WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, reading over my g shock manual and an excerpt from the temperature section says-- "the LCD may become difficult to read at temperatures lower than 0(32)F" now i know that sounds straight forward. but i was wondering if this is also implying that having it in lower than 32F at all degrades the integrity of the watch. just overall further explanation of this appreciated thanks!

PS: it also mentioned being in 104F+ being bad.
for reference it is an MTGM900DA-8

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
From everything I've read here, I was under the impression that Casio's normal LCD displays can get sluggish and/or "faded-looking" in cold temperatures, and they can "black out" or read "88:88.88" when they get too hot. When they get back to normal temperatures the displays go back to normal as well.

Hopefully someone who knows more about their "low temperature resist" models can explain in more detail.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The standard lcd will fade in the cold. But on your wrist its very unlikely. Unless your body temp gets below 32 deg. or your in 0 deg weather in a tshirt. In which case the time is the least of your worrys. But i comes right back once back to temp. This time of year i leave my solars out back in any sun we can get all day to charge it was 4 deg last week and they were out there all day long. Super faded and sluggish when i brough them back in but after 10 min inside they bounced back

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
anyone with a temperature function on a watch will be able to tell you having the watch on your wrist keeps it alot warmer than the ambient (for me usually around 8-10C degrees till it gets over 30C ambient) so its rather unlikely that youll have any problem even if youre out in -40 (a friend just got back from alaska with those temps. firetruck that.) your watch isnt going to be away from your body, even if its above your cuff, your gloves will cover it anyway.
if youre really worried about it, get a 7900, low temp lcd goes down to -20C :-!

·
Registered
358 Posts
hi all, reading over my g shock manual and an excerpt from the temperature section says-- "the LCD may become difficult to read at temperatures lower than 0(32)F" now i know that sounds straight forward. but i was wondering if this is also implying that having it in lower than 32F at all degrades the integrity of the watch. just overall further explanation of this appreciated thanks!

PS: it also mentioned being in 104F+ being bad.
for reference it is an MTGM900DA-8
This is an interesting question. I want to test this on my Riseman (with temperature reading). My old watch (digital Rudy Project) is good in all of these temperature.
As I understand, you are curious to know the INTEGRITY of the watch at cold (32F to 0F) and hot (104F and up) weather condition.
It seems to me that you already know what will happen to the LCD at those temperatures. What you are after for is the INTEGRITY of the watch.
If you are after the Integrity through toughness of G-shock, there are some videos where in they froze the watch and it still survived.
If you are after the functionality and operation of the watch, I can say that It will not be compromised.
My Rudy Project watch always stays in my car. If its too cold, freezing point, the LCD is a little bit slow and blurry but all the functions are still working well.
That's why I want to test it in my Riseman. I have not read of any fail safe function of G-shock just like the power saving function.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts