WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Sam for offering to sell me a couple of his Sekonda Ultra-Thins with the 2209 Vympel movement. They arrived safely from Australia to Canada last week and today I got them outfitted with leather straps at my favorite local jeweler. Nothing fancy but they look nice. Wearing one now and I'm delighted with how lightweight and comfortable it is under a long sleeved shirt. Those Russians surely know how to dress for winter weather! :-!
I have a post in the Public Forum to acquaint my fellow Members in there with the joy of Russian movements.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I'll second that "thank you"! Sam is a great guy, he is always helpful and friendly. I am proud to call him my friend! :)

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Thanks gentlemen, it's a pleasure to share the delights of these little tickers which are surplus to me :)

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've worn both of these Sekondas now and they are a delight. Very lightweight and thin. Extremely comfortable under a long sleeved shirt and sweater. I don't know why anyone would want a huge watch in the winter time (not that you Aussies need worry for a bit.)

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
I've worn both of these Sekondas now and they are a delight. Very lightweight and thin. Extremely comfortable under a long sleeved shirt and sweater. I don't know why anyone would want a huge watch in the winter time (not that you Aussies need worry for a bit.)
Ray,

I am pleased that they continue to delight, and not causing any damage to your shirt cuffs! By the way we do have needs for long sleeves here; decades ago when Eurpean immigrants arrived here after the War they threw away their dusty old coats thinking there's no more need for them - like what a lot of people think of Australia today - but winter came they froze their kneecaps off!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I was in Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Kuwait from mid December '90 until early May '91. This was the first 'All Expense Paid Desert Vacation compliments of one Mr. Saddam Hussein (who has now assumed room temperature). That part of the world is INFAMOUS for its heat....BUT from the end of January through mid April I froze my balls off at night. I have never been colder in my life!!! I said all that to say THIS....I bet Australia gets COLDER THAN HELL! Now, winter in this part of the world is just crazy....3 weeks ago we had snow on the ground, a week later it's 80 degrees...tomorrow is expected mid 70's with BIG thunderstorms on the menu. Now, back to the subject ...I do like those Vympels! :)

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,440 Posts
Looks like there may be rush on Vympels soon. Sam, I hope you've still got some of those authentic Vympel crystals for all the new punters. There's nothing worse than being stuck with ugly glass on a Vympel. (Well maybe 'nothing' is overstating it, but you see my point)

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Chascomm,

Vympel prices has seen significant increase over the past year and a half, normally it is the Poljot-branded ones which are more costly but it seems the buyers have discovered eBay UK and the Sekonda-branded version and prices of these are on the up as well. There again you can get lucky: a relatively recent purchase is my Poljot-built, gold-on-gold-on-gold version, less than £10 including postage but I think it's more like a fluke really.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

... new replacement hands to arrive soon.

By the way my replacement crystals are not original at all, original ones can still be had from Sekonda UK headquarters, but mine are low-profile compatibles which shave a millimetre from the overall thickness, making it feel even slimmer. Of course, the hands need to be very carefully set to prevent the second hand banging against the inside.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Left my Sekondas in the house while working outside today. It was around -10C here last night and we were supposed to get some snow flurries. Instead we ended up with 15 cm of new snow. Had to take out the snowblower again.
Now the temperature is supposed to go from -6C tonight to +11C tomorrow and stay mild all this week. I'll still stay with long sleeves and the Sekondas I think.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
May I count myself as another "victim" of Seele's enthusiasm! :-!
When Sam and I met in Sydney last month he was wearing his black-dial Sekonda.
I was enamored and went e-shopping as soon as I got home.
Now I have a couple on the way, including one of those from Sam.
I'm a sucker for elegant slim watches, and this movement is quite interesting for its slimness.
Thanks, Sam! (You are truly an enabler....) - RR

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
You are most welcomed, Skywatch! Good to make more people to be aware of Russian/Belarussian watches, and also a deeper appreciation too!

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My experience with the Sekondas has certainly corrected my initial impression that to collect Russian watches you had to want to look like a jet pilot, cosmonaut, submarine commander or tank driver. There are lots of great looking, comfortable and affordable dress models out there. Some are Soviet era vintage like the Sekondas, but the current Russian makers like Vostok, Raketa and Volmax also make some nice pieces.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Ray,

Probably with the exception of the UK and perhaps a few other countries on the "other side" of the political railroad track, few were aware of Soviet watches prior to the dissolution, and those who were aware of them, thought that Komandirskies were the only ones made there! The varied and vibrant Soviet watch industry certainly created countless styles and the majority of styles made were dressier watches which are still relatively inexpensive. Sekonda UK distributed selected models over the years and even some exclusive ones which I find quite appealing: member Sekondtime would certainly agree with that! One thing for sure: in my humble collection, dress watches from all the other makers outnumber the better known "tool watches" by a huge margin, and I am quite pleased about that too.

By the way: eventually another gold-and-black Luch-built Sekonda de luxe will be rebuilt from the ground up, I'll think about what to do with that!

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My experience with Soviet made goods prior to the fall of the Iron Curtain was limited to those tank-like Zenit SLRs and Lada motorcars - neither one inspired a lot of confidence as a consumer item.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Package arrived from Sam today, or shall we refer to him as "Seele Vympel-Seed"? This Sekonda 2209 is in excellent condition and has taken its place as the thinnest mechanical watch in my collection, at 7mm beating my Nomos by 1mm. (Oh, wait, it ties with a Gubelin I inherited from my grandfather.) I have two more Luch 2209 incoming soon, one a potential redial, but I think this one is in the best condition of all of them. I took some photos to try to show off the beautiful flat replacement crystal. Thank you, Seele!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Close-up

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Skywatch,

I am glad to hear that you enjoy it; I do not think I have what it takes to be a professional dealer but it's just that I like them enough to keep getting them, and keep having them restored by my watchmaker: when I end up with duplicates or triplicates I often look at them and say, "what happened here?" :-d

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Skywatch,

I am glad to hear that you enjoy it; I do not think I have what it takes to be a professional dealer but it's just that I like them enough to keep getting them, and keep having them restored by my watchmaker: when I end up with duplicates or triplicates I often look at them and say, "what happened here?" :-d

I completely understand. I saw your watch and one month later I have triplicates. I think Vympels are Tribbles in disguise. :-d

1 - 19 of 19 Posts