WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start.

The stagnant water in the picture is full of dead rotted flowers, leaves and bugs and smells horrible. But makes for a pretty picture.

·
Premium Member
Tudor, Omega and
1,503 Posts
Maybe not unexpected so to speak, but some background...
A couple of years ago I was asked to speak at one of my grandkids school for Veterans/ Armistace/ Remembrance Day. I accepted the invite and brought along a few WW1 militaria items from my military collection to display and this was one of my displays.
Watch Clock Material property Analog watch Font

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Watch Analog watch Azure Clock Wrist

This was while I was on hold with the police dept (I call them regularly due to people parking at the corner of our T-section right in front of a fire hydrant. Every week someone parks right there in front of the hydrant and most importantly, blocking everyone's view when turning). Always some idiot parks there and there's plenty of parking in our streets.

Reactions: eddieo396

·
Registered
11,786 Posts
Watch Analog watch Clock Wood Font

Here is a picture that led to an event that came completely unexpected to me. When I ordered my Alexander Shorokhoff Neva, I bought the pictured brown strap in addition to the original light blue leather strap. I sent some pictures including the one above to AS saying that I'm super happy with the combination and if they like, they could just feel free to use my pictures for their social media or other purposes.

A few weeks later, I opened my browser and was greeted with this pic in an official Shorokhoff ad. It turned out they also liked the brown strap on this watch so much that they started selling it like this, and my pics are now part of the watch description on their website. :) They invited me to a watch fair and I could meet Alexander Shorokhov, Inga Duffy-Shorokhova and Irina Kuhn in person, which was just amazing. This is what I love about micro brands. You can get in direct contact with the people who make these pieces and it's just fantastic talking about their designs and ideas with them.

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
View attachment 16918427

Here is a picture that led to an event that came completely unexpected to me. When I ordered my Alexander Shorokhoff Neva, I bought the pictured brown strap in addition to the original light blue leather strap. I sent some pictures including the one above to AS saying that I'm super happy with the combination and if they like, they could just feel free to use my pictures for their social media or other purposes.

A few weeks later, I opened my browser and was greeted with this pic in an official Shorokhoff ad. It turned out they also liked the brown strap on this watch so much that they started selling it like this, and my pics are now part of the watch description on their website. :) They invited me to a watch fair and I could meet Alexander Shorokhov, Inga Duffy-Shorokhova and Irina Kuhn in person, which was just amazing. This is what I love about micro brands. You can get in direct contact with the people who make these pieces and it's just fantastic talking about their designs and ideas with them.
Sven used my pic for the video he was showing at the Watch and Wound events. I noticed when I was at his booth and helping him for a few hours at the show and the video was on. Actually I'm in the video that Watch and Wound put out for that event too. Though I'm just a person on the side in that. It's cool when you can speak with the brand personally.

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, Habring2 Chrono COS ZM, Sinn EZM 10, and more...
7,541 Posts
I was chatting with a fellow watch nerd at a watch fair in 2019. I really liked his chronograph, especially the fly back feature, and asked if I could snap a picture of it.
Come to find out, I was chatting with Chase Fancher, the founder of the watch company that produced the watch. It is his personal watch.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Watch Cat Analog watch Clock Carnivore

After putting this Invicta on my cat for a humorous picture, he proceeded to run around the house howling for an hour. I had to take him to the vet. On the way to the vet, he started speaking in strange tongues and cursed me for putting such a cruel monstrosity on him. When we got to the vet, he coughed up a fake gold hairball, and started acting like a normal cat again. The Invicta poison had been purged. The Invicta is now locked away in a safe, only to be used as something to bludgeon a blind burglar as it could otherwise be seen from the moon.

·
Registered
195 Posts
View attachment 16918427

I’m not asking you to comment on this publicly, but if they used your image in an actual advertisement (instead of the owner’s photos section) I hope they compensated you somehow, or offered to.
I personally love micros too, and I’ve occasionally done pro bono work for someone I really believe in and want to help… I guess what I’m saying is if Seiko, for example, wanted to use my image for an ad I would charge accordingly.
It’s a good image- keep shooting and know your worth.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
View attachment 16918427

Very very cool story ffritz ☺👍

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I’m not asking you to comment on this publicly, but if they used your image in an actual advertisement (instead of the owner’s photos section) I hope they compensated you somehow, or offered to.
I personally love micros too, and I’ve occasionally done pro bono work for someone I really believe in and want to help… I guess what I’m saying is if Seiko, for example, wanted to use my image for an ad I would charge accordingly.
It’s a good image- keep shooting and know your worth.
He did say he explicitly sent to them and they "could just feel free to use my pictures for their social media or other purposes". So no, in my mind, they did precisely the right thing. No compensation, but a thank you and an invite.

Reactions: ffritz

·
Registered
195 Posts
He did say he explicitly sent to them and they "could just feel free to use my pictures for their social media or other purposes". So no, in my mind, they did precisely the right thing. No compensation, but a thank you and an invite.
Fair point about allowing use of pictures (that I completely missed). I need to stop commenting when I’m half-asleep 🥱

1 - 20 of 23 Posts