WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For as long as I can remember, each of my watches can't last more than 1 year.
Finally, I got a G-Shock that lasted 8 years!

I have always been a 1-watch guy until I joined WUS 2 years ago.

During the past 2 years, I build up a small collection of 4 watches.
Of those 4, 2 have failed. I had to replace the bracelet of a third.

I don't think I'm rough on watches.
Accidents happen; my Casio failure was from < 3ft drop from night stand
which knocked its minute hand loose.

The frequent breakage is preventing me from considering expensive watches.

So, I'm wondering: generally, how often does your watch break?

Attachments

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,036 Posts
The only two times I broke a watch was 30 and 40 years ago. Same Omega Seamaster dropped to the pavement from a broken strap and was slammed into a soccer goal post. Watch maker fixed it both times and I learned my lesson. Haven't broken one since. You may want to rethink how you wear and store your watches.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I have three modern watches that I have had for more than a couple of years. I have had all three for about 15-16 years. Two of those watches have been serviced once and he other has been serviced twice. The only one that damaged was my Sub and it had the bezel jam up after hitting the ceiling of a plane in severe turbulence.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts

Nah! It's ya watches fault, one picked a fight with a rock while the other one jumped off the night stand

Well, ya need to learn how to keep em on ya wrist

I'm rough on watches, no failures so far, maybe I've just been lucky

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
In 26 years of collecting, I had 3 watches fail me. One was a quartz that I dropped about 4ft on a tile floor (it made a sickening sound...). One was a mechanical watch that was dropped on a tile floor from about 4ft by my then 9yo niece, bending a crown protector. The last one was a mechanical chronograph whose upper pusher stopped working abruptly.
So, the only one that wasn't due to a traumatic event (the chrono), had that problem roughly 2 years from when I bought it.

All other watches I owned - we are talking probably about 40 watches or so - never had a problem.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really ?

I may be more accident prone as wife describes me as somewhat careless,
but it is hard to believe that you don't suffer even remotely as many.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah! It's ya watches fault, one picked a fight with a rock while the other one jumped off the night stand

Well, ya need to learn how to keep em on ya wrist

I'm rough on watches, no failures so far, maybe I've just been lucky
Obviously, I don't mean the breakages were the faults of my watches.

Just by using a watch often enough, I think the watch will encounter some impact or other events.

For example, I've been putting watches on my night stand (because I don't wear them to sleep); never had an issue until a few days ago.
The Citizen's rock impact happened during a wipeout, a freak event when a rock was near.

I think each of my breakages happened differently and totally unexpected, but all due to blunt trauma.
Most happened while I was wearing it.

I'm very surprised that others have much better luck than I.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Obviously, I don't mean the breakages were the faults of my watches.

Just by using a watch often enough, I think the watch will encounter some impact or other events.

For example, I've been putting watches on my night stand (because I don't wear them to sleep); never had an issue until a few days ago.
The Citizen's rock impact happened during a wipeout, a freak event when a rock was near.

I think each of my breakages happened differently and totally unexpected, but all due to blunt trauma.
Most happened while I was wearing it.

I'm very surprised that others have much better luck than I.
Try a Timex ..... Timex Takes a Lickin.jpg

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I'm very hard on my watches. A few days of normal wear, of not worrying about the watch, and they end up with scratches and dings all over.

I've never broken a watch.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
Prior to WISdom I was a one watch guy. The cheap quartz I used to buy would last 5 years or so. Even then they were usually still working. I just replaced them when they started to look scratched and beat up. Since collecting watches I've only broken one. Was a winding pinion on an Oris. Note to others - go easy on winding those ETA 2824's!

·
Registered
314 Posts

What casio is that? Never heard or had it happen to me when I drop a watch the minute hands come off. I might have a cheap watch the the hands came off but the watch was a$4 watch.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its a Casio Protrek PRG550. I really like the watch, but it's a bit too delicate for my uses.

Interestingly my watches don't have many scratches.
I'm careful with my things, and I'd take off my watch if I think I'm doing things that might hurt them whenever convenient.

My watches look great until they suddenly die.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Its a Casio Protrek PRG550. I really like the watch, but it's a bit too delicate for my uses.

Interestingly my watches don't have many scratches.
I'm careful with my things, and I'd take off my watch if I think I'm doing things that might hurt them whenever convenient.

My watches look great until they suddenly die.
I think within one year too, dropped my SRP023 onto tile floor by accident while putting it on, not used to leather strap back then. Surprisingly, no cosmetic damage, but ever since then, the watch has run a bit slower, but I put up with that. Otherwise, like you, I try to be super careful with my watches. I've developed new habits of moving my arm over time that protects my watches. No desk diving, no showering with a watch on, no vigorous activities involving lots of arm movements while I have a nicer watch on, etc. Keeps them nicer looking for longer.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I've never had a watch break.

The closest I've come is when the springbar of a Hamilton popped when I hit it against the sideview mirror of my car and the watch dropped to the pavement. It left a nasty dent in a lug, but the watch still ran perfectly. I couldn't live with the damage so I eventually sent it away to Hamilton to be re-cased.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
My Planet Ocean chipped the glaze of the floor tile it landed on after a three foot drop.
The tile left a little scuff of the edge the watch landed on.

Didn't notice anything too amiss with the watch's performance but I guess I'll find out when I get it serviced, whether anything is abnormal inside.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I think within one year too, dropped my SRP023 onto tile floor by accident while putting it on, not used to leather strap back then. Surprisingly, no cosmetic damage, but ever since then, the watch has run a bit slower, but I put up with that. Otherwise, like you, I try to be super careful with my watches. I've developed new habits of moving my arm over time that protects my watches. No desk diving, no showering with a watch on, no vigorous activities involving lots of arm movements while I have a nicer watch on, etc. Keeps them nicer looking for longer.
Your Seiko can be regulated. The jolt from the fall must have moved the regulating lever, it can be moved back

Reactions: rdoder

·
Premium Member
61,485 Posts
Iv'e never yet bust a watch though saying that my DJ did once stop working. That was a once in a lifetime experience I don't wish to re-live. Been faced with a dead Rolex isn't very pleasant.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Your Seiko can be regulated. The jolt from the fall must have moved the regulating lever, it can be moved back
You're right. I thought about getting it regulated, but I know that any time a watchmaker opens a watch, there's a chance that the watchmaker could break something. After all, he/she is only human, and I've read horror stories here of watches coming back after service or repair looking worse than before. Or at the very least, the movement will get dust/debris in there when the watchmaker opens it. The watch has a see-through caseback. Being OCD, I won't like the dust, I'd ask the watchmaker to keep cleaning it, and he'd want to kill me. Plus I think I'd need to pay for a watchmaker to regulate it, so being cheap, I don't bother. The watch runs maybe a few seconds slow a day, and I don't wear it everyday, so I let it be. Thought about regulating it myself, but I talked to some watch store people about that, and they said it's tricky. It's easy to move the lever too much one way or the other. Plus I don't have the time grapher thingie gadget or other watchmaking tools, so I just leave it for now and maybe it'd get fixed if/when I eventually get it serviced.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts