Do they keep time? Do they break constantly? Basically, are they going to fall apart in a year?

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
Alphas are inexpensive look-a-likes to luxury watches. Will that stand out with the locals? It might get nicked, but won't cost you that much.

I suggested something else in your post over at Seiko/Citizen/Orient.

·
Registered
26,413 Posts
I was looking for a nice beater, instead of this militaristic looking mudman I wear every day. Sometimes, in the military, my job doesn't require a subdued, ultra tough wrist watch with 5 alarms for my 5 commo windows, a lighted background, time in another country etc etc.
And sometimes, when we're in civilian clothes, we don't want to stick out among the locals. A big old px lookin watch does just that.

I'm thinkin alpha. What is thought about those 40 and 50 dollar jobs on ebay. Do they keep time?
Hi Lee,

I currently own 9 alphas (well, 7 to be honest, the two next will be officially delivered on December 25th ;-) ) and I'm really pleased with them.

They all keep great time, though I've never checked precisely to the second… like I always say, for accuracy, I've got quartz watches too ;-)
But no more than a few seconds a day for sure.
We discussed about the PO accuracy today, and I checked my computer clock all day long and didn't notice any gap |>

Do they break constantly? Basically, are they going to fall apart in a year?
Well, that's the biggy. I can't answer that one, I only have them for a year, some of them only few months… so can't be positive. I hope so, have no reason to believe they will break in a month, but I can't tell right now.

I recently had an alarm on the PO, which stopped three times in two days, but it finally seems the watch was only under-winded, though being on a winder :-s It works just fine since then, after being manually winded and worn for few days…

To be complete, I must add I'm an office guy and the watch is rather preserved at my wrist ;-) , I've seen you're in the army, deployed in Africa, I don't know how these watches will react to extreme temperature/humidity even if you'll use them in civilian conditions… that's something to think about ?

Apart that, great, they're doing just fine for me :-!

Hope it helped,

Take care
Renaud

·
Registered
26,413 Posts
ive had my Speedy for about 3-4 months, and it was bought used. so it may be a year old watch. held up fine so far. (knock on wood)

i like it so much, im fundraising to buy the Paul Newman chrono.

Wanna buy a girl scout cookie? :-d
Nice watch Polaco :-!

Longevity of Alphas is my concern too, so it's great to see they last in time |>

Take care
Renaud

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Hey thanks man! I really cant find a watch that has such an affect on me as the Paul Newman from them, and im talking about at any (realistic) price point.

im just still a little scared on the size. need to see more wrist shots i guess. b-)

·
Registered
26,413 Posts
Hey thanks man! I really cant find a watch that has such an affect on me as the Paul Newman from them, and im talking about at any (realistic) price point.

im just still a little scared on the size. need to see more wrist shots i guess. b-)
You mean the size of the Daytona ?
Well, mine is :
  • 39mm wide
  • 42mm crown included
  • 48mm lugs to lugs

And this is some quick & dirty wrist shots (I haven't got big wrists)

Hope it helped :)

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
You mean the size of the Daytona ?
Well, mine is :
  • 39mm wide
  • 42mm crown included
  • 48mm lugs to lugs

And this is some quick & dirty wrist shots (I haven't got big wrists)

Hope it helped :)
That looks great on your wrist.

Much better than stock photos, IMO.

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
That does look nice. It looks pretty thick, no? Maybe it is just the angle of the picture.

Its funny that I recognize that small scar on your hand. No anonymous wrist shots from you!

·
Registered
26,413 Posts

:thanks bluloo

Well, it's a small watch towards today's standards, but it's so nice I always wear it with pleasure. Plus the new leather strap gives it a vintage look I really like :)

·
Registered
26,413 Posts
That does look nice. It looks pretty thick, no? Maybe it is just the angle of the picture.

Its funny that I recognize that small scar on your hand. No anonymous wrist shots from you!
Thanks John :)

Well, it's not that thick… actually I don't think wristshots are always explicit :think: I find the Daytona on my pictures bigger than it really is :think:

Sometimes my Yema seems HUGE (which it is :-d ) and on other views it looks like any regular watch…

Aaaaah, the famous camp scar ;-)
I remember very well how I got it. As a matter of fact, I believe at least 30 other french kids got it this same year :-d I was eleven, in a mountain summer camp, and we all bought knives for camping (Opinel n°11 if I remember right) and OF COURSE, we all played the tough guys, carving wood… and OF COURSE, we all carved in the wrond direction, towards the hand :-d and OF COURSE, all day long, all the kids went to the nurse with the exact same wound !! :-d

Funny story when I think of it… none of the supervisors tried to prevent those "accidents" to happen… maybe it was a way to teach us that a blade could be a dangerous thing… a small cut was no big deal after all, and it was a good lesson for the future :think: actually, we all learnt the lesson and never made the same mistake twice :)

Others times, other ways…

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
God, that's one of the things I never understood about Alpha. Why can't they make better product shots? Is it that cheap watch photos make us feel that the shop is good on the price/performance curve? Or does that guy really just have such crappy camera skills?

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
God, that's one of the things I never understood about Alpha. Why can't they make better product shots? Is it that cheap watch photos make us feel that the shop is good on the price/performance curve? Or does that guy really just have such crappy camera skills?
All the watch brands that I follow (Seiko, Citizen, Orient, and now Alpha) all suffer from the same poor stock photography with Orient I think being the worst offender. No dimenson, poor color. They often have the bezel askew. I've joked that certain forum members with personal pictures move more watches and they should start collecting a commision.

·
Registered
26,413 Posts

:thanks bluloo

Well, I really like "real life pictures", that's whay I'm always harrassing everybody for pictures here on WUS :-d

I think manufacturers are a bit forced to provide basic pics of their products (front/rear) to give the most legible overview :think: … but of course it doesn't give the "soul" of the watch, so I guess it's up to the customer to provide it :)

The good thing is it's always a pleasure to receive a watch bought from internet, because it's nearly always a great surprise :-!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
For me Alpha has been nothing but great, even if I try to sell the ones I got (have to many watches)...but I´m currently thinking about buying the Speedy hommage or a skeleton watch, if I´ll be able to sell the others offcourse;-) This hobby is so addictive

Anyway, IMO I think Alpha are great value for the money specially when I bought mines when the dollar currency where extremly low compared to the swedish. So if you want a cheap, for the money good looking watch Alpha do that very well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts