WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

6501 - 6520 of 6634 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
They should? Why?

All you other reasons are valid but this makes no sense to me?
It was written very tongue in cheek, but besides being a gift from the Mrs-ish and the movie tie-in, I admire the rudimentary technology. It's a good story, a competent watch, and where others are making homages of watches from the past, this was never discontinued and has a direct link with the same model, originally produced in the 60s and 70s. It's like NOS vintage.

Some people have cherished, goofy watches, like a Mickey Mouse or Snoopy watch; I have a Zissou Vostok.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
It was written very tongue in cheek, but besides being a gift from the Mrs-ish and the movie tie-in, I admire the rudimentary technology. It's a good story, a competent watch, and where others are making homages of watches from the past, this was never discontinued and has a direct link with the same model, originally produced in the 60s and 70s. It's like NOS vintage.

Some people have cherished, goofy watches, like a Mickey Mouse or Snoopy watch; I have a Zissou Vostok.
Nothing wrong with Vostok - it’s a wide and varied hobby. The brand doesn’t exist that has not got a band of haters attached

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,506
That’s probably enough reason for me to sell mine.

I guess I should thank you?
There's no watch anyone should or shouldn't own. Each watch should be taken on its own merits, framed in the context of your personal preferences. Wouldn't sell the MM (?) just because of this Rusty, it's a great looking watch, huge chunk of a watch, but still excellent.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Well everyone should have a Seiko just because... well.. Seiko
I missed the memo on Seiko (and G-Shock).They make a dizzying array of watches that are derivative to superior watches. I find them crude, oversized, chunky, inaccurate, with outdated, inferior movements and parts (aside from GS). They make so many models at different price points that they're impossible to differentiate. IMO, collecting Seikos is like joining a cult.

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,509
I missed the memo on Seiko (and G-Shock).They make a dizzying array of watches that are derivative to superior watches. I find them crude, oversized, chunky, inaccurate, with outdated, inferior movements and parts (aside from GS). They make so many models at different price points that they're impossible to differentiate. IMO, collecting Seikos is like joining a cult.
I'd agree that the majority of their dive watches tend to be oversized, but as I understand it that's cultural; the Tudor black bay 58 is apparently marketed as a ladies watch in Asian markets. With that in mind their divers sizes make sense, if not what most of us want. But then there's the SLA017 and the SPB14x models which are reasonably sized and have a genuine "heritage" of design.

You've said that they are "derivative to superior watches", can you expand on that for me?

I'm not a Seiko cultist btw.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
There's no watch anyone should or shouldn't own. Each watch should be taken on its own merits, framed in the context of your personal preferences. Wouldn't sell the MM (?) just because of this Rusty, it's a great looking watch, huge chunk of a watch, but still excellent.
I know. Was a tongue in cheek post. It’s not going anywhere.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'd agree that the majority of their dive watches tend to be oversized, but as I understand it that's cultural; the Tudor black bay 58 is apparently marketed as a ladies watch in Asian markets. With that in mind their divers sizes make sense, if not what most of us want. But then there's the SLA017 and the SPB14x models which are reasonably sized and have a genuine "heritage" of design.

You've said that they are "derivative to superior watches", can you expand on that for me?

I'm not a Seiko cultist btw.
I had to Google SLA017 and the SPB14x. Two among thousands of confusing Seiko SKUs. SLA017 is a $4000+ watch and the SPB14x runs an outdated, underpowered, cheap, 21,600 vph movement. What's up with Seiko and that lousy outdated, inaccurate, movement? And what's up with Hardlex? I don't know about the SLA017 but I can think of dozens of comparable divers from Tudor, Omega, Ball, Oris, etc, that cost less and are far more desirable. That's my opinion and reasonable minds can differ.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
To my mind the new "DressKX" SRPE models are about the only fairly priced Seikos at the moment at under $300 and most closer to $200. How the new(ish) SBDC 62MAS versions are going for $1000+ is beyond my comprehension.

Reactions: mjwatch

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I probably agree with most of the Seiko comments both positive and negative.

After having owned 15+ Seiko, although none currently, I’m probably a more knowledgeable collector but that doesn’t mean I couldn’t have gotten the same education by owning 15 Hamiltons or Citizens along the way.

Generally speaking, I like what Seiko is doing with the recent product line. I don’t think they’re great vfm anymore but at the end of the day supply and demand determine market prices not companies and to this point, at least, the consumer thinks they are fairly priced.

Grand Seiko is a different discussion as I’m still shopping for this one.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Seiko... soft spot in my heart for them because the first watch in my modern WIS era was a SNK809 I wore for two years straight... before stumbling into WUS and madness.

When I started looking around, I had a hard time justifying any proper Seikos based on price, spec, and value. I tried a SARB035, and it was just too thick. Presage and SUN - too large. Divers - too large, not up to spec. Otherwise... meh. And in the meantime, Chinese homage brands moved in with much, much better value, and spec upgrades.

For this year, there is a specific presage model I like, but hum-drum movement and Hardlex. No-bezel Alpinist... meh, not considering what else is out there. Willard SRP151 - now we're talking... but not for $1300.

And the really formerly reasonably priced entry level Seiko 5 like the SNK series and the SNKL41 I just tucked away - discontinued.

I do like the SRPE DressKX series. Too bad about the hardlex. But that's what mods are for. The two Seiko I currently have in my collection are modded. Since Seiko is pricing themselves out of the affordable realm, even in the mod community, aftermarket is filling in to supply even cases, with the only Seiko component one might need to use being the movement.

With Vostok just chugging along as the rapidly emerging price leader for in-house everything and cheap mods.

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,515
I like Seiko, again not in any cultist way, they have a wide (huge) range of watches are generally good quality and you can go from beaters to high end. What's not to like? There are some classic models; cocktail time, turtle, sumos, etc.

There are negatives, such as the ubiquitous alignment issues, some of the movements, there aren't many smaller diameter divers, etc. There's always the arguments against hardlex and the 21k beat rate, but there are arguments in favour as well as against.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I had to Google SLA017 and the SPB14x. Two among thousands of confusing Seiko SKUs. SLA017 is a $4000+ watch and the SPB14x runs an outdated, underpowered, cheap, 21,600 vph movement. What's up with Seiko and that lousy outdated, inaccurate, movement? And what's up with Hardlex? I don't know about the SLA017 but I can think of dozens of comparable divers from Tudor, Omega, Ball, Oris, etc, that cost less and are far more desirable. That's my opinion and reasonable minds can differ.
Why change/improve/spend money when you can not only keep selling outdated stuff, but also increase its price and sell even more? It's the Rolex way, but for the masses! They even share the same QC issues...

There's absolutely no one to blame but the people who keep buying Seiko's ridiculous divers even after price increases of 50%, sometimes even more. The SKX is a $100 watch at best, but let's buy one at 300 "bEcAuSe sEiKo".

I'm no saint, mind you. I spent €170 on my Seiko 5 mod. Learned my lesson though. Standard Seiko (not GS) does nothing for me. It does make my mind ache a bit seeing all the fanboys salivating over its admittedly brilliant marketing and business strategies. I shall have to grow and pay no mind to it. But for the moment, it makes for entertainment.

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Here is another trick – start researching something else. I’m surprisingly free of watch buying impulses. Why? I’m researching the next family vehicle/dad fun car and watching lots of videos and reading lots of articles on that. Pros/Cons, price vs value, and all that comes along with buying or leasing a vehicle.

Depending on what I end up with (next year when it’s happening), I may sell a few watches off to go a little car-crazy again. It’s a cycle.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I've owned about 20 Seikos over the past five years, most of them divers. I think Seiko was an excellent way to be introduced to the hobby. Most of them are sold now, keeping only two (Sumo, a gift) and Gen 2 Orange Monster (my first watch as I started to become interested in this hobby) around for nostalgia purposes only. I never wear either.

A good third of my Seikos had dumb cosmetic issues with misaligned chapter rings and dials being the most common. All of them worked reasonably well and I only killed a movement once when I slipped and fell on a patch of black ice one cold morning. What I like about Seiko's entry and mid-level stuff (SKX, Turtle, Sumo, Samurai, Tuna, 62MAS reimagining) is that they are pretty much disposable with movements than can go a decade or more without any need for service whatsoever. If the time comes when the movement stops working, I can always drop a new movement in and just go on from there. I don't think I will, because the watches I still own are very inexpensive and again I don't ever wear them anymore.

Seiko's latest move upmarket is to be understood with more and more competition from Chinese house brands, micro-brands, and the smart watch behemoth. As to whether we think they are worthy of the prices they are asking for them, that remains up to the market. It certainly is a calculated risk that Seiko is undertaking, but they are big boys and girls and have certainly done the analysis on such a move.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Pricing is a funny thing.

Will I buy a Seiko at current pricing? Nope.

Do I think they represent any kind of value? No, but I can see where some might think so, still.

Are they overpriced? Maybe. Maybe not. Not for me to say. As Lee_K says, they are pretty smart cookies who I assume know their market. So really, it will take hindsight of maybe a decade or more to judge this new marketing strategy a success or otherwise.

6501 - 6520 of 6634 Posts