WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

· Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I bought 2 watches in 2018 (one was 1-in-1-out), and was given a family heirloom watch to look over for the family. I'm not buying anything in 2019, I'm saving. C grade for me. I like the rules for 2019, kudos on those. Happy early New Year to all, and I truly wish everyone a good year in all respects~

Here's where I stand (the oooold Hamilton's actually not as gross as it looks in the first picture):
Iron Window Glass Metal Architecture

Hamilton
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

· Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I just successfully bashed myself. I feel like a dress watch is kind of a social requirement. When I started this whole watch adventure, I really felt drawn to the Hamilton Intra-Matic, 38mm, silver dial. But I bought an Orient Bambino that looked very similar to test drive.

Thinking about upgrading the collection, I began to look at the Hamilton again. I still find it gorgeous. But... I only wear the Bambino on Sundays and the occasional wedding. And the Bambino is quite adequate.

So, I'm not buying the Hamilton.

Thank you, WPAC, for the inspiration!
Fantastic! The Bambino is at least adequate (if not better) imho, having owned the Intra-Matic 38 silver. I think the Bambino's quite elegant. My 2 cents.

Happy Thursday~

· Premium Member
4,376 Posts
@ Hornet, I almost bought the BLRO last year (at MSRP), to try as my exit watch. I realized quickly that I'd have missed my dress watch and chronograph, and decided I'm not done slowly experimenting with watches.

That pesky exit watch... I've only encountered 1 person on here (I'm sure there are many more) who's found a long-term 1-watch collection. It was a GS, he'd had it for several years.

Happy Wednesday everyone~

· Premium Member
4,376 Posts
That's an expensive watch Todd, I reckon you'd have regretted that. Lucky miss......
No question. $9500, although looking at the prices they're selling for, it would've been a good flip. Nonetheless, absolutely no regrets, and I agree @ lucky miss. I feel like the first watch purchase in that price range would make another $8k piece even easier to pull the trigger on. That's the antithesis of what I want in the hobbie (and right now doubly, as I want abstinence). In a decade when I'm 50 with a *fantasy abundance of funds*, perhaps.

· Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Ok another round of bashing... I know I know, should not be looking around for watches... but sick in bed for the past three days, only so many distractions till I arrive at this...

Aristo type A flieger, 38.5mm, grade 5 titanium. Always wanted a pilot, but never found one that ticks the right boxes. This one does. Also love the concave bezel.
Cardinal sins of a Flieger: It's way too small for a true pilot's watch. Too much text on the dial (aristo/automatic). Classic fliegers don't have dates. The crown is too mundane for a pilot. The text for the numerals is a size too large. I like the strap, but it doesn't fit the pilot genre. If you'll be flying with it, I'd choose another pilot's watch.
Pros: I do like the titanium and concave bezel. Good movement (Swiss 2824-2), good lume (C3).

· Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I happened to be near to the local Tudor AD recently and I went in to look at the black bay heritage. I've always had a hankering for one of these and it's kind of a long term goal to potentially get one, not this year but in the next couple of years. Maybe. So, I got to try on the burgundy bezel version (in house movement) and it was an interesting experience……….

Firstly I was surprised at the crown action, this seemed rather stiff and imprecise. Couldn't positively feel when it had clicked out. I was expecting this to be smooth and precise with very little resistance on winding, but it felt pretty stiff to wind. Not the best impression.

Second was the look, when I see photos of this watch it looks amazing, but in my hands and on the wrist it seemed less so. Maybe the lack of natural lighting in the AD was to blame, but I didn't have that moment of "falling in love" with the watch. That surprised me a lot…….

Thirdly was the reality of the cost hitting me, its £2630 at the AD (which is about $3400) with no chance of discount. This is a major hurdle for me to overcome mentally and I am not sure that I can do it. Especially as it would necessitate selling off other watches to fund some of the cost, which would reduce the overall variety. This leads me to be concerned about whether this is a real desire or just infatuation, if I look at the MKII key west, I got bored of that, what's to say it wouldn't happen with the black bay?

The funny thing is that in spite of all of the above I still desire the watch. Why?

Sorry for the navel gazing exercise, but needed to get that off my chest……
Wanting something to covet is usually the reason I narrow in on something and obsess on a material item (watch) to own. In my life, it's usually attributed to a part of my that's awry (currently emotional pain).
My Black Bay Blue was an ETA, and the crown screwed out/in like butter. It was easy to set, too. The same applies to my 58, even smoother action. I'm not sure why the Red in-house crown's movement was so awkward. I haven't seen the Red in person, is it rather lacking in luster?

I think that no matter the 'exit watch', most people eventually get bored and either want to add a piece, or flip the exit piece at some point for something else. I've seen a few people on here with long-term 1-piece collections, alas that seems very few and far between. You certainly may be the exception re watch longevity(you know yourself better than anyone).

