WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello again, is there a way to see if the atomic update is working when i go to a store to look at the watches? bluegum posted that he gets the function in australia and i would like to check if it works in the philippines before getting one.

:thanks very much

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
All of mine have a manual sync option. Keep in mind that daytime attempts are rarely as successful as those in the night so your in store test could give a false negative vs the watches actual performance at home in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The Japan atomic time broadcast stations are both rated at a 1000 KM range. The Philippines is 3000 KM away from Japan. I do not think you'll get any signal even with the most favorable atmospheric conditions. :think:

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
The Japan atomic time broadcast stations are both rated at a 1000 KM range. The Philippines is 3000 KM away from Japan. I do not think you'll get any signal even with the most favorable atmospheric conditions. :think:
Unless we're getting Japanese atomic time from satellites, the Japanese signals are traveling over 7000 km to Australia on a regular basis (several times a week they're received on my dad's watch and he doesn't even take it off to 'place it'). Philippines should be no worries.

Don't forget that ham radios can travel longs distances at night.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Unless we're getting Japanese atomic time from satellites, the Japanese signals are traveling over 7000 km to Australia on a regular basis (several times a week they're received on my dad's watch and he doesn't even take it off to 'place it'). Philippines should be no worries.

Sweet.. i didn't know aussies get could atomic signals too - this is why i havn't bothered getting an atomic g as yet.

What part if aus are u from bluegum?

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,555 Posts
Hi Golden Dragon,

From all Waveceptor models the function of manual receiving works the same. The lower right button normally gives the "GET" function (showing time of last receiving). If you press and hold this button from time keeping mode, the watch will go to manual revceiving. One tip, try this after midnight, near a window (facing Japan if possible) or maybe on an open spaceoutside.

You can try your luck. I have indeed heard about the receival of the signal in North West Australia before. If that happens by DX-reflection, it is possible you don't get the signal, but if the radiowaves curve with the earth it is possible you can receive. At night over sea radio waves can travel further than you might expect over land.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Sweet.. i didn't know aussies get could atomic signals too - this is why i havn't bothered getting an atomic g as yet.

What part if aus are u from bluegum?
We're in Brissie.

The funny part was, I assumed it wouldn't work here either and gave it to my dad essentially as a 'non-atomic' watch, but the bloody thing started to reset to Tokyo time (usually for about 3 days in a row followed by 4-5 days of no signal). The problem was that this analog exec model didn't have a 'home' setting for eastern Aus time, and no way of turning off the receiving ability. I thought I'd bought my dad a lemon, but I cunningly worked out that by calibrating the watch one hour ahead, and setting the 'home' time to Tokyo, it would keep setting perfect time for here...it works perfectly. Bear in mind that Japan doesn't have DST, so if you do in Oz, you'd need to manually reset the calibration when DST comes on.

What's also funny is that many people in LA etc have a lot of trouble getting reception due to interference whilst we in Oz (bris at least) get regular reception 7000+ km away from the source. :-d

·
Registered
747 Posts

Hmmm :think: Interesting, it could be all that water in between. I did not think of that. And just looking at the manual right now, it can be set to Hong Kong for reception and the Philippines could have the correct time setting.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Be advised that if your not really close, the manual receive won't work very well. The first atomic I bought I thought it was broken because I could never get a manual receive. I'm in the mountains in TN. I started leaving it on the window sill and I started receiving every night.. without fail.. then once I forgot and left it in the middle of my bedroom on the dresser and it received. I leave it there now and I never fail to get an update.. (automatic).. and I still cannot manually received.

Gawain

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the replies. bluegum, maybe you could explain the setting for me in detail? hard to imagine without having a g shock atomic here :D.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
thanks for all the replies. bluegum, maybe you could explain the setting for me in detail? hard to imagine without having a g shock atomic here :D.
Ah well it will depend on the model you get. On my dad's WVQ600DCA-2AV (see below), you just press the top left button once, and it'll tell you if it received the night before. You can see the tiny 'Y' and 'N' just inside and either side of the '15' on the bezel.

Note that a watch might still receive signals regularly but not necessarily daily, and the Casios will only tell you if it received the night before. I'd suspect you'd get signals in the Philippines like we do here, unless you're around lots of interference from buildings or mountains. If you're in the same time zone as Hong Kong, then all of these atomic Casios will have a 'home' setting for you which they don't for Aus (shame on Casio <|).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ahh. that's clearer now. thanks :D. i doubt that they have default for manila.
lucky we are in the same zone as beijing and hk.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Ooh, I forgot to mention GD...

...if you can find any all digital atomic Casios in the shops, just look for the 'receptor indicator' on the display, and it will tell you how strong the atomic signal is. If any show a decent strength signal, then that will most likely mean you're receiving the Japan signal and the watch will work as an atomic watch where you are.

Have a look on this model. See the 'G' down the bottom right in the circle? the more segments showing to form the letter 'G' indicates the strength of the atomic signal. If no parts of the G show up, then no signal strength is apparent at that time. Other G's have different ways of indicating the signal strength.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks man, i hope i can go to the city this weekend! i'm excited to check out the watches in the store. i want to try on the watches first to decide which one i'm getting. the nearest mall here with casio ad is about 3 hours away! :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts