WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

701 - 720 of 5760 Posts

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Second hand + date =/= dress watch, any more than your Bambino does.

Even though 39mm, will wear much larger due to all-dial design, like, larger even than your Bambino which at least has some bezel going for it.

Silver hands on black are made to look good in pix, but same thing as you are noting on your Bambino, there will be lighting angles and conditions which will make it at least as hard to read, if not harder.

For the limited use you intend, does strap choice really matter? Really...?

No one thinks your Bambino is inappropriate for church and other formal-ish occasions. No one.

And OK, Church? How 'bout this: you keep your Bambino, figure out the difference between what you could get for the Bambino (you are going to sell it if you get the Archimede, right...?) and the cost of the Archimede, and donate the difference to the church or a charity it supports. WWJD, brother...?

You really want to swap your Bambino for that Archimede? Fine, sell your Bambino first, before you get the Archimede...

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Tomfoolery aside, back to something serious.

I have an Orient Bambino I wear to church on Sundays and maybe 4 occasions during the year that call for it. It's probably my 4th most worn watch because of the occasions I wear it. The Damasko (OK, I won't get the DA46, too) and my Samurai's get worn more. Despite previous bashing, I like them, so I won't go look at Hornet's BDSM069 or whatever it was.

What I don't like about the Bambino: The size is a bit too large at 40.6. It's difficult to read at several angles because of the silver hands on a champagne or cream dial. I dislike the strap, and 21mm lugs are just retarded. I can't seem to find a better strap that I like.

I like this Archimede. Good contrast for legibility. Restrained dial with not a lot of text. 39 mm appears to be a good size for me. 20mm lugs so lots of strap choices. I like the hands, indices, matching date wheel, and the dial to bezel proportions. E.g. the SARB033's bezel is too wide for the dial. I like the domed acrylic and dial. WPAC has honed my self-bashing skills, but I can't find anything on this to bash for myself. I'd like it to be less expensive, but that's a personal psychology thing rather than an economic concern.

Do I need it? No. Can I get away with any watch on Sunday? Yes. But I just enjoy wearing a restrained watch with a jacket and tie, even though I know nobody else knows or cares. Is it boring? Sure, but so is any watch I'd wear that's appropriate to me for a jacket and tie.

Would I actually wear it? Definitely, based on how much I actually wear the Bambino.

Edit to add: I think it has a Miyota 9015. I've heard they're noisy. The Bambino is noisy, and it doesn't bother me. I'm in peril, brethren.

Bash away.

View attachment 14789903
Bit spiderwebby.. oh wait that was a different thread.

Anyway, did the bible say anything about greed? New watch for church, really?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Bit spiderwebby.. oh wait that was a different thread.

Anyway, did the bible say anything about greed? New watch for church, really?
Bad idea to try to use religion to bash a watch. Lol
Weetabix that thing will wear huge as others have pointed out- probably larger than the bambino. Also it's more a personal taste matter but that style of ultra minimal, super long skinny indices has been ruined for me because every Ali Express and overpriced mall dress watch looks like that. At first glance I would have said it's an underwear brand watch or something lol.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
In your situation, I'd wait 3 months and see how you feel then. Take a look at other things out there but don't buy anything. If the urge is there at that time you can revisit.
Silver hands on black are made to look good in pix, but same thing as you are noting on your Bambino, there will be lighting angles and conditions which will make it at least as hard to read, if not harder.

And OK, Church? How 'bout this: you keep your Bambino, figure out the difference between what you could get for the Bambino (you are going to sell it if you get the Archimede, right...?) and the cost of the Archimede, and donate the difference to the church or a charity it supports. WWJD, brother...?

You really want to swap your Bambino for that Archimede? Fine, sell your Bambino first, before you get the Archimede...
That's the stuff I needed to hear.

Still gonna look for a strap, though.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
That archimede is boring. Why would you ever want to pay for a boring watch? Get a daniel wellington if you need more boring in your life; same look.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Just buy a Movado and be done with it.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Bad idea to try to use religion to bash a watch.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Why so? I personally am not religious, but definitely spiritual. Reminding myself of my beliefs certainly helps with abstinence. Its a pretty big driver for it in fact.

Seeing as he is apparently attending church on Sundays, I suppose Christian belief holds some meaning to him. By no means was mocking his belief - rather was mocking the idea of getting a new unnecessary watch in the light of that belief.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Vatican is the largest treasure hoarder on Earth, and has been so for centuries. Seems like a fairly good endorsement to bring a little bling to the church.

