WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our friendliest Australian members saw a thread I started in Affordables, about seeking a watch as a daily wearer while working in Australia for a month. (It was just one of those excuses to talk more about watches.) Seele posted to ask if I knew of J. Farren Price watches, made in Switzerland for a high-end jeweler in Sydney. Then, he went looking for a nice vintage one in Sydney, bought it, and shipped it to me in California. WUS is indeed a very unique community.

This specimen is probably mid or early 50s, with an Adolf Schild hand-wind movement, body seems to be chrome plated base metal (according to the rear plate, and confirmed by brass colored wear marks) with plexi crystal, a delicate 32mm diameter with 16mm lugs. I love the applied numbers in a slightly tiki font, very modern for the time. It winds smoothly and seems to keep pretty good time so far. (It just arrived this morning.) Good fun. I suppose I shall have to go get it cleaned if I plan to wear it often.

Thank you, Seele!

The movement photo is from Seele, the wrist shots are upon arrival:

JFPmove.jpg

RIMG0016.jpg

JFP1.jpg

JFP3.jpg

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Well Congrats to a classic looking watch and well-done seele, I have found this sort of help in here and like you said what a great community

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Skywatch,

I am glad that it met with your approval; perhaps you are now the only person in the US with a JFP watch and knows who they are.

I have walked past their shop when in the city plenty of times, but I never felt an urge to step in; after all I feel that they cater for clients whose priorities are very different from mine!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I certainly wouldn't mind owning some of those watches they sell (JLC Memovox or Master Ultra Thin, for example.) It's just the part about paying for it that I don't like. Luckily there is a market for such things, so they can exist for us to oggle occasionally. I'm happy with my humble little widgets.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
In a sense we're miles ahead of those who would only look at, and purchase high-cost watches: we can enjoy looking at theirs but they won't enjoy looking at ours!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts