WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the last 2 days testing the Core and the Altis altimeter (extensively)! I wore both watches at the same time and tested the altimeter locks on both watches. I climbed up and down stairs for hours. I also took several drives with steep hills. Yesterday I took 2 walks up and down the mountain behind my house and took both watches hunting for a solid day.
The verdict: both watches performed great and were pretty much spot on with each other. The Altis adjust in 1 foot intervals. The Core adjust in 3 foot intervals. The Altis seemed to adjust to the elevation faster than the Core but I believe it is because it is adjusting more because its doing so in 1 foot intervals. The Core seems to take more time to adjust but when it does, it doesn't move up or down 1 foot at a time. Both watches do better if they are in Altimeter mode only. The Altimeter lock on both watches, (even though they operate this function differently) would be off by about 20 feet. That isn't bad at all. Both watches when they were in Altimeter mode would come back to the known altitude after the test with in 1 to 5 feet. Excellent! The barometer of both watches were exactly the same reading in every condition.

·
Registered
60 Posts
great review; I orderd the altis last week. I want the core also, but i think Ill wait until after the new year. best regards

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Great test!:-!

I sure love my Core and X10!:-!

Suunto is an awesome brand and the HighGears seems to be a great recent runner up!:-!

So what can we conclude after this?

I think it is safe to say that Suunto is the ABC leader followed closely by the HighGear and then also Nike with their Oregon series. Unfortunatelly Casio has started to fall behind with their Pathfinder line which I think is sad considering I like the brand!:-( The strangest thing is that they have worsen the performance in later years not improved it, the PRG-80 released in 2005 had some degree of temp compensation but the later PAW-1300 and PAW-1500 do not weird!:rodekaart:think:

Regarding the 1 foot resolution in the Highgears that is mostly a gimick so that they seem to have the highest resolution on the market in reality the actual sensor in the Highgear has the same 3 foot resolution as the Suunto Core simply because that is the highest resolution todays barometric sensors is capable off. The 1 foot readings is therefor achieved by mathematical guesswork based on the descent/ascent rate!

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Altis guesses pretty good because it will float the known altitude between 998ft or 999ft. The Core floats between 997 and 1001. The known altitude is 998.
I find the Altis will jump up 1 or 2 feet higher than the known altitude and then settle back to correct altitude. The Core moves slowly up just before the correct altitude and then gets there. They both seem to be doing the same calculations but at diffrent rates. IMO... I wouldn't say Suunto is better than Highgear. Its more of a Apple or Microsoft comparison. Both watches excel better than the other on certain areas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts