WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 3469 Posts

·
Registered
15,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2021 Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club (WPAC).

Welcome to the 2021 Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club, otherwise known as WPAC. This is the 5th year of WPAC, which was started at the beginning of 2017 to try and get myself and some other addicts out of a crazy buying/flipping cycle with watches, we were buying for the sake of it rather than for the appreciation of the watch itself, constantly chasing the next, new shiny watch or searching endlessly, fixated on some watch; generally, IMHO, a rather unhealthy behaviour.

So, what is the point of WPAC? Well, the aim is to abstain from purchasing watches. But that's a bit blunt really, the abstinence is a tool or a method to break the cycle of buying/flipping and become a discerning consumer of horology. Learning to appreciate what you have, understand what works for you with watches and think rationally about purchases, rather than emotionally. Yes we still love watches, but as we all know we can be weak, so WPAC is a place to get help; here you can take solace from like minded people and get support and encouragement.

With those that stick around and make some commitment WPAC has been successful; for me it's certainly helped me break the buy/flip cycle and stop obsessing, so maybe it can help you.

For the WPAC regulars (including the lurkers) we all know the SOP for this, but here are the rules for 2021......

Ground rules:
  1. Abstain from buying any watches for the whole of 2021.
  2. Pre-orders, even if delivery is in 2022, still count as a purchase.
  3. Trades are not acceptable.
  4. New straps, parts and tools are acceptable (buying all the parts separately to make a watch is not!).
  5. Sales are okay but $$$ can not be reappointed to a new purchase.
  6. Watches given to you as a gift are acceptable but the one in one out rule applies (see rule 8).
  7. Purchasing for profit is allowed, but watches purchased to make a profit shouldn't be worn or find their way into your watchbox. If they do then it's back to the one in one out rule. And we don't want to see them!
  8. If you fall from grace and succumb to temptation then the one in one out rule applies (applies to pre-orders as well), e.g. one of the existing watches must be sold/gifted to make room.
  9. All members to post SOTC (with photo of all watches) and state their intentions for 2021. This needs to be your first post please! ALL watches you own should be included, no exceptions.
  10. Please participate in the thread
  11. Bashing* of any potential purchases is mandatory, but let's keep it funny. Nuclear level bashing is required for any actual purchases.
  12. Expect to be challenged by others if you're suggesting a purchase, whatever you personal goals/aims and expect to need to defend yourself.
  13. Any topic of conversation is acceptable and in fact welcomed.

* - bashing has become a divisive issue in previous threads and it needs to be made clear upfront that bashing (meaning finding faults with a potential purchase in any way possible) is perfectly acceptable behaviour here and is encouraged. If your fragile ego can't take a little bit of abuse at an inanimate object that you desire then you're either too sensitive or in the wrong place. Having said that we need to keep it within the bounds of reasonable behaviour…….

If you've got a different goal, but it's aligned with the spirit of WPAC then feel free to join in and tell us what you're intending. And let's be clear here, neither I or anyone else can stop you purchasing a watch, it's up to you. WPAC is more of a state of mind than strictly keeping to some rules. As Captain Barbossa said in Pirates of the Caribbean, “Aye, they be more like guidelines". This isn't a deadly serious thread it's intended to be fun and for those who really do want to try and abstain…….

.......and if you do have a slightly different goal just expect to be treated as if you are abstaining, I'm not going to be remembering every person's little permutation of the rules.

Good luck to everyone for 2021.

·
Registered
15,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
OK, so WPAC 2021 and another year of trying to keep the watch addiction in check…..

I've been looking for a way to get off the horological treadmill; I have for a very long time wanted to be back to those pre-WUS days of being happy with a single watch. No obsessive searching, no mental anguish over buying something, no more of the chase for an elusive unicorn watch, no more flipping. OK WPAC has helped me hugely and I'm certainly much more of a reformed watch buyer than in previous years, but I'm still prone to becoming obsessive with watches and part of it is the desire to find that perfect watch. Setting myself up for failure with that? Maybe.

But I've realised that the genie is out of the bottle and there's really no way back to those halcyon days and that living with a single watch is a little far-fetched now but it can be close to that.

The thing is that I know exactly what I want from a watch; relatively small size, vintage submarine style case, snowflake hands, some bling on the dial, well made, female SELs and something of a recognisable name (I want that history and heritage, micro brands ain't gonna cut it….). But to date this hasn't helped as despite there being some affordable watches out there getting towards this there's always something that isn't quite right about them.

There is an option for me; the Tudor Black Bay 58. So, you may recall I recently borrowed a BB58 and said that I was underwhelmed with it. I wasn't being entirely truthful. I absolutely adored it and I could see that this would be the watch to finish it all for me. Nothing could top it and the only other affordable option, the NTH Barracuda, wasn't going to cut it; I'd always be hankering for the BB58. But after my experience with the Tudor Pelagos (a general uncomfortable feeling of wearing such, for me, an expensive watch) I was shying away from going back down the Tudor route because of this.

