WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

5661 - 5680 of 6477 Posts

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
I was informed that Tapatalk is great if you are on a bunch of forums, but since this is the only one I regularly browse, the desjtop version for phones works fine.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Lol.. seems everyone is using the desktop version on phone. Its odd to me, but it seems like I'm actually the weird one using the mobile version... 😂

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hey WPAC folks ! Howdy?

Remember the watch with the misaligned hands I bragged about ? I've published a review of it.

So now you can tell me if I should flip it or not.

Jokes aside®, I'm not an expert at this kind of exercise (I had to do some research before getting other things than dead pixels for my lume shots, for example 😆), so any feedback is welcome !

Honestly, if you like the watch, why await for someone to purchase it to realize you don't wanna sell it ? ;)

I'd cancel the sell, and see if the watch gets more wrist time now that you've realized that. If he doesn't gets some, then you would have double checked your answer. :)
Cool review. I noticed the Ka in one of the pics had a Lozère plate. Is that where you are? I've never been. We've holidayed on the Atlantic coast for the last 6 or 7 years, I'm thinking about a change of scene this year, maybe somewhere like the Cévennes, if we're able to travel to France by the summer.

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,664 ·
I enjoyed reading this.......

·
Registered
303 Posts
Cool review. I noticed the Ka in one of the pics had a Lozère plate. Is that where you are? I've never been. We've holidayed on the Atlantic coast for the last 6 or 7 years, I'm thinking about a change of scene this year, maybe somewhere like the Cévennes, if we're able to travel to France by the summer.
You've got quite the eye for details. Since a handful of years, the department number on the plate can be freely chosen, independently from where you live or purchase the car. That being said, I'm quite familiar with Lozère. There's more vegetation than in the nearing departments, lots of outdoors sports possibilities, and as it's aloft there's about 10°C less than at the sea level. So quite a good choice for a summer without too much heat waves !

That being said, not sure about how international travel will be for the next one. Other corona-holidays aren't ruled out. :unsure:

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
I enjoyed reading this.......

Wait, dude bought 50 watches, and you are promoting his post?!?

Oh, right - gifts - as you were...

·
Registered
676 Posts
You've got quite the eye for details. Since a handful of years, the department number on the plate can be freely chosen, independently from where you live or purchase the car. That being said, I'm quite familiar with Lozère. There's more vegetation than in the nearing departments, lots of outdoors sports possibilities, and as it's aloft there's about 10°C less than at the sea level. So quite a good choice for a summer without too much heat waves !

That being said, not sure about how international travel will be for the next one. Other corona-holidays aren't ruled out. :unsure:
I didn't realise you could choose your department now, it seems to defeat the purpose although I don't actually know what the purpose is.

We drive down from the North(ish) of England to the South of France, even Spain, via Calais or St Malo or Caen most years. But a very long drive any which way. So one of the things we do to keep occupied is look at what department cars are from and guess if they're local or tourists and find out a bit about the department if we're not familiar with it and if we might visit one year. Not for the whole journey, that would be mental, but every now and again. So 48 Lozère was interesting as a possible destination at one point and we're familiar with images of Mende and the area from the TdF. I'm always torn between the glorious sandy beaches, warm seas and crashing surf of the Atlantic coast South of Bordeaux and tranquil, untouristy, rural France. For the kids, the seaside wins every time.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I didn't realise you could choose your department now, it seems to defeat the purpose although I don't actually know what the purpose is.
The purpose was the identification of the car, both by the license plate and what is called the grey card. Those were historically delivered by department, whereas since about 10 years ago, they became independent from it, as new cars would be followed by their initial license plate during all their life.

Long story short, the department numbers weren't necessary anymore. The government thus tried to get rid of them, but people liked them and also used them to guess if the driver was familiar with the roads he was in. So they allowed us to keep them, but as it's now unrelated to the papers, one can choose whatever number he wants. 🔎
We drive down from the North(ish) of England to the South of France, even Spain, via Calais or St Malo or Caen most years. But a very long drive any which way. So one of the things we do to keep occupied is look at what department cars are from and guess if they're local or tourists and find out a bit about the department if we're not familiar with it and if we might visit one year. Not for the whole journey, that would be mental, but every now and again. So 48 Lozère was interesting as a possible destination at one point and we're familiar with images of Mende and the area from the TdF. I'm always torn between the glorious sandy beaches, warm seas and crashing surf of the Atlantic coast South of Bordeaux and tranquil, untouristy, rural France. For the kids, the seaside wins every time.
Yeah, that's a fun game. As for being tourists free, that applies mostly in winter. There are significant amounts of them in summer (the population of some areas nearly double), though not as much as at seaside cities of course. Anyway, lots of hiking, of nature curiosities, gastronomic discoveries, and until recently, of sports to do. But it's a mountain vs seaside debate, so it's up to everyone to find a consensus regarding next holidays destinations. ;)

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
One of their divers of course :

Personally, I can't help thinking about why people would want to constantly inform the others of where and how a message was sent. I mean, if you're got a nice phone and nice apps, good for you, but does one really need to mention it in every single post ?

