184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Thread approved by Ernie Romers, site owner"

**Last Edited April 15th**
Last Changes
- weight of 143.6g is sized to a 7 1/4 wrist
- Change to a screws bracelet instead of collar and pin

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to officially announce and introduce our next project after the Viking…

The Commodore is a military inspired dive watch. I wanted to do something different and use Titanium on this model. For those who do not know Titanium is very light weight,
Hypo-Allergenic and has outstanding corrosion resistance not to mention the color and look is just looks awesome. It does scratch easier then Stainless Steel however it's also easier to maintain at the same time.

Everything on the Commodore with exception to the movement has been developed from scratch. We worked really hard to prefect the case shape and crown protectors, really something you need to see in person.. Other elements include a lumed ceramic bezel and sandwich dial with two dial options (stick baton or Arabic). There is some inside meaning to some of the design elements such as the V on top of the bezel is actually the ¼ Tempest Logo turned 90 degrees into a "V".

Initial Pencil Sketches

Dial Renderings

- Size -
Diameter: 44.5mm
Lug 2 Lug: 49mm
Thickness: 14.65mm
Lug Width: 22mm
Weight: 143.6g (sized to a 7 1/4 wrist)

- Movement -
-Miyota Calibre 9015 Automatic
-24 Jewel, Shock-Absorbed balance Shaft
-Beating at 28,800bph, 42hr Power Reserve
-Hacking Seconds, Manual Wind function

- Case -
-Titanium Case
-Titanium Case back with coin etching

- Bezel -
-Titanium Bezel
-Ceramic lumed bezel insert
-120 Click, Unidirectional

- Dial -
-Sandwich Dial (white dial features full lume dial)
-LumiBrite lume
-Orange Lumed Logo and second hand

- Bracelet -
-Solid Titanium (22mm taper to 20mm)
-Titanium micro adjustable Ratcheting Clasps

- Crystal -
-Flat Sapphire Crystal with AR coating on inside

- Ratings -
-Shock Resistant
-Water Resistance: 500m/1650ft

*Each comes with Travel Case, Tool Set, Warranty Card*

Special Pre-order Price: $598 + $45 shipping

Price will increase pre-order period is over.

A deposit of $250 is required and balance to be paid 2 weeks before shipment. Click here to order.

Estimated shipping date is around End August/Beginning September. I will keep you guys updated as we get closer to the date.

A rather famous WUS member who needs no introduction will be posting photos and initial impressions of the prototypes...

Prototypes Vs Production changes
Case/Bracelet:
-Not happy with Lume on prototypes, so this will be improved for production
-Improvements on clasps are being made
-Detail on caseback not detailed enough, this will be improved
-Fitting between bracelet and end piece will be improved
-Slight side to side play in bracelet, this will be improved
-Changed from Slightly Domed crystal to flat crystal
-Bracelet construction to be screw instead of collar and pin

Dials:
-12H "camel toe as some of you refer" on stick baton dial has been changed to squared off
-Stenciled font on Arabic has been added to 12 and 3 to balance dial

Analog watch Strap Watch accessory Watch Fashion accessory

The Commodore on a leather strap

Now comes the fun part...

Contests

5 CP watch holders will be given away for FREE! Winners will be chosen at random alternatively on WUS and Facebook fan page. No purchase necessary. The more you post/share, the better you chances.

Room Technology Photography

How to win on WUS: 3 Watch holders will be given away randomly to WUS members who post or replies on this thread. Winner will be chosen at random. The more you post the more chances to win... 1[SUP]st[/SUP] WUS winner chosen End April, 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] WUS winner chosen End June, 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] WUS winner chosen End August

How to win on Facebook: 2 watch holders will be given on our Facebook fan page (you will be able to find the facebook page with a quick search). All you need to do is share any post related to the Commodore. 1[SUP]st[/SUP] FB winner chosen End May, 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] FB winner chosen End July

· Registered
9,411 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to handle and photograph five of the Commodore prototypes. I will not do a review at this time as these were prototypes and not the finished pieces, (see Ben's post above as to the changes being made for the production pieces). I was very impressed with the design elements of these new watches from Tempest. The construction of the case, bezel and bracelet all in titanium is really nice.

First up are some photos of the black dial / stick hour marker version:

· Registered
6,086 Posts
Nicely done Ben, I see you've commited even more to the military stylings on the numbered dial and taken the 24 hour markers off the non numbered dial...... something for everyone.
Size is certainly wearable for most and the pre-order pricing is very reasonable. Just enough orange to give a splash of color but matching hour and minute hands.
good looking white diver - great changes.

· Registered
9,411 Posts
Here are a few initial comments from the opportunity to spend some time with the prototypes...

• For reference to the wrist shots above, I have a 7 1/4" wrist. I wore the black dial /stick hour marker version for a day to get used to the feel and see how it would wear. Because of the contour of the downward curving lugs and the light weight titanium I found the watch to be one of the most comfortable and well balanced dive watches I have ever worn.

• The dials are extremely legible at a quick glance.

• I love the warm tones of the titanium metal, it looks really good on the wrist.

• The bezel with it's distinct large "gear-like" contour is very eye catching.

• The caseback anchor design is a great image for the back of this watch. The prototype casebacks were nice and they are only going to improve with the production pieces.

• The titanium ratcheting clasp is perfect for fine tuning the perfect fit during temperature changes.

I am definitely looking forward to the production pieces. |>

· Registered
4,317 Posts
Here are a few initial comments from the opportunity to spend some time with the prototypes...

• For reference to the wrist shots above, I have a 7 1/4" wrist. I wore the black dial /stick hour marker version for a day to get used to the feel and see how it would wear. Because of the contour of the downward curving lugs and the light weight titanium I found the watch to be one of the most comfortable and well balanced dive watches I have ever worn.

• The dials are extremely legible at a quick glance.

• I love the warm tones of the titanium metal, it looks really good on the wrist.

• The bezel with it's distinct large "gear-like" contour is very eye catching.

• The caseback anchor design is a great image for the back of this watch. The prototype casebacks were nice and they are only going to improve with the production pieces.

• The titanium ratcheting clasp is perfect for fine tuning the perfect fit during temperature changes.

I am definitely looking forward to the production pieces. |>
great to know Dave! Those are some beautiful pictures.

· Registered
6,882 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to handle and photograph five of the Commodore prototypes. I will not do a review at this time as these were prototypes and not the finished pieces, (see Ben's post above as to the changes being made for the production pieces). I was very impressed with the design elements of these new watches from Tempest. The construction of the case, bezel and bracelet all in titanium is really nice.

First up are some photos of the black dial / stick hour marker version:

Wow, this looks nice.
Killer pics too, Tempest did the right thing with you taking pics of protos.

· Registered
1,718 Posts
Real slick pictures Demo.

· Registered
388 Posts
Loooooooooks very cool with stick markers. :)

1 - 20 of 665 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.