This has caused a lot of mental anguish, 1st world problems eh. So, what I've been doing is firstly looking for one at the right price, no way am I paying the premium for one, and as well I've been going around the mental block on the money issue. Eventually I resolved this in that I could either keep on lusting after one and buying watches that wouldn't satisfy me and prolong the pain or bite the bullet and get one. As Rusty has pointed out previously I've had a collection value that was in excess of the price of the BB58, so what was the problem? Also in the end I'll end up wasting/losing money through flipping so why do that. It's taken a while for me to make peace with myself over this whole issue.

So, with the mental hurdle looking more like something I could get over I turned to the issue of making sure that this would be it, call it a grail if you want, a watch I'd not want to sell. Something that I'd really want to keep. My very accommodating friend lent me his BB58 again and this gave me an opportunity to see if for a second time the joy would still be there. It was……

So, the end of 2020 was taken up by this mental juggling looking out for the bargain BB58 and found one towards the end of 2020 and managed to snag it for a good price. I am very, very happy with the watch. I've also realised that I need something else to wear other than the BB58 and this is the perfect opportunity to indulge in a long held desire to have another Citizen eco-drive. They are relatively cheap and it takes me back to the watch I owned and wore for 10 years before discovering WUS. One of those snagged in the 2020 black Friday sales at a bargain price. Everything else has gone, apart from my grandfather's Eterna.

So there you have it, two watches that will see regular use (total collection of 3 if you include my grandfathers Eterna) and I'm done. I've stopped reading anything else on WUS and I'll be slowly reducing my time even in WPAC, but I'll stick around to help keep things on the straight and narrow path of abstinence……

So SOTC for 2021 will be this:

Intentions are to buy nothing else at all.

.....and for full disclosure I have two pocket watches (these are sentimental pieces that never get worn/used) :

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
So, the end of 2021 was taken up by this mental juggling looking out for the bargain BB58 and found one towards the end of 2021 and managed to snag it for a good price.
Thank you for coming back from the future to let us know...

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Nicely done, @Hornet99 - that’s a nice trio indeed.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
OK, so WPAC 2021 and another year of trying to keep the watch addiction in check…..

I've been looking for a way to get off the horological treadmill; I have for a very long time wanted to be back to those pre-WUS days of being happy with a single watch. No obsessive searching, no mental anguish over buying something, no more of the chase for an elusive unicorn watch, no more flipping. OK WPAC has helped me hugely and I'm certainly much more of a reformed watch buyer than in previous years, but I'm still prone to becoming obsessive with watches and part of it is the desire to find that perfect watch. Setting myself up for failure with that? Maybe.

But I've realised that the genie is out of the bottle and there's really no way back to those halcyon days and that living with a single watch is a little far-fetched now but it can be close to that.

The thing is that I know exactly what I want from a watch; relatively small size, vintage submarine style case, snowflake hands, some bling on the dial, well made, female SELs and something of a recognisable name (I want that history and heritage, micro brands ain't gonna cut it….). But to date this hasn't helped as despite there being some affordable watches out there getting towards this there's always something that isn't quite right about them.

There is an option for me; the Tudor Black Bay 58. So, you may recall I recently borrowed a BB58 and said that I was underwhelmed with it. I wasn't being entirely truthful. I absolutely adored it and I could see that this would be the watch to finish it all for me. Nothing could top it and the only other affordable option, the NTH Barracuda, wasn't going to cut it; I'd always be hankering for the BB58. But after my experience with the Tudor Pelagos (a general uncomfortable feeling of wearing such, for me, an expensive watch) I was shying away from going back down the Tudor route because of this.

This has caused a lot of mental anguish, 1st world problems eh. So, what I've been doing is firstly looking for one at the right price, no way am I paying the premium for one, and as well I've been going around the mental block on the money issue. Eventually I resolved this in that I could either keep on lusting after one and buying watches that wouldn't satisfy me and prolong the pain or bite the bullet and get one. As Rusty has pointed out previously I've had a collection value that was in excess of the price of the BB58, so what was the problem? Also in the end I'll end up wasting/losing money through flipping so why do that. It's taken a while for me to make peace with myself over this whole issue.

So, with the mental hurdle looking more like something I could get over I turned to the issue of making sure that this would be it, call it a grail if you want, a watch I'd not want to sell. Something that I'd really want to keep. My very accommodating friend lent me his BB58 again and this gave me an opportunity to see if for a second time the joy would still be there. It was……

So, the end of 2021 was taken up by this mental juggling looking out for the bargain BB58 and found one towards the end of 2021 and managed to snag it for a good price. I am very, very happy with the watch. I've also realised that I need something else to wear other than the BB58 and this is the perfect opportunity to indulge in a long held desire to have another Citizen eco-drive. They are relatively cheap and it takes me back to the watch I owned and wore for 10 years before discovering WUS. One of those snagged in the 2020 black Friday sales at a bargain price. Everything else has gone, apart from my grandfather's Eterna.

