WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 9082 Posts

· Registered
17,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I didn't officially participate last year but I lurked and made some comment in the 2018 thread mainly because I found the frequent posters interesting, knowledgeable, funny, and to some degree insane. 2018 on a grading scale for me would have been a strong D--- / F+ in my own opinion as I bought and sold watches like a drunken sailor. I ended up selling two watches that really should have and could have become my exit watch, either of them. One was a simple Swiss and one was a higher end Japanese. I won't mention them because the pain is still there.

I began 2018 rather healthy owning ONLY two watches that I enjoyed very much. The Seiko Sumo admittedly was a 3rd time "re-buy" and the Damasko DA37 was the second Damasko I had ever owned, the first being a DA36. Both of these got sold in 2018 and the floodgates opened WIDE to include two other Damasko versions that were quickly flipped for within $10 of what I paid for them. Several Seiko divers, the longest tenured one that I still own was purchased in March of 2018. I actually love this watch and if it was 38mm-39mm it would easily be my exit piece. As it stands however it always seems to wear just a shade too big for my liking....still, it has remained. Shortly thereafter I bought the SRP775 (never have mounted on the pristine OEM bracelet...always worn on rubber)...another really cool Seiko but my least worn piece since it arrived in April of last year. I went on a Grand Seiko 9F buying binge and still have 2 of the 3 I purchased in my watchbox. For less than a couple days Starbucks orders I picked up two classic but low dollar Casio digitals and then followed that up with a Solar Tough G-Shock. The G-Shock traditionally got worn on days I was expecting a new watch arrival/delivery. There are others that get short term binge worn, an in-house manufacture BALL Engineer "M" that is superb but at 43mm simply too big... a Carl F Bucherer Patravi Autodate which at 38mm and on an IWC Alligator strap gets the most wrist-time lately. Recently picked up a 3rd time re-buy of a Seiko Orange Monster (Gen2) and a quirky 1988 Seiko 36mm quartz diver on jingle jangle jubilee. The only one I hadn't mentioned until now is a forum purchased Seiko 6309-7049 from January of 1979 that unfortunately had to have an entire movement replacement at a local watch shop.

Where I stand entering 2019 does not make me very happy with myself. I am going to take charge and get back down to that breathable, comfort zone of maybe 2-3 watches by selling off the majority of this box's contents. There is even the possibility that they ALL would be sold and I would either decide to keep the SBDC053 which is my gut feeling or purchase ONE wristwatch in the $4000-$6000 range that really is quality enough to be my "EXIT". Potential candidates for that would be a 38mm Zenith El Primero, 36mm Rolex Explorer I, 36mm Rolex Datejust, 36mm IWC Pilot, or 37mm Grand Seiko Automatic. Lets see how that works out!

I'm IN.
View attachment 13760267

Ending 2018 with 12 wristwatches..... Goal in 2019 to have no more than 3!
View attachment 13760277
That's a bold plan. You certainly have plenty of duplication in there that you could consolidate. I would caution you, based on my own experience, to think twice before selling a watch you currently wear a lot. You might find yourself missing it and tempted to repurchase. Maybe keep the Patravi for a while after you buy your exit watch to make sure you are really done with it.

Doc Savage
I'd echo what Hotblack says, don't rush in to selling things off and then regretting it as that seems to be a pattern a fair number of us have done.......

· Registered
7,483 Posts
Welcome to WPAC 2019 to both of you :-!. Don't forget about the SOTC pic and a little bit about your intentions for the year pleple.......
Sorry I forgot my SOTC pic. Just couple group shots to keep size down.
with 2 deposit paid steinharts to come. So 21 in total. I do have 2 other watches but I don't count them - my dads old watch and a beat up G Shock. Neither gets worn but I think my son will get the G.

With so many watches it's inevitable you accumulate lots of straps. I have about 3 (if you include the OEM bracelet) for every watch, which means circa 60 straps. One of the things I intend to do to keep me away from watches is to source / build some kind of strap and bracelet storage solution. I'm sick of digging through the watch boxes to see which one has a particular strap in it.

· Registered
6,145 Posts
That's a bold plan. You certainly have plenty of duplication in there that you could consolidate. I would caution you, based on my own experience, to think twice before selling a watch you currently wear a lot. You might find yourself missing it and tempted to repurchase. Maybe keep the Patravi for a while after you buy your exit watch to make sure you are really done with it.

Doc Savage
I'd echo what Hotblack says, don't rush in to selling things off and then regretting it as that seems to be a pattern a fair number of us have done.......
Well, they are just objects I've purchased along the way with none really sharing any significantly special personal history or memories. I have no regrets if they all left truly. I think that is a healthy way to approach it.

· Registered
579 Posts
1 hour to go to 2019.
I will join the 2019 club, if allowed two provisions:
1…I will most likely buy a few watches for my son.
2…I may be tempted to pick up a Panerai 312 later in 2019 as my final acquisition.

· Registered
2,596 Posts
I'm in for 2019.

I joined in 2018 but without fully committing to the rules, and I still failed to stick to my own rules. I did, however, reduce the size of my collection, and reassess how I think about it.

I've attached my most recent photos of the watch box, and noted below the ones that have since been sold, and those listed for sale. There's also the small matter of an Omega Speedmaster Racing arriving today.

SOTC:

Hamilton Jazzmaster

Oris Rectangular

Christopher Ward Malvern Chrono

Ball Trainmaster

Christopher Ward Malvern (listed for sale)

Bulova Accutron (listed for sale)

Christopher Ward Malvern Squared

Ball Nightbreaker

Orient Star Classic

Junghans Max Bill

Obris Morgan Explorer (listed for sale)

Vostok Amphibia

Orient Mako (sold)

Damasko DA38

Glycine Combat 6 (sold)

Seiko SNK

Dan Henry 1970 (listed for sale)

Helgray Silverstone (listed for sale)

Damasko DS30

Aevig Valkyr

Omega Speedmaster Racing (arriving today)

I think that leaves me with 14 after everything is sold. My aim for 2019 is to buy one watch (a casual watch with blue dial). I want to get down to a collection of 12 eventually.

I plan to reduce my time on WUS to limit the temptation to buy, especially for the first few months of the year. However, I am aware that the PayPal funds from sales will be eating away at me, so I suspect I'll be making my one purchase in the first half of the year unless I fall for something worth waiting longer for.

Good luck everyone!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

· Registered
17,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sorry I forgot my SOTC pic. Just couple group shots to keep size down.
with 2 deposit paid steinharts to come. So 21 in total. I do have 2 other watches but I don't count them - my dads old watch and a beat up G Shock. Neither gets worn but I think my son will get the G.

With so many watches it's inevitable you accumulate lots of straps. I have about 3 (if you include the OEM bracelet) for every watch, which means circa 60 straps. One of the things I intend to do to keep me away from watches is to source / build some kind of strap and bracelet storage solution. I'm sick of digging through the watch boxes to see which one has a particular strap in it.
You've not mentioned or I've missed it, but what are the two long term preorders Rusty? Rolex?

· Registered
17,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I won't make a purchase unless I get a call from my AD to pick up a Patek 5711. It's unlikely I will get the call this year though.

2018 and 2017 I had the best of intentions but I got attracted to unique "micro brands" and some "investment" pieces. I'll do better this year.
Don't forget your SOTC pic please!

· Registered
579 Posts
Happy New Year to all from Perth, Australia

· Registered
7,483 Posts
1 hour to go to 2019.
I will join the 2019 club, if allowed two provisions:
1…I will most likely buy a few watches for my son.
2…I may be tempted to pick up a Panerai 312 later in 2019 as my final acquisition.
Oooo Panerai 312. Nice goal. I mean - "you don't need another watch - what are you thinking"

· Registered
13,097 Posts
Tempted to join in here, and no doubt someday I will get to the point where I'm satisfied enough with what I got that it would make sense, but not going to kid myself -- there is one watch already on the way which will arrive in the new year (NTH Antilles), another coming out in Spring I will be all over (Zelos GMT), and 2-3 others I just want to check out (blue dial dress/sport, orange dial diver, Vostok). And with the current collection, willing to upgrade at the drop of a hat if there are deals to be had -- the NTH could be replaced with Damasko DA43/45/47, the Dagaz with a Sinn 556A, ultimately I'd like to get an Omega SM GMT 50th Ann...

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

So I will continue to lurk here in WPAC for inspiration, try to maintain one-in / one-out discipline. Not going to commit, however, to what I know would be a failing venture.

Backstory. About 13.5 years ago, as a result of a DUI and other things (divorce, loss of job, etc....), I figured out I might have a problem with alcohol. But it still took me another 10 years (and another divorce + foreclosure & bankruptcy, impending job loss) to get into an IOP and AA for recovery. So I know myself well enough to know that I'm not going to be abstaining from watch purchases any time soon, but probably will come a day when it happens, and when it does, it will probably stick. 3.5 years sober at this point, and no, buying watches is not just a substitute addiction. I can quit any time I want...

· Registered
1,039 Posts
Tempted to join in here, and no doubt someday I will get to the point where I'm satisfied enough with what I got that it would make sense, but not going to kid myself -- there is one watch already on the way which will arrive in the new year (NTH Antilles), another coming out in Spring I will be all over (Zelos GMT), and 2-3 others I just want to check out (blue dial dress/sport, orange dial diver, Vostok). And with the current collection, willing to upgrade at the drop of a hat if there are deals to be had -- the NTH could be replaced with Damasko DA43/45/47, the Dagaz with a Sinn 556A, ultimately I'd like to get an Omega SM GMT 50th Ann...

View attachment 13762067
View attachment 13762069

So I will continue to lurk here in WPAC for inspiration, try to maintain one-in / one-out discipline. Not going to commit, however, to what I know would be a failing venture.

Backstory. About 13.5 years ago, as a result of a DUI and other things (divorce, loss of job, etc....), I figured out I might have a problem with alcohol. But it still took me another 10 years (and another divorce + foreclosure & bankruptcy, impending job loss) to get into an IOP and AA for recovery. So I know myself well enough to know that I'm not going to be abstaining from watch purchases any time soon, but probably will come a day when it happens, and when it does, it will probably stick. 3.5 years sober at this point, and no, buying watches is not just a substitute addiction. I can quit any time I want...
Wish you all the best for 2019 and all the years to come.

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,039 Posts
I have to admit that i will most likely not entering 2019 flawlessly since i have already made an enquiry about a purchase. The purchase that would and should be my one and only purchase for 2019.

Scenario 1. Complete the purchase once the seller is open for business and fully committed to 2019 wpac afterwards.

Scenario 2. Find another watch as a birthday watch before the day is due if the enquiry cant be processed and fully committed to 2019 wpac afterwards.

Scenario 3. Enjoying what i have and not looking for any at all even the enquiry cant be processed and fully committed to 2019 wpac.

Ps: the watch that im eyeing on is a tag heuer waf2111. I know that this watch has a lot of potential to be bashed but i will be happy with the purchase and the watch kinda checks the boxes.

Im in for 2019 WPAC but only after the first quarter since i will have my birthday on that quarter and i will buy a watch for it. I also dont think that i will put the watch for bashing.

But i promise that i will try my best to abstain from watch purchasing for the rest of 2019

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,467 Posts
Alright, as promised here is my (ridiculous) SOTC. I will outline my goals for 2019 in the next post, but just photographing and listing all of my watches was eye opening. I knew I had a problem, but jeez. I am gonna note which ones are on the chopping block this year so far. I will decide on others down the road.
Seiko SRPC25
Bagelsport Sub (plan to sell)
Project Laika
Poljot dress watch
Orange Scuba dude
Raketa wind rose
Komandirskie 25 years of Lada
Teal Scuba dude (plan to sell)
Vostok Generalskie (plan to sell)
Vostok tank Komandirskie
Vostok Neptune
Red line quartz (plan to sell/ give away)
Seiko SKX007 mod
Komandirskie 4:00 crown (plan to sell)
Nakzen Pagoda
Paratrooper Komandirskie (plan to sell/give away)
Victorinox quartz
Slava day/date (plan to sell/give away)
Nokia watch (plan to sell/give away)
Seiko STO Turtle
Seiko SARB033
NTH Devil Ray (plan to sell)
Seiko SKX011
Seiko SKX009
Seiko SJE073
Seiko STO Samurai (plan to sell)
Seiko SARB065
Seiko SNE331 solar
Casio Oceanus
Seiko FFF (plan to sell)
Glycine combat moonphase
Omega AT
Seiko SKX007
Bagelsport explorer (plan to sell)
Victorinox Airboss (plan to sell)
Tag Heuer F1 (plan to sell)
Seiko Shippo PR (plan to sell)
Seiko SARB035 (plan to give to my dad)

