WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
6,145 Posts
I didn't officially participate last year but I lurked and made some comment in the 2018 thread mainly because I found the frequent posters interesting, knowledgeable, funny, and to some degree insane. 2018 on a grading scale for me would have been a strong D--- / F+ in my own opinion as I bought and sold watches like a drunken sailor. I ended up selling two watches that really should have and could have become my exit watch, either of them. One was a simple Swiss and one was a higher end Japanese. I won't mention them because the pain is still there.

I began 2018 rather healthy owning ONLY two watches that I enjoyed very much. The Seiko Sumo admittedly was a 3rd time "re-buy" and the Damasko DA37 was the second Damasko I had ever owned, the first being a DA36. Both of these got sold in 2018 and the floodgates opened WIDE to include two other Damasko versions that were quickly flipped for within $10 of what I paid for them. Several Seiko divers, the longest tenured one that I still own was purchased in March of 2018. I actually love this watch and if it was 38mm-39mm it would easily be my exit piece. As it stands however it always seems to wear just a shade too big for my liking....still, it has remained. Shortly thereafter I bought the SRP775 (never have mounted on the pristine OEM bracelet...always worn on rubber)...another really cool Seiko but my least worn piece since it arrived in April of last year. I went on a Grand Seiko 9F buying binge and still have 2 of the 3 I purchased in my watchbox. For less than a couple days Starbucks orders I picked up two classic but low dollar Casio digitals and then followed that up with a Solar Tough G-Shock. The G-Shock traditionally got worn on days I was expecting a new watch arrival/delivery. There are others that get short term binge worn, an in-house manufacture BALL Engineer "M" that is superb but at 43mm simply too big... a Carl F Bucherer Patravi Autodate which at 38mm and on an IWC Alligator strap gets the most wrist-time lately. Recently picked up a 3rd time re-buy of a Seiko Orange Monster (Gen2) and a quirky 1988 Seiko 36mm quartz diver on jingle jangle jubilee. The only one I hadn't mentioned until now is a forum purchased Seiko 6309-7049 from January of 1979 that unfortunately had to have an entire movement replacement at a local watch shop.

Where I stand entering 2019 does not make me very happy with myself. I am going to take charge and get back down to that breathable, comfort zone of maybe 2-3 watches by selling off the majority of this box's contents. There is even the possibility that they ALL would be sold and I would either decide to keep the SBDC053 which is my gut feeling or purchase ONE wristwatch in the $4000-$6000 range that really is quality enough to be my "EXIT". Potential candidates for that would be a 38mm Zenith El Primero, 36mm Rolex Explorer I, 36mm Rolex Datejust, 36mm IWC Pilot, or 37mm Grand Seiko Automatic. Lets see how that works out!

I'm IN.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Ending 2018 with 12 wristwatches..... Goal in 2019 to have no more than 3!
Analog watch Watch Fashion accessory Glass Clock

· Registered
6,145 Posts
That's a bold plan. You certainly have plenty of duplication in there that you could consolidate. I would caution you, based on my own experience, to think twice before selling a watch you currently wear a lot. You might find yourself missing it and tempted to repurchase. Maybe keep the Patravi for a while after you buy your exit watch to make sure you are really done with it.

Doc Savage
I'd echo what Hotblack says, don't rush in to selling things off and then regretting it as that seems to be a pattern a fair number of us have done.......
Well, they are just objects I've purchased along the way with none really sharing any significantly special personal history or memories. I have no regrets if they all left truly. I think that is a healthy way to approach it.

· Registered
6,145 Posts
Status update:

the outgoing Maen Hudson has been traded away, for a ... seiko turtle. Yep. I guess this fits with the "one in one out" rule.
Trades are good. I received my straight up trade side of the deal yesterday, my first Spring Drive. I'm still looking to get from 12 pieces to maybe 3 and this actually helped while not reducing my total. Hoping to list some sales these next couple of weeks and gift some watches to family. Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Black Fashion accessory

· Registered
6,145 Posts
Over the last week I have either sold to individual member or given away to family 4 wristwatches from my “collection”. Now I am in the market for a new automobile so that has been taking up most of my internet searching lately. After a Grand Seiko Quartz Diver trade for a Grand Seiko Spring Drive SBGA101 I have pretty much worn it exclusively since that pleasant transaction. At around 40mm in stainless steel black dial on bracelet with a touch of lume and 100m water resistant plus screw down crown, it has likely become my GADA and exit watch. Sure I still have 4 other Seiko pieces, all divers but they probably won’t get any wrist time and they are roughly valued at around 2 years worth of car insurance payments.

After wearing the GS I pretty much lost interest in my other watches although I might keep one other among the remaining 7. My GS 9F probably gets chopped though because that’s a nice chunk of change sitting in a Watch box itself. Oddly enough when the search for a new vehicle entered my brain, my lust for watches came to a screeching halt as well. Becoming a 2 watch guy soon perhaps and let others enjoy the ones I turn loose of.

· Registered
6,145 Posts
Jeez, I completely missed that that was the same person posting those two things. Woooooow. Yeeah if you have that GS then the presage is completely unnecessary.
Completely unnecessary.
)+++
(I'm 17 days straight with this GS. Shopping for an automobile will quell the desire for wristwatches. AND the GS helps!)
Watch Wrist Analog watch Watch accessory Strap

· Registered
6,145 Posts
There are several items for sale or to be repaired and sold soon, so I'm guessing that by Easter my watch fund will be pretty big.

Two choices, one last big purchase or recoup the funds.

Current favorite, Grand Seiko SBGH 205. Bash away

If thinking GS high beat maybe this limited one would be my personal choice but if it doesn't appeal to you perhaps you cull the "collection" and this becomes your solid daily wear piece, go for it.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

· Registered
6,145 Posts
Well I failed WPAC yesterday evening when I purchased a JDM variant SARX053 blue enamel dial Seiko Presage. I had worn my Grand Seiko Spring Drive for over 3 weeks straight and was tempted to "rebuy" the blue enamel Japanese cousin of the SPB069 LE blue enamel that I purchased from Topper new last year and sold abruptly in 2018. It was the only watch I ever had a true compliment on from a stranger, an attractive blonde at Starbucks seated near me.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

· Registered
6,145 Posts
What's done is done I suppose.

So, what is leaving your collection as a result?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
My Ball Engineer "M" left prior to this purchase. I also gave away 3 Casio digitals. I'm hoping to not purchase any other watches in 2019, have no real plans to do so.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Font

· Registered
6,145 Posts
Were we given opportunity to bash the Seiko ?
Nope. Have at it. I'm in for $825 shipped and expecting delivery tomorrow. I'm not especially proud to have failed and the Blonde Starbucks encounter while true wasn't a deciding factor and was tongue in cheek reference.

· Registered
6,145 Posts
Frankly watches are boring me once again and I’m quite happy for that. Some will say that it is a matter of time before one begins a new search but I just don’t see that happening. If anything I will continue to purge the box and not replace. Buying the JDM Seiko SARX053 enamel was probably a mistake but I shouldn’t get hurt financially with a sale because my entry point was slightly below market. Typically just throwing on the Grand Seiko 9F lately. I like the simplicity, comfort, and accuracy that it brings.

Only one other time in the last 5 years have I had such a lull of disinterest and that lasted at least 6 months and I didn’t have any wristwatch as fine as the GS. Contemplating a house move sometime in 2019 so the $5-6K worth of watches would come in handy when that time comes as well. That’s my update.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.