WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

6521 - 6540 of 6633 Posts

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
Here is another trick – start researching something else. I’m surprisingly free of watch buying impulses. Why? I’m researching the next family vehicle/dad fun car and watching lots of videos and reading lots of articles on that. Pros/Cons, price vs value, and all that comes along with buying or leasing a vehicle.

Depending on what I end up with (next year when it’s happening), I may sell a few watches off to go a little car-crazy again. It’s a cycle.
I did that recently. Spent three full days of all free time on car research. Wasn’t even aware I had a watch on

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,522
Here is another trick – start researching something else. I’m surprisingly free of watch buying impulses. Why? I’m researching the next family vehicle/dad fun car and watching lots of videos and reading lots of articles on that. Pros/Cons, price vs value, and all that comes along with buying or leasing a vehicle.

Depending on what I end up with (next year when it’s happening), I may sell a few watches off to go a little car-crazy again. It’s a cycle.
Good idea. I've stopped surfing WUS and any other watch sites. Only now come to this thread.....

......amazing how that cuts down the desires to start hunting for something.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I'm sorry but reigniting another hobby such as cars to "cut back" on watches is like going back to weed to cut on coffee or sugar.

The addictive behavior stays there, it's just the vessel that changed. Arguably and most likely, to something even more expensive.

I do agree with Hornet though, browsing less watch related content certainly helps cutting back on the urge, if that's something that afflicts you. Myself, I only follow this thread, German watch forum, the Stowa and Laco subforums, and the daily WRUWs. Occasionally I peruse public and affordables but I'm starting to cut back. It just isn't as interesting as it once was I'm afraid.

It's funny how this is a fairly big website completely centered on watches, yet I've never entered most of it. It was maybe a month ago I found out what OoO means, went there, read a few dozen comments, and good god that's awful. Never opened 90% of the brand forums. Theme forums, same thing. Just don't care. Not even the off topic subforum.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,524
I'm sorry but reigniting another hobby such as cars to "cut back" on watches is like going back to weed to cut on coffee or sugar.

The addictive behavior stays there, it's just the vessel that changed. Arguably and most likely, to something even more expensive.

I do agree with Hornet though, browsing less watch related content certainly helps cutting back on the urge, if that's something that afflicts you. Myself, I only follow this thread, German watch forum, the Stowa and Laco subforums, and the daily WRUWs. Occasionally I peruse public and affordables but I'm starting to cut back. It just isn't as interesting as it once was I'm afraid.

It's funny how this is a fairly big website completely centered on watches, yet I've never entered most of it. It was maybe a month ago I found out what OoO means, went there, read a few dozen comments, and good god that's awful. Never opened 90% of the brand forums. Theme forums, same thing. Just don't care. Not even the off topic subforum.
I just find that the stuff on WUS never really changes, you look down the affordable, dive and public sub forums and the threads are the same old thing regurgitated, hardly anything new or interesting for me personally any more.

Word of warning; if you have any addictive behaviours as I do with watches then browsing the WRUW thread is a really bad idea.....

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I just find that the stuff on WUS never really changes, you look down the affordable, dive and public sub forums and the threads are the same old thing regurgitated, hardly anything new or interesting for me personally any more.

Word of warning; if you have any addictive behaviours as I do with watches then browsing the WRUW thread is a really bad idea.....
Oh yes, reposts are the way of life. We've been here for a while, but every day more people get started and follow the same path we once did.

That last sentence reminded me of a comment a read a few hours ago. Someone saying that they like the vast majority of watches on the wruw threads.

If a wruw thread gets, let's say, 80 posts a day, I give a (y) to maybe 15 of those, likely less. Not only I don't like the majority of the watches posted (divers go brrrr), I actively dislike them. Wouldn't want them in my collection. But I still enjoy the enjoyment of others, and interacting with them. Always a good thing to learn something new and have new experiences.

Bottom line, browsing watch related media definitely makes you buy more watches. Even if you're like me and don't like the majority of them, I still learned about the Zelos Nova from this website. Probably wouldn't have known it exists otherwise. In the end, that's one of the reasons we're here for.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

I think part of the problem is that watches is a “collecting” hobby. Once you own a watch you you wear it, but it’s not like you make a day out of going and doing something with your watch. The ways to be involved in the hobby is to read about watches, see what others are wearing, discuss a bit, and of course buy. And as others have mentioned, reading about watches reading and discussing can often encourage buying.

Cars is a hobby where you can make a day out of going for a drive or to a car show (when COVID allows gathering) but to go for a drive you still need to buy a fun car which is usually a pretty hefty up front purchase. And that hobby can often encourage constant expensive mods, and of course your still always looking for your next project car. So it isn’t a pure “collecting” hobby, but it can still act like one if you let it.

