WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to take a moment to say thank you to WUS and the community. The information available on this forum is invaluable and I appreciate the time and energy everyone has put into documenting their opinions, observations, and recommendations. I have owned a single Tissot Quartz chronograph for about 7 years that my wife gifted me. I have recently decided to add a dress(ier) watch to my collection and have spent about a month reading the forums and learning as much as possible. I am a geek at heart and the intricacy of automatic/manual movements and classic and simple design appeals to me. As such, I have been considering a Christopher Ward Malvern C5 MkII, Orient Star Classic, Tissot Le Locle, and watching ebay for vintage hand-winds. My budget for the new watch was initially around $250 but feel the budget stretch would yield something that I could wear and enjoy for a decade or more. I am not specifically looking for any recommendations but it felt appropriate as background.

This post might be a bit off-topic but WUS doesn't have an introduction section so I thought I would post this in the sub-forum that I have been reading most.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate! No worries on posting here; that's what we're here for. You've definitely been looking in the right places from what I can see. $250 is a decent budget but your right in the respect that upping it can yield a few more options. The Tissot Visodate is definitely within reach in the $350-$400 range if you don't mind buying pre-owned. The Orient Bambino or Millennium also comes to mind. Also, you could always stay within budget and go with something from Seagull. They make a watch very similar to the Le Locle for around $199. There's plenty out there so take a bit of time to sift through it all and decide.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Welcome to the WUS! Enjoy your time here and post some pics when you get your new piece!

·
Premium Member
40,677 Posts
Yes, everyone here likes to help and enjoy discussions, but if we're honest all we really want is pictures of watches!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The Orient Star Classic has the date window quite small in my opinion. If you do not care too much for the Power Reserve complication I would recommend the Orient Star Vintage.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Welcome to the club! I probably spend about 90% of my WUS time in the affordables forum and frequently post slightly off topic threads just because this place feels most like home.

$250 is a perfectly good amount of money but I have to agree that a little stretching will certainly get you to new heights of watchdom, particularly if you want to go mechanical/automatic rather than quartz (not that there is any tangible benefit to doing so).

For starter, let me introduce my latest $280 pickup!

8223498603_4f23c16cdf_z.jpg

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Welcome! Looks like you have been doing quite a bit of research and have some really nice options selected. Make sure to share some pics when you get your new watch. Happy hunting

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Welcome to the club! I probably spend about 90% of my WUS time in the affordables forum and frequently post slightly off topic threads just because this place feels most like home.

$250 is a perfectly good amount of money but I have to agree that a little stretching will certainly get you to new heights of watchdom, particularly if you want to go mechanical/automatic rather than quartz (not that there is any tangible benefit to doing so).

For starter, let me introduce my latest $280 pickup!

View attachment 894976
Careful, this Pflaumer's possibly a secret Swiss watch industry agent provocateur. Suspect he works for ETA sewing nuggets of misinformtion amongst the Affordables crowd.

Agree about the quartz, though.

Ric

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Careful, this Pflaumer's possibly a secret Swiss watch industry agent provocateur. Suspect he works for ETA sewing nuggets of misinformtion amongst the Affordables crowd.
Haha, you wouldn't say that if you saw me lovingly admiring my Alpinist! Or knew about the huge pile of JDM Seikos I would have if I didn't limit myself to one watch per brand (an odd rule, but it sure helps keep the total number down!)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome.

... The Tissot Visodate is definitely within reach in the $350-$400 range if you don't mind buying pre-owned. The Orient Bambino or Millennium also comes to mind. Also, you could always stay within budget and go with something from Seagull. They make a watch very similar to the Le Locle for around $199. There's plenty out there so take a bit of time to sift through it all and decide.
I like the Visodate but I feel the day + date window takes up too much space. I also don't care for the script/font choice. I spent a lot of time looking at both the Bambino and the Millenium(sic) and really like them both. I am considering the others primarily due to the additional attention found in the more expensive models and the additional features like hacking and hand wind. This might be a misconception but I feel the $300-400 price point puts a majority of features in reach but doesn't start to cross into details that require a microscope to enjoy.

·
5,150 Posts
Stop posting Alpinist pictures! That itch on my wrist is getting worse and worse.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Stop posting Alpinist pictures! That itch on my wrist is getting worse and worse.
I already told him that in another thread lol. Your killing me Drew. It's like waving candy in front of a baby. One more thread with a sarb017 picture and my wallet's gonna be a whole lot lighter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I have decided to wait on purchasing something more expensive. I enjoy tinkering with things and felt I should start with something less expensive but still dressy. I pulled the trigger on an HMT Janata screwback (my first mechanical!) after reading all the reviews and threads about them. The watch was running a bit slow so I decided to try my hand at adjusting it :). I also learned not to put the watch facing up with the back cover off....Below are a few quick pictures I thought I would share with everyone.

hmt_janata_face_010213_01.jpg

hmt_janata_movement_010213_01.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts