WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

6481 - 6500 of 6632 Posts

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,481
Abstain? No. Utilize WPAC tools to keep the obsession under control?

No worry about the Glycine being too heavy and big... But really, if I can't find a handset that does it for me, this is the last one. No, really...

Maybe so with the Mako, but it will get some scrutiny upon arrival, and has as much chance of being a Rule 7 flip as any kind keeper - sold out in 5 minutes, I won't lose money on the flip...
Just checking, doesn't feel like it's under control, but I'll take your word for it...... (y)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Just checking, doesn't feel like it's under control, but I'll take your word for it...... (y)
That was my reaction as well, hence my question on the numbers of ins and outs.

Maybe @mconlonx can share with us his current SOTC as well as the SOTC at the beginning of the year/upon WPAC entry? Just for comparison's sake.

(please don't take this wrong mconlonx, I just like to read this sort of stuff)

Reactions: Hornet99

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Abstain? No. Utilize WPAC tools to keep the obsession under control?

No worry about the Glycine being too heavy and big... But really, if I can't find a handset that does it for me, this is the last one. No, really...

Maybe so with the Mako, but it will get some scrutiny upon arrival, and has as much chance of being a Rule 7 flip as any kind keeper - sold out in 5 minutes, I won't lose money on the flip...
I do like that WPAC can mean different things to different people. I have currently purchased 5 watches this year (with one more likely before 2020 is done) but I have also sold 3 watches with 2 more currently listed. If I am able to stick to my plan I should have less invested into my collection at the end of the year than I did at the beginning since the watches I sold are generally more expensive than those I bought. To me I am happy with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
With the Archimede back, the MWW out, and the Glycine on the way in, I'll have 8 watches in regular rotation, and another 2 which see only very occasional use.

This is pretty much where I started the year, where quantity is concerned, and I would argue that for what I'm looking for in watches, a step up in quality.

If the Zelos stays, I'll need to get rid of either the San Martin or a Seiko SKX mod.

Running along the ragged edge of control, but still this side of it...

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
That was my reaction as well, hence my question on the numbers of ins and outs.

Maybe @mconlonx can share with us his current SOTC as well as the SOTC at the beginning of the year/upon WPAC entry? Just for comparison's sake.

(please don't take this wrong mconlonx, I just like to read this sort of stuff)
Will do!

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I do like that WPAC can mean different things to different people. I have currently purchased 5 watches this year (with one more likely before 2020 is done) but I have also sold 3 watches with 2 more currently listed. If I am able to stick to my plan I should have less invested into my collection at the end of the year than I did at the beginning since the watches I sold are generally more expensive than those I bought. To me I am happy with that

Almost identical to my numbers, 5 in - 3 out and 2 listed, so a net gain of zero. The difference is that the value of my collection has increased significantly with the Damasko and Doxa.

I do have one more arriving soon but it’s a flipper candidate and not a long term keeper, I think.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Moser listed for sale. I fear that if I try to wear it in an attempt to bond with it I’ll just end up scratching it up and marking the strap. I’m just not in love with the “converted pocket watch” vibe I guess.

C’est la vie.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Moser listed for sale. I fear that if I try to wear it in an attempt to bond with it I’ll just end up scratching it up and marking the strap. I’m just not in love with the “converted pocket watch” vibe I guess.

C’est la vie.

Baby steps, but steps nonetheless. Congrats on your first listing, it will get easier.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
OK, had to search to find it, but I bet if we go back to Feb, this would show up here:

1600123721880.png

Not shown in that pic, two watch mod projects which were sold off. 9, total.

Here's where I'm at now:

From there to here:
2 mod watches out; 2 mod watches in.
Sold the Seiko 656 mod.
Retired the Seiko SNE039
Sold the Momentum Atlas 38mm
(Swapped out bezel insert on the Scorpene)
Sea-Gull thin hand wind 34mm bought
Archimede Outdoor Protect 39 bought
Glycine Combat 6 36mm bought

Also:
2 Glycine Airman 18 in and out (one returned as defective)
2 different Vostok GMT in and out.
San Martin 6105 v1 sold, bought back.
San Martin 6105 v2, bought and sold.
2 Seiko chronographs in and out.
MWW in, for sale.
Glycine Combat 6 36mm arabics in and out.
Glycine Combat 6 36mm in and out.
TC DD in, for sale.
Seiko 5 SNKL41 in, sequestered (Rule 7).
Orient Star salmon dial in and out.

18 in, 14 out, 2 for sale, one retired (keepsake gift from dad), one sequestered (Rule 7).

Lessons learned:
I do not need a chronograph in my life.
I do not need a mechanical GMT in my life.
I'm over Lume dials.
Salmon is an overrated pink.
Stick with 36-38mm, up to 40mm with rotating bezel.
Thinner and shorter L2L is better.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I don’t have a new year state of the collection pick, but here is where I am at now:

Arranged from oldest to newest in the collection
The one the left almost never gets worn, but I bought it my honeymoon and it was my first auto watch, so it will stay for sentimental reasons. The ones that are new to this year are the two on the right. Not pictured: Monta Atlas and The Citizen AQ4030 currently listed for sale.

Ones I had at the beginning of the year and have sold: Monta Oceanking and soon Monta Atlas

Ones that were bought and sold in 2020:
Helson Shark Diver 38 titanium
Nomos Tangente
The Citizen

Likely to be bought in 2020: I am really debating about getting an Archimede Outdoor Chronograph. My outdoor 39 has really impressed me, and I find the chrono version beautiful. Feel free to bash it now if you want, but I told myself I won’t buy it until my work slows down the at the end of November, so I’ll do an official bashing session then

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
To beat a dead horse...

Sorting through it...

Scorpene and Archimede would be the two watches I'd keep I'd I had to let all go but two.

On one side of the two core watches, the Sea-Gull as a dress watch, and the San Martin as a beater.

The two Seikos on the bottom are 2nd iteration mod watches, love how these turned out, and there's a certain pride in having put them together.

Glycine in the middle, waiting for better hands...

Square GShock 5600 on aftermarket combi bracelet, which wears way better than it has any right to. Too cheap to sell, owned 2 of these back in the day, a sentimental leftover.

Zissou Vostok 420374, gift from Mrs-ish mconlonx. Everyone should have a Seiko; everyone should have a Vostok...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Smart move. Good luck!

We all have our own foibles with watches and yes names (brands or models) does get me. It's a purely personal thing. Can only think of ones I like or that are silly at the moment, can't think of any that I'd like with a name change.....

......I think its difficult for me to separate names that you know well and are used to, Rolex for example, with their associations from others.
I like Longines (y)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Sent off the SNK809 today!

My nephew, 17, is at Challenge Academy (completing his GED and prepping for a career in the military) and managed to lose the solar G-Shock he got earlier this year for his birthday (left it at home, parents are still looking). This is his second time at the academy and it's really been a great experience for him.

If anybody can kill an SNK, he'll do it. The countdown begins. :LOL:

So I'm two down for the last week or so, feels good. Found the Citizen's packaging in preparation of its leaving and looked up some values for the 36mm Runwell.

The SNXF05 is a pretty delightful work watch. Have been wanting something with less flash than the 38mm Runwell and it fits the bill perfectly. The slim midcase and portly underside make it sit too high on the wrist to dethrone the SNK803 for casual wear comfort though.

Enjoying my current infatuation with the Cocktail Time, it's so impractical that I feel little desire to actually buy it.

6481 - 6500 of 6632 Posts