I have started watching YouTube videos on cooking hoping to try different recipes and mix things up in the kitchen. I am hoping it will be a way to get me into a new “hobby” that isn’t focused around buying (groceries of course, but ideally not much more than the groceries I would have bought anyway). We’ll see if it works out.

I also have a mountain bike on order. I am hoping I don’t get sucked down the rabbit hole of mods and new bikes and purely just enjoy it for the sake of biking. Otherwise it could look like how I described cars above. Step #1, never look into mountain bike forums...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I think part of the problem is that watches is a “collecting” hobby. Once you own a watch you you wear it, but it’s not like you make a day out of going and doing something with your watch. The ways to be involved in the hobby is to read about watches, see what others are wearing, discuss a bit, and of course buy. And as others have mentioned, reading about watches reading and discussing can often encourage buying.

... Step #1, never look into mountain bike forums...
There's always modding watches to consider, or even building them from scratch. Also maintenance and repair, depending on how far you want to go down that rabbit hole. I've dabbled...

We have a couple decent cars, but I'm not quite a car guy. 13 Volvo C30 R-Design with Polestar performance package. 14 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Both manual transmission. Currently, considering the pros and cons of a fun car -- vintage Land Rover that's been sitting for decades, IH Scout without a top but running, maybe a VW manx-style dune buggy or baja rig... But probably none of them. Keep having to remind myself I'm not a car guy.

More into motorcycles. I have a bone-stock BMW R1200RT, which is the appliance bike to be used for commuting, touring, endurance rides, and two-up. And a Honda Hawk NT650 GT fun-time bike, which is very modded from stock and will only get more so...

I'm currently down to about 3 bicycles, two of which bear zero resemblance to when they were stock, and one which was built by me from the ground, up, starting with welding a frame together and building wheels... My intro to WUS was a suggestion from someone over on bikeforums.net. If you have issues with obsessing about watches, then FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT YOU HOLD HOLY, DO NOT GO THERE!!!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts

Cars is a hobby where you can make a day out of going for a drive or to a car show (when COVID allows gathering) but to go for a drive you still need to buy a fun car which is usually a pretty hefty up front purchase. And that hobby can often encourage constant expensive mods, and of course your still always looking for your next project car. So it isn’t a pure “collecting” hobby, but it can still act like one if you let it.

I have started watching YouTube videos on cooking hoping to try different recipes and mix things up in the kitchen. I am hoping it will be a way to get me into a new “hobby” that isn’t focused around buying (groceries of course, but ideally not much more than the groceries I would have bought anyway). We’ll see if it works out.

I also have a mountain bike on order. I am hoping I don’t get sucked down the rabbit hole of mods and new bikes and purely just enjoy it for the sake of biking. Otherwise it could look like how I described cars above. Step #1, never look into mountain bike forums...
You can also go to watch gatherings, but as watches are much less prevalent than cars I expect those shows are much less frequent as well. And the equivalent of a sunday drive would be wearing your watches daily, which isn't really comparable. Or you can go my route, get hand winders only, and interact with them more often.

If you approach cars as a hobby it mostly likely will turn into a collecting-like experience, as you said via mods etc. Project cars are the epitome of that. If you have an addictive personality then that has got to be a very bad idea indeed.

I think I will eventually also get into cooking. I love to eat but hate to cook. Not the action itself, rather the time it takes away from other stuff. If I was a millionaire my first action would be to get someone to cook for me. But it does seem like an interesting everyday inevitability to turn into a hobby. You know what, I'll look into it.

That step #1 re the bikes seems like a good idea too...

There's always modding watches to consider, or even building them from scratch. Also maintenance and repair, depending on how far you want to go down that rabbit hole. I've dabbled...
I'll also eventually do this. Has crossed my mind but I'd like to settle my collection first. Buy one of those 6497 clones and play with it. Not even follow a video or guide (I watch the WatchRepairChannel, he's such a lovely guy, calming videos too), just have a go and see what I can do.

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
^^ for those with bikes, can you recommend something maybe in the $500 ish range for a reasonable city/mountain bike? I'd like to own a bike again and add that kind of exercise to my running routine. In Europe, I rode my bike everywhere but I haven't ridden one in almost 20 years now (except when I had one at a vacation rental).

When I was a teen, I had the full Lotto outfit from the Tour de France (LOL) and a badass black Peugeot 10 speed (or was it 12 speed?).

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
^^ for those with bikes, can you recommend something maybe in the $500 ish range for a reasonable city/mountain bike? I'd like to own a bike again and add that kind of exercise to my running routine. In Europe, I rode my bike everywhere but I haven't ridden one in almost 20 years now (except when I had one at a vacation rental).