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,467 Posts
Alright, with the SOTC out of the way here is my plan. It isn't to the WPAC rules, but a step in the right direction.
1) Sell all the unworn watches barring one's with sentimental value (Victorinox quartz, SNE331)
2) I plan to not spend ANY money out of checking/savings/CC. Only funds from watch sales and ebates CB. I feel like this will help curb impulse buying and having a finite amount of funds will make me really think about how much I want that watch. This will also help motivate me to sell watches in order to fund one I want.
There are a couple exceptions. I will be buying the Russian forum project Elbrus as I have been with that since day 1.
I will also be receiving an NTH renegade as a gift on my wedding day.
As of right now, I am very happy with what I have and I know there is a lot of redundancy in the collection, I am okay with redundancy. The only watches I have my eye on that are tempting me are the Ball Engineer II red label GMT, and my grails an Explorer I 39 and Speedy moonwatch.
I feel good that I managed to not buy anything during the latest ebay 15% coupon as well as the ridiculous 26% cash back at rakuten global right now, but there is still 13 1/2 hours left in 2018, so no promises!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

· Registered
6,512 Posts
I'm in for 2019, but with the disclosure that I will likely buy a watch, hopefully soon...the prices seem to keep going up on it every time I look at it.

Anyway, my collection:

Seiko SRP775 Gilt Turtle
Seiko SRP309 Orange Monster
Seiko SKX171 (bezel swapped to the 007's)
Seiko SHC063 Sawtooth
Omega Aqua Terra quartz 231.10.39.61.06.001
Casio GW-9400 Rangeman

Beaters (do they count? you be the judge)
Casio AQS810W-1AV
Casio AQS810W-3AV

I don't have any pics of them handy, I'm at work on lunch. Besides, looking at watch p0rn might make some of you guys falter, and we wouldn't want that (shame on you for suggesting pics of our collections, Hornet -- a most grievous tactical error indeed!!).

Goals for 2019:
1. Buy only one watch (I already have it in mind).
2. I'd like to find a new home for the Casio AQS810W-3AV. It's so cheap, it's almost not worth selling, but I never wear it and that bothers me.
3. I could see myself eventually selling the SKX171 too. I've thought about it so many times before, but I don't know if I'd get enough on it for it to be worth it. I still like it and wear it sometimes, but it's quite similar to other watches in my collection I wear more. I've been undecided on this for almost 3 years now, so who knows when I'll make up my mind.

· Registered
799 Posts
Hi all new member here that has gone through what many of you have gone through from buying a ridiculous amount of watches and then selling some. So needless to say I really would like to join the WPAC 2019.

Started watch collecting in 2017 after moving on from fashion watch's that I use to collect in desk drawers as a "need to change batteries project". Never got around to it and got introduced to automatics. Dad had one watch from what I can remember and I thought I could do it, but as mentioned earlier it was easier said than done and my collection grew.

Here is my SOTC:
-G-shock GW9300-1 Mudman (has already left my hands and moved onto my 9 year old wrist)
-Casio Royale (never wear but use it as a digital clock in my watch box)
-Seiko Sbdj028 LowerCase Edition (selling to my cousin next year)
-1954-1957? Omega Seamaster (replaced the Sbdj028)
-Citizen Avion Ca4210-24e (never wear and is sitting in the box. Will be selling in 2019)
-Seiko Snzf17j (my first automatic that will be given to my son at a later time maybe 2-3 years)
-Seiko skx007
-Hamilton H64455523 Khaki King
-Seiko Sarb033
-Oris Artix GMT Audi Sport Edition
-Omega Speedmaster - Schumacher

Sentimental Value watches: (in collection but never wear and cannot sell). These two watches are to the left of the SKX.
Fossil charcoal watch (wedding gift)
Raymond Weil ladies watch (My moms watch)

Current weekly rotation:
-Seiko skx007
-Hamilton H64455523 Khaki King
-Seiko Sarb033
-Oris Artix GMT Audi Sport Edition
-Omega Speedmaster - Schumacher
-1954-1957? Omega Seamaster

Goals in 2019:
1) is to not add another watch into the collection unless it's by the group standards of one in and one out.
2) shortening my weekly rotations to 3-4 down from 6 watches. Which will be difficult as two were gifts from the wife. But will do my best to consolidate my collection even further.

Thank you for your time and would appreciate everyone's opinions on my goals and appreciate the necessary bashing to achieve my goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 9082 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.