Plus you never know when you might need to buy an indulgence or two in a hurry...

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Why so? I personally am not religious, but definitely spiritual. Reminding myself of my beliefs certainly helps with abstinence. Its a pretty big driver for it in fact.

Seeing as he is apparently attending church on Sundays, I suppose Christian belief holds some meaning to him. By no means was mocking his belief - rather was mocking the idea of getting a new unnecessary watch in the light of that belief.
Fair enough. No offense taken, if you were worried about that.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Tomfoolery aside, back to something serious.

I have an Orient Bambino I wear to church on Sundays and maybe 4 occasions during the year that call for it. It's probably my 4th most worn watch because of the occasions I wear it. The Damasko (OK, I won't get the DA46, too) and my Samurai's get worn more. Despite previous bashing, I like them, so I won't go look at Hornet's BDSM069 or whatever it was.

What I don't like about the Bambino: The size is a bit too large at 40.6. It's difficult to read at several angles because of the silver hands on a champagne or cream dial. I dislike the strap, and 21mm lugs are just retarded. I can't seem to find a better strap that I like.

I like this Archimede. Good contrast for legibility. Restrained dial with not a lot of text. 39 mm appears to be a good size for me. 20mm lugs so lots of strap choices. I like the hands, indices, matching date wheel, and the dial to bezel proportions. E.g. the SARB033's bezel is too wide for the dial. I like the domed acrylic and dial. WPAC has honed my self-bashing skills, but I can't find anything on this to bash for myself. I'd like it to be less expensive, but that's a personal psychology thing rather than an economic concern.

Do I need it? No. Can I get away with any watch on Sunday? Yes. But I just enjoy wearing a restrained watch with a jacket and tie, even though I know nobody else knows or cares. Is it boring? Sure, but so is any watch I'd wear that's appropriate to me for a jacket and tie.

Would I actually wear it? Definitely, based on how much I actually wear the Bambino.

Edit to add: I think it has a Miyota 9015. I've heard they're noisy. The Bambino is noisy, and it doesn't bother me. I'm in peril, brethren.

Bash away.

View attachment 14789903
Not familiar with brand but I like. I think it'll wear larger than 39mm because of the narrow bezel so it may feel/look similar to the Bambino and defeat the reason you're buying it. If you're interested, I can suggest an inexpensive watch ($60) that'll knock your sox off!

Reactions: Weetabix

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Not familiar with brand but I like. I think it'll wear larger than 39mm because of the narrow bezel so it may feel/look similar to the Bambino and defeat the reason you're buying it. If you're interested, I can suggest an inexpensive watch ($60) that'll knock your sox off!
Shh! Not here. Someone may be listening.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Still need to officially join, but could use a bit of dissuasion.
Have at it:

Is it a diver? Is it a field watch? Is it a pilot? Momentum: "Hey, I know, let's just toss everything at this one and hope people who like any one of these styles will go for it!" (Not realizing that they will lose more for people who don't like one or another of those styles...)

You like big watches?!? Because that's a big watch!

I suppose quartz is OK, if you're into that kind of thing.

On a NATO?

Are you at least considering the sapphire crystal or are you going completely cheap and thinking mineral glass?

Don't get me wrong, I've been hemming and hawing about the Steelix model for some time, and I really like my Momentum Atlas 38mm, but that thing... I dunno...

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Have at it:

I think that crown would drag you to the murky depths if you were foolhardy enough to dive with it. And they made it even heavier by not cutting all the notches in the bezel.

The font kind of looks like the Reader's Digest Large Print Edition. Your grandma would approve.

I've read the vanilla scent of the strap described as "really crazy pungent." Again, your grandma would approve.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Have at it:

Numerals on dial too big, clash with bezel numerals. What's with that oversize crown? Momentum "c", really? Torpedo, really? Chapter ring clashes too. Get ready to replace NATO strap.

Reactions: Weetabix

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Is it a diver? Is it a field watch? Is it a pilot? Momentum: "Hey, I know, let's just toss everything at this one and hope people who like any one of these styles will go for it!" (Not realizing that they will lose more for people who don't like one or another of those styles...)
It's a new style: the Unterseefeldflieger

701 - 720 of 5760 Posts