When I was a teen, I had the full Lotto outfit from the Tour de France (LOL) and a badass black Peugeot 10 speed (or was it 12 speed?).
Check out offerings from the big 3: Trek, Specialized, and Giant. Look for models which appeal to you at slightly above your price point. Then check out offerings from other companies. Cannondale, Kona, Jamis, any of the "second tier" brands, and similar bikes with similar spec should be right at your price point.

If you're a little bit handy with tools, you could order a bike a few tiers up from bikesdirect.com, follow a YT tutorial about building a new bike up from box, and have a better bike. Or bite the bullet and bring it in to a local shop for assembly and tune, which would still give you an upgrade and save you money.

However, there's currently a bike shortage in the USA. Sales on new bikes have been crazy. Manufacturers are out of stock on popular models, especially like the kind and price point you are specifically asking about. Good luck.

I know Trek bikes, so the two I would suggest taking a look at are the Verve 1 Disc and FX 1. The Verve can take mtn-bike size tires, where the FX is more street oriented. Both are very capable bikes for street, bike trails, and gravel surfaces; neither is stellar offroad, but the Verve would be more so with a swap of tires. Most other companies offer bikes of similar type, at similar pricing, with similar spec (kinda like watches, no?), so look around, starting at your local bike shop...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
However, there's currently a bike shortage in the USA. Sales on new bikes have been crazy. Manufacturers are out of stock on popular models, especially like the kind and price point you are specifically asking about. Good luck.

I recently went to REI to get fitted for a bike, and they basically said if you want an entry level bike be willing to wait a year, or go on Craigslist/OfferUp. It seems like entry level bikes are acting like stainless steel Rolexes...

Luckily I was only getting fitted because my sister is starting a bike rental business and offered to order me a bike at wholesale prices on her first order (Diamondback Sync’r is what I’m getting if anyone cares)

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
I recently went to REI to get fitted for a bike, and they basically said if you want an entry level bike be willing to wait a year, or go on Craigslist/OfferUp. It seems like entry level bikes are acting like stainless steel Rolexes...

Luckily I was only getting fitted because my sister is starting a bike rental business and offered to order me a bike at wholesale prices on her first order (Diamondback Sync’r is what I’m getting if anyone cares)
A later-model used bike + service at a bike shop will generally net you a better bike at a lower price. FWIW, used bikes seem to be a lot more plentiful than new ones...

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

Cars is a hobby where you can make a day out of going for a drive or to a car show (when COVID allows gathering) but to go for a drive you still need to buy a fun car which is usually a pretty hefty up front purchase. And that hobby can often encourage constant expensive mods, and of course your still always looking for your next project car. So it isn’t a pure “collecting” hobby, but it can still act like one if you let it...
This is a great recognition of the passive nature of our hobby and why collecting alone is unsatisfactory for many WUS. We add activities (looking at watch photos, researching specs, looking for watch deals, etc) to have more to do vis-à-vis this hobby. This generates tons of temptations which are not great for abstinence goals. Plus, most of us are not interested in modding watches or going to watch gatherings. That leaves lots of pretty pictures, watch review videos, and Hodinkee, A Blog to Watch, etc.

Like Hornet, I try to avoid all parts of this site besides WPAC. Occasionally I see a thread that catches my eye, but I'm usually pretty good at side-stepping most of this site.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,537

I got back into biking a couple of years ago after a long absence from the sport, I don't have an obsession about bikes or gear. I like gear that functions well, but once I've got that I'm good. I'll not obsess about getting three more of the same thing. The main thing is getting out and enjoying the act of cycling, which I suppose is exactly your point really.

Enjoy your new bike when it arrives, cycling is something that gives me great satisfaction and helps enormously with relieving stress in my life.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts

I bought a Giant last year after my knee replacement. Maybe an Escape? I told them it's mostly for pavement, but sometimes I get a wild hair and jump curbs, ride down stairs, or get on gravel trails, so I wanted something that would put up with that.

That said, I'd listen to mconlonx and buy a brand that has a retailer in your town for service.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,539

In addition to what mconlonx has suggested I'd look at Cube and if there's Decathlon in your country look at Decathlons own brand bike. Cube are a German company and do road and mountain bikes, I've got one of their mtbs and is excellent for the money. The Decathlon road bike I have was cheap (relatively for bikes) but it is great. You can pay huge amounts for bikes, it's shocking (to me), but unless you're at competition level it's pointless.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts

It’s not reigniting another hobby - well not for me anyway, I simply need to change cars shortly. I likely won’t browse cars after that for months/years again

6521 - 6540 of 6633 Posts