WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out Christmas shopping today I saw a guy wearing a really interesting looking diver. Unfortunately he was talking to someone so I didn't have a chance to ask him about it. Anyway, I thought it might be a Marathon of some description, and sure enough, after checking the web, it clearly was. The bezel design/profile was unmistakable (pic borrowed from countrycomm.com).

I had never seen one in the flesh before, and now I want one-the original style SAR auto, as listed on countrycomm. I'd be grateful for any feedback from owners before buying. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
It is a great watch, excellent lume, crown knurled and substantial. When
fitted to the original ss bracelet is the ultimate tool diver. I like the SAR better because of it's clean dial. If you got the chance to buy it just do it
you won't regret:-!

·
Registered
227 Posts
My T-Sar logs more wrist time than any other watch I own.
One draw back is always having to explain who the Marathon Watch Co. is and what they do.
Whether it's on a bracelet, a rubber strap or a Zulu band it's an eye catcher.

·
Registered
760 Posts
So pretend the big R was still selling a watch for actual use instead of jewelry store distribution. Pretend that watch had been on steroids for a year. Pretend you were charged just for the watch rather than the advertizing campaign.

That's a SAR.

|>

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
So pretend the big R was still selling a watch for actual use instead of jewelry store distribution. Pretend that watch had been on steroids for a year. Pretend you were charged just for the watch rather than the advertizing campaign.

That's a SAR.

|>
Now get more 'roids, hit the gym hard, add Tritium and a chrono - supersize me:

The CSAR, 'nuff said. :)

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
They are meant for military use, the extras are made available to CC and MWR. They are definitive tool watches, not a bit of pretension, and with one of the best steel bracelets made. That chrono is a monster!
My only thought is that they are a bit small compared to the 44mm giants today.
I've owned a bunch of them, and am looking for another. Try MWR for more opinions.
DW

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Nice watch. Excellent lume. Although the dial *looks* small at first, once you get used to it, it also looks right.

Mine is accurate to about +1.5s/day, and I've read similar reports from other owners.

The bracelet is chunky and well built, interesting without being outlandish.

The bezel is definitely the easiest-to-grip bezel I've ever seen. The clicking is a bit sloppy and rough, though. While swimming in the bay in Vietnam, it abruptly stopped being unidirectional -- apparently I'd stripped the teeth that keep it from going clockwise. A new one was no problem -- Jack @ IWW took care of it, but the new one was still a bit rough and sloppy.

Still, a handsome watch that draws attention. (Oh -- it's a bit tall to wear with a dress shirt, but it can be done.)

Out Christmas shopping today I saw a guy wearing a really interesting looking diver. Unfortunately he was talking to someone so I didn't have a chance to ask him about it. Anyway, I thought it might be a Marathon of some description, and sure enough, after checking the web, it clearly was. The bezel design/profile was unmistakable (pic borrowed from countrycomm.com).

I had never seen one in the flesh before, and now I want one-the original style SAR auto, as listed on countrycomm. I'd be grateful for any feedback from owners before buying. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
Best I can describe the Sar is a very compact, dense watch. Also very good lume.I have 3 sars and one csar, all keepers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Darn it, just when I decided on a black Sumo, here comes the new SAR.

What to do, what to do ........

·
Registered
918 Posts
For the SAR 24mm would have been overkill. 22mm at the most. I like my SAR and have the bracelet but wear it on the zulu's mostly because it's a lot more comfortable and I like the look.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
About the SAR.... JUST GET ONE and get the bracelet.

Couple of my fav shots.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
crown

the negative about the marathon is that the crown is rather protuberant and can dig into the back of your hand. if you like to wear your strap or bracelet less than snug, this might become an issue for you.

·
Registered
309 Posts
sorry for my lack of knowledge about this watch but who makes them and do you guys have a web link thanks :thanks:thanks:thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's a good, maybe a classic, watch. The right size. An excellent bracelet. A fair price (that seems to be going up). The original Canadian SAR has a nice simple legible dial. It has loads of presence. It's quite tough (but not indestructible). The crown is perhaps the worst part - it feels like it wants to crossthread.

All in all, one of my favourites. I'm looking for a spare!

ps. good on grey zulu or bracelet (especially with the little maple leaf).

1 - 20 of 67 Posts