WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Feeding my new addiction... I received this one this morning.

I love this watch! The pictures make it look huge, but it's quite a small watch compared to a modern piece. The Gladiator is also substantially lighter than many modern watches. No photo I can make (not with this iPhone!), or have seen from the seller, do justice to its real world appearance. Original dial with some light patina (does not detract from appearance), and hands - I was initially worried about the hands but it turns out that they are indeed typical of a Gladiator. Other photos online show black hands so there may have been a few variations.

Above I have it pictured next to a modern Bulova 96A135 automatic that I'm wearing, and again on my wrist. The 96A135 has at least twice the volume of the Gladiator if you consider the depth of both cases also. I wear watches slightly loose so they can move around - otherwise my wrist feels strangled ;). The 96A135 moves around as gravity dictates and feels solid (and heavy) on the wrist, but the Gladiator is so lightweight that it sits in place without any noticeable heft. The friction from even a loose strap is sufficient to hold it in place. Here's a photo of the 10AN movement (from the seller) - I am not opening this up for the moment for fear of tempting fate and having some idle piece of dust float by and wreak havoc on it ;).

I wouldn't qualify the very audible steady ticking of the movement as a purr, but the movement is rolling those hands onwards. Perhaps a wee bit too fast though ;). I'm going to check how it keeps time over the course of a day on the flat, but it is accelerating in defiance of known physics out of the gate. I certainly will not be late for any morning appointments! I'm not complaining - this is a nearly 85 year old wristwatch and I'm delighted to have it.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Nice watch.
Enjoy

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Good pickup; the early Bulova's, in particular, represent extremely high quality construction for the price. My only concern was the length of the second hand...it seems to extend over the seconds track at the 15 and 45 second sections), which is unusual. Other gladiators I've seen have smaller second hand that just sweeps the inside track. That's a fairly minor concern though.

If it's running fast even with the regulator pushed over to "S/R", that means it needs servicing (and possibly a new mainspring).

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Elegant, small, with a great sense of detail. I love it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Good pickup; the early Bulova's, in particular, represent extremely high quality construction for the price. My only concern was the length of the second hand...it seems to extend over the seconds track at the 15 and 45 second sections), which is unusual. Other gladiators I've seen have smaller second hand that just sweeps the inside track. That's a fairly minor concern though.

If it's running fast even with the regulator pushed over to "S/R", that means it needs servicing (and possibly a new mainspring).
The seconds hand extends past inside track by not more than 1mm. I just adjusted the time, rewound a little (couple of turns), wound the crown back a half turn, and set it off with a slight tap of the finger. It is now apparently (given a 30 min check) keeping good time and has figured out which spacetime it belongs to.

Edit: 3hrs after the rewind and running accurately. No sign of it running fast at all now!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
These early Bulova represent a great value in a vintage watch. I also have a 1930 Bulova, a Lone Eagle:

You'll note that there should be a celluoid (early plastic) dust cover over the movement for protection. The date symbol actually looks like an Omega.

Very nice watch,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Some fine craftsmanship there

Sent from my 16M

1 - 10 of 10 Posts