View attachment 15621294

So there you have it, two watches that will see regular use (total collection of 3 if you include my grandfathers Eterna) and I'm done. I've stopped reading anything else on WUS and I'll be slowly reducing my time even in WPAC, but I'll stick around to help keep things on the straight and narrow path of abstinence……

View attachment 15621281

.....and for full disclosure I have two pocket watches (these are sentimental pieces that never get worn/used) :
View attachment 15621286
I love hearing your story and the journey which you've taken to get here. I can relate to many aspects of your journey as has been said in previous WPAC and messages.

I love the state of the collection and the watch you decided to go with as the main piece.

I've had similar thoughts regarding my own collection as it relates to size and heritage. For me, the brand names will stick around and the micros are slowly leaving.

Nice trio and congrats on reaching watch nirvana.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
What movement is in the lovely Rotary? UT6497 maybe?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I'll post a SOTC later. I know we've discussed what constitutes your "collecton." I'll not include watches I bought to take apart and practice servicing on. Those are consumables, and indeed some of them have been consumed. I'll only include watches that were ever intended to be worn.

And, since I can't seem to bother to sell anything, I'll again intend to give some away this year. I managed a few last year, but I'll get on the ball more this year.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
^^^ what happened to first post should be SOTC post? Ah right, guidelines not rules eh :p

Anyway, here's my SOTC for 2021:
Not much changed since last year, except the G-shock has become a Vostok.

Left to right:
  • Union Glashutte Noramis Gangreserve
  • Hamilton Viewmatic Open Heart
  • Stowa Flieger Classic 40
  • Vostok Komandirskie 811783 mod
  • Casio Lineage M500-td
Intentions for 2021:
The Stowa is listed for trade since a while, for a 36mm with date version. Think I would like the smaller version better, but not bothered enough with the 40mm to pro-actively sell and replace it. So I'll wait for the right trade to come along.

Other than that I intend to adhere to full abstinence - or at least try. In 2018 I bought 3(?not sure exactly). In 2019 I bought two. In 2020 I bought one. In 2021 I will buy none? Seems like a solid trend.

The Vostok has truly proven to be my ultimate daily watch, which gives me the confidence that I will indeed get through 2021 without buying anything. The only thing that could spoil my plans is if it craps out on me, which admittedly is not a completely unrealistic scenario for a Vostok (if only they made quartz Komandirskies).

For that reason also I will keep the Casio, which I had earlier contemplated selling, since its role as daily wearer has been taken over by the Vostok. But its good to have at least one reliable quartz all purpose back up watch. I realized I use it quite a bit also to set my other watches on time. As well it serves as my alarm clock (I like that the alarm is not too loud). And its a solid beater as well.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts

So, the end of 2020 was taken up by this mental juggling looking out for the bargain BB58 and found one towards the end of 2020 and managed to snag it for a good price. I am very, very happy with the watch. I've also realised that I need something else to wear other than the BB58 and this is the perfect opportunity to indulge in a long held desire to have another Citizen eco-drive. They are relatively cheap and it takes me back to the watch I owned and wore for 10 years before discovering WUS. One of those snagged in the 2020 black Friday sales at a bargain price. Everything else has gone, apart from my grandfather's Eterna.

View attachment 15621294

View attachment 15621281

View attachment 15621286
Well, you've tried similar things before. Hope this time it sticks and you manage to get through 2021 with it ;) Its a solid collection covering all bases. Think it was smart to add the ecodrive, for those occasions you're not comfortable taking out the Tudor (as you've experienced with the Pelagos before). If you fail abstinence in 2021, the watches surely were not the problem.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
My collection at the start of 2021:

As stated in last year's thread, I went upscale and turned over most of my collection in favor of more expensive (but still not crazy expensive) Swiss and German products. I still have two G-Shocks (the GW-9400 Rangeman in the upper left was sold today, so it's now out of the collection), one Seiko gen2 Monster for sentimental purposes, one micro-brand (Scurfa Diver D1-500), and the game-changing (for me, anyway) Apple Watch. My collection did not increase in size in 2020, so that's a sign that I'm at least heading in the right direction in regards to WPAC.

Goals for 2021: I will buy no more than one watch. I have some ideas about further consolidation and that would be the reason for the purchase, but there will be no more attraction to the lastest new micro-brand release, no interest in Seiko anymore, and no purchasing of a watch just because I'm bored. Anything done will be very, very carefully considered.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I like to take this opportunity to wish you all the best of luck in 2021.
Let's hope it will be a better one then 2020.
And take my hat off for that wonderful thought out rotation of the president of WPAC......it's beautiful and nice to see the result of this great thread 👏
I Will not be participating but will be enjoying the comeradery and down to earth look at these little treasures we simply call watches and are so easy to obsess about.
So lurker ready to lurk😉
Again the best of luck and God 's speed.

1 - 20 of 3469 Posts