WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, start saving your $$$$$$$.

I understand the watch was not released at Basal because they did not have any to display. But I have from a very reliable source the watches are in production and will be available early 2009.

Here are the specs.

Technical details:

Movement:
OMEGA Co-Axial, calibre 8500
Case:
Water resistant up to: 1200m
Sapphire bezel and crystal
Bi-directional rotating bezel with security push-button to lock the bezel
Screwed-in and protected winding crown at 9 o'clock
Seamaster medallion on the caseback with anti-slip groove pattern
Bracelet:
The new OMEGA "shark" bracelet or rubber strap can be adjusted for wear over a diving suit up to 7mm thick thanks to a double extension system:
- a new slider clasp, allowing fine adjustments
- a special diver extension

The watch has a MSRP of CHF 8,000 on the mesh or roughly $7,700.

I hope to be able to post some pictures.

Todd

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I appreciate the historical significance of this watch. From that perspective, I guess I can see how a collector would be driven to get an original.
I must confess, however, the design has never appealed to me. I just don't get it. Maybe if I were in a different Tax bracket or something?
:think::think::think:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the historical significance of this watch. From that perspective, I guess I can see how a collector would be driven to get an original.
I must confess, however, the design has never appealed to me. I just don't get it. Maybe if I were in a different Tax bracket or something?
Steve, Put one on your wrist and you will understand! Probably the best tool watch design ever.

Todd

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I was hoping that if they did reissue the Ploprof that it would be a bit more affordable.

Todd
Todd, I think that your desires and the Swatch Group's plans are not heading in the same direction. From everything we've seen lately, there won't be any more "affordable" Omegas coming out in the foreseeable future (at least not relative to their current offerings). In-house means out of my price range.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I was hoping that if they did reissue the Ploprof that it would be a bit more affordable.
Todd, "affordable" is "out", get used to it. :-(

Newer, wealthier Chinese, Indian and Russian, etc. business people and generally successful / wealthy people outside Europe and North America have much more to spend than "traditional" wealthy people from the "old world" (us and our Euro friends).

That is, a new millionaire from, say, Russia has LOTS LOTS more to spend than a millionaire from an "established" wealthy family in say, Canada. Plus, the "newer wealthy" people want to spend money on BIG items with lots of bling and big cachet, and the more expensive the item, the best it is.

They even have "luxury conventions" now in Russia (saw that in a TV program) where all the super high end companies get together and pitch their products (kinda like the Chicago Auto Show, but for anything expensive, from floor tiles to yachts - and watches, yeah).

So who do you think Omega, Blancpain, TAG, Rolex et al. will target now? Us WIS or the people forming the "new wealth" market segment? And, the prices have to be high to be "desirable". Win-Win for the high price goods companies, lose-lose for us.

I am not kidding.

Example: I saw a program this week. In China, having a Mercedes Benz is not the sign of having "made it". It's having a Bentley. And Bentley can't make enough of their cars to satisfy the demand of the new millionaires in China! They just can't make them quick enough for export!

Seriously, this explains a lot of the "upward trend" in high end watch prices when you think of it.

Now, do you understand when I say, "affordable is out"?

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
I was seriously hoping for around $5,500 USD but I think affordable has passed us "regular" folks by. I'll stick with the Ocean 7 as I've become absolutely enamored with the brand and the company. DMB saw my two a few weeks ago and he was "astonished" at the quality.

Todd

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
I was seriously hoping for around $5,500 USD but I think affordable has passed us "regular" folks by. I'll stick with the Ocean 7 as I've become absolutely enamored with the brand and the company. DMB saw my two a few weeks ago and he was "astonished" at the quality.

Todd
Yep, as the traditional brands price themselves out of the range of most people, other companies like O7 will fill that gap. That's fine with me, as I don't really care about having a 'name' on my wrist.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Does anybody know the cost of the Original Ploprof? I cannot see they were "cheap" at that time!
If we know the original cost at what year, it would be intersting to calculate the cost in "todays" money!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I couldn't have said it better myself Steve!! I just don't see it... I'm sure it's a great watch, but... ICK!!!!JMO

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
OK guys, start saving your $$$$$$$.

I understand the watch was not released at Basal because they did not have any to display. But I have from a very reliable source the watches are in production and will be available early 2009.

Here are the specs.

Technical details:

Movement:
OMEGA Co-Axial, calibre 8500
Case:
Water resistant up to: 1200m
Sapphire bezel and crystal
Bi-directional rotating bezel with security push-button to lock the bezel
Screwed-in and protected winding crown at 9 o'clock
Seamaster medallion on the caseback with anti-slip groove pattern
Bracelet:
The new OMEGA "shark" bracelet or rubber strap can be adjusted for wear over a diving suit up to 7mm thick thanks to a double extension system:
- a new slider clasp, allowing fine adjustments
- a special diver extension

The watch has a MSRP of CHF 8,000 on the mesh or roughly $7,700.

I hope to be able to post some pictures.

Todd
Great stuff Todd!:-!.I'm going to get one i've already targeted a bank/post office oh wait i've said too much!:).I can't wait to see first official scans.Thanks again bud!
Mannu

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.