WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My collection pretty much complete. I have resonable number of watches . Like them all and keep them in rotation.

However from time to time I'm catching myself considering what could be my next piece in collection.

Did you ever had any of those unreasonable ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
449 Posts
My collection pretty much complete. I have resonable number of watches . Like them all and keep them in rotation.

However from time to time I'm catching myself considering what could be my next piece in collection.

Did you ever had any of those unreasonable ideas?

All the time. I think it familiarity and boredom. I miss the dopamine and seratonin pump that comes from hunting and finding a new watch.

Got a SOTC pic?

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the time. I think it familiarity and boredom. I miss the dopamine and seratonin pump that comes from hunting and finding a new watch.

Got a SOTC pic?

What is SOTC?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Got a SOTC pic?

+ SMP300

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some really nice looking divers you have there... thought about adding a Seiko Prospect?

Thanks. Theorethically speaking I always wanted Prospect. But every time in the store I cannot justify spending money on this because I got my eyes on Speedy.

...Just wondering how people get over urge to get something new for the collection.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Here are a few useful mind games that you can place with yourself to avoid buying.

Search for design flaws and various subjective imperfections. No watch is perfect, if you can focus on the flaws of the newest object of your desire you may avoid a purchase.

Consider what other watches in your current collection have similarities with the one you’re looking at. Avoiding overlap may prevent you from making a purchase.

Try to find the cheapest place to buy that specific model. There’s always a better price somewhere. Then once you’ve found the cheapest place, don’t buy it there because it’s sketchy, and don’t buy it elsewhere because it’s more expensive.

Try to find the a similar less expensive watch from a different brand. For example, if you want a Lange 1, consider the GO Panomatic, then realize that you don’t want the GO because it’s like a poor man’s version of the L1, but the L1 is overpriced relative to the GO.

Convince yourself that you want a special edition of the watch, and discover that it is conveniently to hard to find and/or too expensive.

Research the hell out of the model you’re looking at until you get bored of it. Most enthusiasm fades with time.

SERVICING. That should be enough to put a full stop to most watch purchases. Consider the expense, the time spent off wrist, the uncertainty as to whether it will be done properly. This one is the clincher for me.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Here are a few useful mind games that you can place with yourself to avoid buying.

Search for design flaws and various subjective imperfections. No watch is perfect, if you can focus on the flaws of the newest object of your desire you may avoid a purchase.

Consider what other watches in your current collection have similarities with the one you’re looking at. Avoiding overlap may prevent you from making a purchase.

Try to find the cheapest place to buy that specific model. There’s always a better price somewhere. Then once you’ve found the cheapest place, don’t buy it there because it’s sketchy, and don’t buy it elsewhere because it’s more expensive.

Try to find the a similar less expensive watch from a different brand. For example, if you want a Lange 1, consider the GO Panomatic, then realize that you don’t want the GO because it’s like a poor man’s version of the L1, but the L1 is overpriced relative to the GO.

Convince yourself that you want a special edition of the watch, and discover that it is conveniently to hard to find and/or too expensive.

Research the hell out of the model you’re looking at until you get bored of it. Most enthusiasm fades with time.

SERVICING. That should be enough to put a full stop to most watch purchases. Consider the expense, the time spent off wrist, the uncertainty as to whether it will be done properly. This one is the clincher for me.
I agree with much of this advice. Particularly useful for me is the service cost. That mental math exercise convinced me to reduce my collection from 28 to 10. Now I have a strict 1 in/1 out policy, which means for every potential purpose I have to decide which watch is going in order to make room for the new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
Yeah sometime but nothing that causes urgency . . . I've bought and sold enough watches that move me and, like you, have pretty much the ones that will stay. Whenever something catches my eye now it dawns on me that I've had at least one, typically more, that look pretty much the same so I move on rather quickly. Maybe a distinctive (for/to me) new model or a really great price for an up to now financially out of reach piece will come my way to disturb the contentment, we'll see, time will tell as always . . .

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I keep telling myself each new watch I buy makes the others I have that much less special.

It's worked well - haven't bought anything in over a year (holding at 8).

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

This is absolutely amazing ideas.
Service costs should constantly considered.

Looking for similar watch also good idea. The only thingis - there is not many homages for Speedy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is the best advice I’ve seen yet!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts