WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

3061 - 3080 of 3471 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
500,000+ dead in the U.S. today. Hard to believe I've been inoculated against a virus that was unknown just a year ago. Biden just evoked FDR in a soothing speech contrasting Trump's utter ineptitude.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I agree that mechanical tool watches that are not G-Shocks and such is mostly marketing and a bit of pretend. A robust watch that can take a beating and has a few useful complications is handy, don’t get me wrong. But mostly talking about ‘professional’ pilot/diver/military watches etc when mechanical, and go all-in on the idea that they are pro tools.

I also think a modern man (or woman) doesn’t need more than 2. Something more dressy and something that can take a bit of a beating.

Though I buy and enjoy multiple ‘unnecessary’ mechanical ‘tool’ watches too. It’s not a diss on buying multiples. It’s like buying another summer jacket. If you like it, get it. Just interesting to discuss. I don’t think I could go below 3 watches

@Zzyzx Lübeck looks lovely! I have some friends in Hamburg that I’ve been meaning to visit, will ask if they can take me there (if they like it too, maybe they don’t).

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Though I buy and enjoy multiple ‘unnecessary’ mechanical ‘tool’ watches too. It’s not a diss on buying multiples. It’s like buying another summer jacket. If you like it, get it. Just interesting to discuss. I don’t think I could go below 3 watches
I have way too many jackets also. Maybe I'll go on a selling spree.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Reactions: jmariorebelo

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
For me, it's backpacks. Not much need for jackets down here in Texas, but I can't resist a good bag.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
I usually get a new phone every year. I currently have a Pixel 4a and have decided to keep it for at least another year.

My 2018 Subaru Forester will be paid off this year and I would usually go get a new vehicle but decided I'm going to keep it for at least a couple more years.

What's happening to me???

·
Registered
15,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,066
I usually get a new phone every year. I currently have a Pixel 4a and have decided to keep it for at least another year.

My 2018 Subaru Forester will be paid off this year and I would usually go get a new vehicle but decided I'm going to keep it for at least a couple more years.

The WPAC philosophy is spreading to other parts of your life.....

·
Registered
3,831 Posts

Don't want to judge but.. new phone every year, new car every 3 years.. that does seem a bit excessive to me. Bit more WPAC in other areas of life couldn't hurt..

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Don't want to judge but.. new phone every year, new car every 3 years.. that does seem a bit excessive to me. Bit more WPAC in other areas of life couldn't hurt..
I buy cheap. My phone's are not $1200 iphones, they are $350 Pixels.

I generally leased my vehicles every 3 years but purchased this one thinking I may keep it if I liked it, which I do.

I'm a believer in living moderately, I save for retirement but also try to enjoy life in the present. Working in healthcare I see too many people who leave this world early with nothing. Enjoy every moment.

The older I get them more I find moments more valuable than things though, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Buddy of mine can't make fun of my watches, since he needs closets/wardrobes 1) jackets, and 2) bags. He used to be into fountain pensz and likes watches, but refuses to be drawn in...

I average a car and phone every 5 years or so. Other than watches, no other real drains on my disposable income. Although there's a motorcycle in the garage screaming for mods...

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I buy cheap. My phone's are not $1200 iphones, they are $350 Pixels.

I generally leased my vehicles every 3 years but purchased this one thinking I may keep it if I liked it, which I do.

I'm a believer in living moderately, I save for retirement but also try to enjoy life in the present. Working in healthcare I see too many people who leave this world early with nothing. Enjoy every moment.

The older I get them more I find moments more valuable than things though, if that makes sense.

When leasing a car it makes more sense I suppose. But if buying something, I'm always in favor of buying for the long term - buy something that will last. Means paying a bit more than dirt cheap, but really doesn't have to cost a fortune either (depending on the type of thing).

A 350 phone can last longer than a year though. My previous phone was a oneplus 2, similar cost. Lasted me 5 years (though you could argue after 3 years it wasn't safe anymore due to lack of updates). A 1200 dollar phone isn't going to last you much longer than that either, solely due to the software side of things unfortunately.

But really that last sentence of yours sums it up. The fun and happiness in life comes from experiences more than things.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Lego

Lego Lego Lego Lego and more Lego.

Bloody pricey stuff Lego.

Watches take up less space - just saying
That's some collection! LEGOs are the best toy ever made. I'm secretly a little sad that we donated the huge box of LEGOs from my childhood to a local charity. But I guess it made some other kids as happy as it did me back when.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
That's some collection! LEGOs are the best toy ever made. I'm secretly a little sad that we donated the huge box of LEGOs from my childhood to a local charity. But I guess it made some other kids as happy as it did me back when.
Yeah, one of the upsides of being a parent is being able to play with Legos together with the kids ;)

Reactions: Hornet99 and Wimads

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Lego

Lego Lego Lego Lego and more Lego.

Bloody pricey stuff Lego.

Watches take up less space - just saying
Nice nice nice. I've successfully talked my way out of the big technic sets (for now), mostly due to accommodation uncertainties (the life of a 20 something in the 21st century), but I there's a limit to my restraint and I've gone for speed champions instead.

Lego was one of the biggest things in my childhood. I'd meet with friends to spend hours building our own creations, which 99% of the time were cars. Great times...

·
Registered
888 Posts
Lego is the best. Like @jmariorebelo it was a huge part of my childhood, any time I was playing inside it was almost certainly Lego. I built space ships, free form enough for my imagination to run wild. I could very well be a member of a LPAC because with two children now who also love them it's hard to not keep acquiring more. :) My son and I built the Saturn V rocket together when he was quite young and had such a good time.

·
Registered
15,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,079
All this talk of lego has made me miss all of mine from my childhood. But, now I've got a good idea of suggestions for my next Xmas present, some technics lego both my daughter and I can build together......

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Another watch heading out today. The brass Komandirskie.

Unfortunately, it's being replaced immediately with another de-chrome Komandirskie build - not a new watch, but one of the watches I had on hand for future builds.

3061 - 3080 of 3471 Posts