Sent from my toilets using my laptop
Generally, I believe, that’s set up automatically unless you edit it. I don’t much care to worry about it.
Worse would be “I own a Rolex, look at me!”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I was informed that Tapatalk is great if you are on a bunch of forums, but since this is the only one I regularly browse, the desjtop version for phones works fine.
This is my reason for using it. Multiple forums and it’s better designed for mobile phones. I find it much cleaner than a mobile site which is generally designed for a computer and just crammed onto a phone screen.
Some mobile sites are better than others.

Reactions: catsteeth

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,671 ·
Generally, I believe, that’s set up automatically unless you edit it. I don’t much care to worry about it.

I want to edit my signature and put that now......

·
Registered
303 Posts
But I was just gonna...

Nevermind... 😃

Jokes aside, I believe on the contrary people might more often get uncomfortable when the attention is drawn in to an expensive watch of theirs. But over phones ? Curiously not, even though the latest revolutionary iPhone20 might in fact be more costly than a lot of watches. An interesting topic over the watches side.

Sent from my Rolex A.D using my credit card

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,673 ·
An interesting topic over the watches side.

I was going to post in that thread, but then realised it was in the public forum, so decided better of it...... :oops:

.....my response would be along the lines of, no I'm not ashamed, but there is an element of my state of mind that says to me expensive watches wouldn't "fit" comfortably with me. My parents were never flashy in terms of clothes or possessions and were always careful with money. That has rubbed off on me, I don't like spending money, don't like having loans (or should I say feel very averse to them). So, there's a mental limit of what I'm comfortable buying/wearing and that's most definitely in the affordables price range.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I was going to post in that thread, but then realised it was in the public forum, so decided better of it...... :oops:

.....my response would be along the lines of, no I'm not ashamed, but there is an element of my state of mind that says to me expensive watches wouldn't "fit" comfortably with me. My parents were never flashy in terms of clothes or possessions and were always careful with money. That has rubbed off on me, I don't like spending money, don't like having loans (or should I say feel very averse to them). So, there's a mental limit of what I'm comfortable buying/wearing and that's most definitely in the affordables price range.
I'm similar and live a rather simple life. I'm non-flashy purposely. I'd rather blend into nature than be an independent object for people to look at.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
But I was just gonna...

Nevermind... 😃

Jokes aside, I believe on the contrary people might more often get uncomfortable when the attention is drawn in to an expensive watch of theirs. But over phones ? Curiously not, even though the latest revolutionary iPhone20 might in fact be more costly than a lot of watches. An interesting topic over the watches side.

Would I be ashamed to wear a gold VC given to me by family? Nope, not in the least. Would I wear it...? Only on rarest of rare dress occasions, notably involving the in-laws on this particular case. Otherwise, I'd be more anxious about f'ing it up in the course of a normal day, than ashamed to wear it.

I have my Grampa's gold Longines, and same thing, will wear it on occasion, but more worried about damaging it than what anyone thinks about me wearing it.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Would I be ashamed to wear a gold VC given to me by family? Nope, not in the least. Would I wear it...? Only on rarest of rare dress occasions, notably involving the in-laws on this particular case. Otherwise, I'd be more anxious about f'ing it up in the course of a normal day, than ashamed to wear it.

I have my Grampa's gold Longines, and same thing, will wear it on occasion, but more worried about damaging it than what anyone thinks about me wearing it.
I'd wear it to death, I'd literally wear it for everything. (Not for building, exercising, etc obviously).

One thing I have noticed though - My natural watch position is right down over the wrist up against my hand. It just seems to be comfortable for me.
But I've noticed when I wear a 'nice' watch, perhaps something non-wis would consider a bit flash. I've been wearing it way up above the wrist well under the cuff. Just by tightening a strap one notch it'll sit on the slimmest part of the arm.

So if I had a truly nice >£30,000 gold VC, I'd wear it at least 50% of the time. Just not noticeably, and partially protected by being under my cuff.

5661 - 5680 of 6477 Posts