WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

5821 - 5840 of 6470 Posts

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,823 ·
OK, as fascinating as the Arthurian debate is I've got a watch related question (.....yeah,total buzz kill). Have you ever experienced the following:
  • Have a watch and love it. Think it is a thing of beauty and could live with it forever.
  • See new shiny watch and get mildly obsessed with it.
  • Suddenly find that current watch is no longer a thing of beauty, it is a lumpen mess that you now dislike.
I wonder whether this is a problem with small collections or just that I'm never, ever satisfied.....

Answers on a postcard please..... :oops: o_O :cool:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
OK, as fascinating as the Arthurian debate is I've got a watch related question (.....yeah,total buzz kill). Have you ever experienced the following:
  • Have a watch and love it. Think it is a thing of beauty and could live with it forever.
  • Suddenly find that current watch is no longer a thing of beauty, it is a lumpen mess that you now dislike.
I wonder whether this is a problem with small collections or just that I'm never, ever satisfied.....

Guilty as charged. This is fuelled by the one-in-one-out policy, self-imposed or WPAC. You just have to find and justify one to let go and suddenly all its faults become insufferable.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts

Yes, yes, and yes.

It's astonishing how I've bought watches, and thought that's brilliant, total keeper. Then X months/years later it quietly slips out the collection.
What doesn't help is watch media. Seeing all those lovely watches here and in the magazine's.

On a separate note:
I'd just like to say I'm sick of using the word collection. I don't like to think of myself as curating a thoughtful "collection". I've just got a few watches, that are fairly fluid.
But I don't like saying "bunch" of watches either. So I use it.... 😞🤔

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

In the past, yes.

Now, no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Hornet99

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
We need a tongue in cheek emoji. I was riffing off the discussion, while actually agreeing that way too many people take this whole hobby much too seriously.

@Zzyzx mentioned the internal/external. I think an obsession with this whole external fulfillment thing speaks to an unrealized internal emptiness that the obsessed are trying to fill. Too many philosophers to count have cautioned us against that for millennia. But people are a hard-headed lot who mostly learn (if at all) by personal experience.
Easier to buy something for that feeling of fleeting satisfaction, than do the hard internal work for lasting satisfaction.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts

Norton Shakespeare - read the footnotes. It's slow-going, but helps get into it. It will take a couple plays to pick up the language to a point where you are reading rather than struggling with the archaic idiom, but worth it.

The experience of admiring the potential of a prospective purchase, realizing it, and then the luster fades... is why we need something like WPAC.

I'm ending up with a couple dozen watches and enjoying them. A few come, a few go - recently the velocity has dropped.

Currently wearing my Seiko 5 SNKL41... and while I'm looking at everything from a vintage King Seiko 4502-7000 to Grand Seiko SBGX and Citizen Chronomasters, I know in my heart that there would be very little about these more expensive watches that would satisfy me that much more, to an extent that justifies purchase of these more expensive analogs.

So for the time being, although I have enough funds from watch sales, and more potential listed, to buy a "grail"... meh. What would it do better for me than this lovely little Seiko 5?

Having a bit of an existential crisis right now, but with definite WPAC leanings.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts

Its happened once, but its far from a pattern for me. Have gotten obsessed with new shiny watches plenty if times (who hasn't here). But the live with it forever feeling I've only had twice, and so far one is still going strong.

First time was the Sea(sick)forth. Thought it was the grail, but it lasted for about half a year until I lost interest. Though looking at new shiny watches didn't have much to do with that. Its just that once the novelty of the color wore off, there really wasn't much else to it.

Second time was/is the Komandirskie. And that's still going strong. As long as my life doesn't change dramatically, I don't think there's anything that could knock it off my wrist.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts

It happens to me and it's definitely annoying. The problem for me lies largely with the buying process: I convince myself I need that watch, and when it arrives I'm happy. But deep down I was more 'ticking a box' that I've convinced myself to tick, rather than it being a true desire. After a while, when the satisfaction of ticking the box goes away, you're left with a watch that just doesn't get worn enough, and you flip it.

But the other half of the issue is the 'grass is greener' syndrome. Wondering if the other thing is perhaps better..

I just had a 'no, the grass isn't greener' moment. I toyed with the idea that a Nomos might be nicer than the Stowa I bought. I went to an AD yesterday and checked out Nomos and Junghans next to my Stowa, and no, they are not nicer. Very similar quality from Nomos, but you pay more for in-house movements and AD fees and branding. Even the in-house movements I was a tad underwhelmed by. Not worth it.
The one thing I was very impressed by is Horweed Cordovan straps...I'm gonna buy one of those haha.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The grass seems always greener on the other side. For my part, I'd rather say that once you start noticing flaws you can't unsee them. Keeping seeing the qualities despite that is the main question.

I've got one watch which I consider perfect, though it's currently damaged (it acquired weaknesses it hadn't to begin with). But I still like it a lot, and intend to restore it to its former glory.

Those which are more problematic are the ones which have flaws I hadn't noticed at the start, as it continuously fuels the doubts about being able to live with it along the years. :unsure:

Btw, for a small collection, yours seems well thought in size and roles :

You've got a nice every day diver, a more elegant dress one ; and a beater. I wish I was able to do that ; but half of my collection are gifts/vintage ; so choosing a similar pathway would mean I'd have to discard gifts, and also lose in variety (no more wooden watches XD).

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,835 ·
Guilty as charged. This is fuelled by the one-in-one-out policy, self-imposed or WPAC. You just have to find and justify one to let go and suddenly all its faults become insufferable.
Hmmmm, do you think that the one in one out policy is exacerbating things?

Yes, yes, and yes.

It's astonishing how I've bought watches, and thought that's brilliant, total keeper. Then X months/years later it quietly slips out the collection.
What doesn't help is watch media. Seeing all those lovely watches here and in the magazine's.

On a separate note:
I'd just like to say I'm sick of using the word collection. I don't like to think of myself as curating a thoughtful "collection". I've just got a few watches, that are fairly fluid.
But I don't like saying "bunch" of watches either. So I use it.... 😞🤔
Collection is I'll admit a rather grandiose term for what we have.....

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts

I still have this challenge.

When I am seriously tempted by a new watch, what helps me is to physically pull out the collection, look at each watch, and ask myself if I would get rid of that watch in favor of the new one. On occasion, The answer has been yes, and I have made the 1:1 swap.

However, what makes me feel like my collection is more stable than ever is I now come away from that experience saying no. I still have temptations for the new watch, but I don't want to get rid of any of the ones in the collection in favor of something new. I can't swear that this will always be the case, but that physical viewing of each current watch rekindles the original fire I had when buying it, and that helps stave off the crush I have on the new watch.

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
Sinner mentioned something about messing around with girlfriends until settling down with a wife. I think there's something to that analogy. I have begun to look at this new watch desire we all get in a new light. I think about it in the same way any man does when he sees a pretty girl. Sure, there is always going to be a natural attraction. However, as adults in a committed relationship, we are mature enough to allow the initial, intense feelings to pass without action (beyond drooling). Soon, the powerful temptation subsides, and the idea of abandoning what we have in favor of the new shiny young thing seems ridiculous to us.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Boredom and curiousity are the two biggest battles for me, and make it hard to stay on the wagon. One-out/one-in discipline helps, but it still provides an escape from pure watch purchasing abstinence. Will I get bored of the six watches in my current collection? I reluctantly know the answer: very likely. That means that they will all eventually be turned over, but at least that’s better than I was three years ago when I was buying and flipping with reckless abandon.

5821 - 5840 of 6470 Posts