WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

5701 - 5720 of 6485 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Tudor Instagram story has me in a bit of trouble

Not gonna lie, it looks good if fake oldies is your thing, but you don't need to buy it at release. Take your time. Wait for specs. Wait for reviews with real life photos. Wait for an opportunity to try it in person. If you still want it, wait some more until deals show up. Then go ahead.

Part of this watch purchasing madness is the need for instant gratification, fuelled by manufacturers that want to generate artificial scarcity or urgency ("buy now", "LE", "limited production" etc). You don't need to oblige, the watch will be there half a year from now probably for somewhat cheaper or - worst case scenario - for the same price. Slow and steady wins the race.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts

Just popped up on my Facebook feed. Coincidence?

My advice is don't buy. Apparently marine nationale is pimping collabs left and right. Those sailors have a babe at every port. You don't want to go there. :)

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,703 ·
Depends on the watch. My beater, G-Shock GW9400 is large, tall (18.2mm!), bumps into things, but I don't care, the watch can take it and more.

Otherwise I agree with the gents here. When looking for a beater the first point of the thought process shouldn't be fear of beating it up. The Inox isn't a typical beater but can take it. My Seiko Samurai is of similar dimensions (43.8mm bezel and 13.5mm tall) and its a very nice, proportionate sports watch. Wouldn't consider it too big for my 6.75-7 inch wrist.
Not really helping here are you?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think you're getting confused as to what a beater means. Its supposed to be a watch that you can wear without worrying about it getting damaged.
Its NOT supposed to be a watch that's so large you can't help but beat it into every wall, doorpost, kitchen slab and toddler's head you encounter... Because that's what the INOX is..
Forgot about the bashing ! But you're absolutely right, let's do this the WPAC way.

-1 vote for the INOX: too big, will be more likely to knock everywhere..

I wouldn't be disturbed by shock/scratches on that watch though ; it's literally made for it, and the crystal is protected. Yet, point taken, Wimads. 😋
I decided, early on, I hated big watches. Just like big phones. I don’t want to feel them as I carry them, they should blend into my person and lifestyle only to be used when needed. They should not be a hindrance.

As far as wearing an Uber expensive watch? No way, again not my style. If it was inherited it would, unfortunately, go in a safe. That’s probably the only way I’d have to worry about one.
-1 vote for the INOX, large watches are less comfortable.

There is a titanium and even a carbon version however, so it can get to be not that heavy. The carbon version is unreasonably expensive though. $$$
It's not that I would not wear a large watch because of what other people might think of me, it's that I genuinely do not think they fit or look good on my 7" wrist. I find myself most comfortable in the 36-37mm range for non-divers; up to 40mm for watches with rotating bezels. There are some outliers - 34mm vintage watch; 44mm bronze diver - but I'm always more concerned with how a watch appeals to me and fits, than what others might think.
-1 vote for the INOX, might not fit well on 7" wrists (which is my size as well).

But is 43 mm already a large watch ? You're right about this kind of watch having to be tried on before though.

The number of times I've lusted after a bigger watch, bigger than what I know fits my wrist, breaking my own rules, bought it and then intensely regretted it has been numerous. So, if you know what fits you don't deviate from that.

Also who actually lusts over a beater? No one. It's a beater.

And what are you doing that really dictates the need for a beater when you probably already have something that is perfectly acceptable. Or you could just take the watch off when doing the heavy duty activity (washing up the dishes?).
Rather thinking about sporting (biking, workout), getting exposed to rain & condensation, tinkering etc.

And I do lust over beaters because the watch I like the most is the most beaten one. Yet, a bit too much beaten I'm afraid. XD

So -4 points/bashes for the INOX, -0 for the Bertucci. Bertucci has taken the lead.
Only 5 more months to go.

While the overall proportions are nice, the lumed indexes look a bit like tape on a pack to me... ;)

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The INOX is a kind of deluxe beater, if that makes sense. Great wrist presence and tough as anything (see all those Utube videos of it being dropped off buildings and driven over by tanks etc). I’ve had two. This is an auto version. Highly recommended (always subject to WPAC rules, of course).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Trias

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,713 ·
But, but, but it's just not a Tudor Rusty and you know you'll just lusty after the Tudor anyway. Your only hope is that Tudor [email protected] up the design, which is highly likely......

......and with a WPAC hat on, its just another Tudor Rusty, they'll be yet another one in a year's time or so to lust after. Just appreciate what you already have rather than seeking the mythical unicorn of horological satisfaction.

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,714 ·
The INOX is a kind of up deluxe beater, if that makes sense. Great wrist presence and tough as anything (see all those Utube videos of it being dropped off buildings and driven over by tanks etc). I’ve had two. This is an auto version. Highly recommended (always subject to WPAC rules, of course).

Deluxe beater? OMG you just invented a new watch category.....

......detention for you sonny.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think the luxury beater has always been a thing. At least in my head. It's the watch that you write off in terms of cost; you're not going to sell it or pass it onto your d0uchebag kids, you're just going to wear it wherever and whenever and not worry about it. It doesn't necessarily have to be cheap and ugly to fulfil this role.

Who knew d0uchebag was censored? strange considering what you can say.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
But, but, but it's just not a Tudor Rusty and you know you'll just lusty after the Tudor anyway. Your only hope is that Tudor [email protected] up the design, which is highly likely......

......and with a WPAC hat on, its just another Tudor Rusty, they'll be yet another one in a year's time or so to lust after. Just appreciate what you already have rather than seeking the mythical unicorn of horological satisfaction.
I know mate but blue dial snowflake sub was always my grail so let’s wait and see

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I think the luxury beater has always been a thing. At least in my head. It's the watch that you write off in terms of cost; you're not going to sell it or pass it onto your d0uchebag kids, you're just going to wear it wherever and whenever and not worry about it. It doesn't necessarily have to be cheap and ugly to fulfil this role.

Amen

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Because recently I’ve bought too much and don’t want to buy more. Then a blue snowflake sub which I’ve always wanted gets hinted at on Tudors Instagram story. Temptation is a terrible thing. The bluebay58 wasnt right. I only kept it two months. No drilled lugs - round indices - and blue of dial and insert didn’t match.

I might find it hard to say no to this IF it’s released.
Why do you presume the blue on the dial and bezel on this one would match?

But I do think the Tudor sub was the best looking sub homage ever.

Sent from my AGS2-W09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

I like the idea of luxury beater. It doesn't matter which watch, or how much it cost. I try to wear the heck out of all my watches.
It doesn't mean being careless, or too careful. It means fully enjoying all my watches regardless of cost.

Yeah I found that out about d-bag the other day, it's a bit ..🤦‍♂️

5701 - 5720 of 6485 Posts