· Premium Member
4,376 Posts

· Premium Member
4,376 Posts
My 18mm Meyhofer silicone armband for my 19mm wide Longines Hydroconquest has arrived. I popped it on first thing, and here are some pics with my impressions.

1. This armband is comfortable. Unlike some other rubber or plastic (I guess) armbands I've purchased, this conforms to my wrist immediately.
2. My Hydroconquest looks great on black. Blue and black are the perfect combo.
3. I had an Eulit perlon that I wore the watch on for a while, but it was just too thin and always looked a bit off. The Meyhofer is the perfect thickness.
4. Unlike the perlon, this armband has designated holes for the clasp. I actually prefer this. I can adjust when my wrist grows or shrinks much easier. With the perlon, I was always fumbling around trying to poke the clasp into the proper place. The metal bracelet had no adjustment on-the-fly whatsoever. Only micro-adjustments, which I was never able to get to the proper size to be comfortable for me.
5. I noticed it when the watch was on perlon but, without the bracelet, this watch is light. I don't like heavy watches, and the metal bracelet caused the Hydroconquest to weigh in around 210 grams. Which was often noticeable, especially when my wrist shrinks due to cold and the watch dangles a bit. On the silicone, this watch weighs in at a featherweight 94 grams. That's a lot of bracelet weight.
6. That clasp is T H I C C. But it doesn't dig into my wrist or anything, so okay.
7. The fact that the armband is 1mm too narrow is noticeable, but not too bad. Right now, it doesn't bother me. We'll see how that goes. As folks here have suggested, I can always get a 20mm and shave down the bit at the lugs. Right now it's fine.

First impressions overall: I'm content. And Meyhofer silicone bands are a great deal at just under €20.
Looks fantastic, I've always dug those Hydro Conquests (and silicone straps) . I had a diver on silicone, it was super comfortable. It was my 1-watch collection for years. I hiked, scuba'ed, and was super tough on it. The combo was perfect comfort-wise, and utilitarian-wise. Can't beat 20 euros~

· Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Hey Gents,
Long time first time, at least for the 2019 WPAC. Been off the forums a bit as other interests have monopolized my time and money. I see not much has changed, good discussions and semi abstinence for most of you.

I'm down to one mechanical and one digital as I just mailed out the Seiko Gray Ghost. So that leaves me with the Ball Nightbreaker and a G Shock GWM-5610. They each get worn regularly and the very small collection takes away any "what to wear" decisions, kinda nice actually.

No real plans but I may pick up a black dial dive watch at some point, not in a hurry and may wait for Basel to see what Tudor does. I'll check back in on occasion but won't be here as regularly as I used to.

Keep fighting the good fight, you can check out and leave if you really want to and no harm if you don't. Good luck with your 2019 WPAC plans.
Hey JCombs Duderino! Really, really cool Ball, and the G-Shock's serving M-1 Abrams Tank duty. Fantastic 2-piece collection (leaving yourself open for a Basel pickup). Good strategy :-! Good to have you boss

· Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Nope. Have at it. I'm in for $825 shipped and expecting delivery tomorrow. I'm not especially proud to have failed and the Blonde Starbucks encounter while true wasn't a deciding factor and was tongue in cheek reference.
That is a HELL of a gorgeous piece, Mike. Perfect blue, urushi lacquer, and underpriced if you ask me. Congrats :)

· Premium Member
4,376 Posts
What I had been riding is a steel framed 29er that is about 9 years old. Hardtail. I replaced the front shock on it about 4 years ago. I picked steel because back then aluminum frames were so stiff that the chatter and small vibrations would take such a toll. The bike has been tremendous and has never let me down except maybe through some ugly rock gardens that I come across Occasionly.

As I've picked up riding again I find that after about 8 to 10 miles even my current ride my lower back will start to hurt. So my intention was to get a short travel 29er full suspension but sticker shock after being out of the market for 10 years has me rethinking that.

I'm still leery of aluminum frames though I'm sure the technology has gotten much better over the years.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
You buckaroos need a 1200cc Harley hardtail in your life (*not my Hogg)

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Chopper

· Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Cycles with a motor were never my thing. I know Hornet has a passion for those as well. I rode one (much smaller bike than that Hogg) in college for a few weeks and decided I had enough of that experience. It was a buddies who was away from town for a bit and left me the keys, asked me to start it up every now and then. Nothing traumatic happened just didn't interest me.
Who can blame you! Cycling cycling sounds fun (and safer). Hornet seems on the right track with something less powerful, and road/track-minded. Harleys are too loud for my taste, and I'm deaf in one ear lol :/

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.