WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

5841 - 5860 of 6470 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
I still have this challenge.

When I am seriously tempted by a new watch, what helps me is to physically pull out the collection, look at each watch, and ask myself if I would get rid of that watch in favor of the new one. On occasion, The answer has been yes, and I have made the 1:1 swap.
Good thinking. Cleaning the watches, and forcing oneself to effectively wear them can also help reminding their qualities when being in doubt.
My Fieldforce's proportions seem a bit off, and the seconds hands alignment is imperfect... but when it's clean, the colors are just amazing, even when just passing by the corridor where the windowed box is. 🌤

However, as adults in a committed relationship, we are mature enough to allow the initial, intense feelings to pass without action (beyond drooling)
I agree.

Plus in case of emergency, we still have the possibility of the morning after pill cancelling the order.

(how is he going btw ? I'm not seeing him around this time)

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,842 ·
Boredom and curiousity are the two biggest battles for me, and make it hard to stay on the wagon. One-out/one-in discipline helps, but it still provides an escape from pure watch purchasing abstinence. Will I get bored of the six watches in my current collection? I reluctantly know the answer: very likely. That means that they will all eventually be turned over, but at least that’s better than I was three years ago when I was buying and flipping with reckless abandon.
It's the realisation that there is the strong chance that whatever you buy will be unlikely to stay the course.......

.....I find that somewhat depressing.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Boredom and curiousity are the two biggest battles for me, and make it hard to stay on the wagon. One-out/one-in discipline helps, but it still provides an escape from pure watch purchasing abstinence. Will I get bored of the six watches in my current collection? I reluctantly know the answer: very likely. That means that they will all eventually be turned over, but at least that’s better than I was three years ago when I was buying and flipping with reckless abandon.
What is it about the six watches in your collection you'll get bored with? Why don't you love them? You bought them! I can understand getting curious about a watch on the horizon but why does that detract from loving those you already own? In my case, after buying and selling dozens of watches, the dopamine rush has subsided. Maybe I'm lucky but I treasure the watches I own. My fever has broken. My new pup is my latest diversion but I don't want to sell Max and buy three new pups, LOL. I am eyeing the car market because my lease is up in November. And I will buy other watches. Maybe an anOrdain Model 2?

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
Good thinking. Cleaning the watches, and forcing oneself to effectively wear them can also help reminding their qualities when being in doubt.
My Fieldforce's proportions seem a bit off, and the seconds hands alignment is imperfect... but when it's clean, the colors are just amazing, even when just passing by the corridor where the windowed box is.

I agree.

Plus in case of emergency, we still have the possibility of the morning after pill cancelling the order.

(how is he going btw ? I'm not seeing him around this time)
True. I should have mentioned handling the watches as well.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
What is it about the six watches in your collection you'll get bored with? Why don't you love them? You bought them! I can understand getting curious about a watch on the horizon but why does that detract from loving those you already own?
Four things, really:

1. I have no sentimentality towards objects. People? Sure. But things? No. I often see a post about "this is watch I wore when my daughter was born and I'll never sell it." I don't have that attachment at all. To me, watches are just inanimate objects. Pretty ones, to be sure. But not memory-keepers.

2. After a period of ownership with a given watch, I usually feel that I've gotten everything I wanted out of it and wonder what else is out there that I could then experience. Nothing against the watch that gradually becomes less exciting to me but there are a lot of black and blue dial diver watches in the world and I have an innate curiosity about a lot of them. I'd still like to experience an Oris, a Sinn, a Longines, and possibly a Panerai.

3. The most dangerous epiphany for me was when I sold my first watch on Watchseek's sales forum. Suddenly, flipping a watch was remarkably easy! To date, I've sold over sixty. I know that every watch that I own right now could be gone tomorrow if the price I advertise it for is reasonable enough. That's a huge temptation to let them go and replace them with something else.

4. I am a watch addict. I freely admit it. Like others with addictions, my brain fights me as I try to remain strong. Hence, WPAC is almost the only thread that I participate in here on Watchuseek as I can discuss this intelligently with others with my same affliction.

I've stated this many times in the past, but I'll repeat it here again. I think Rusty's approach to watch ownership is the most prudent one for me (and me only) to emulate. He knows he's going to buy a watch or two each year, tries to keep his collection total at a predetermined level, and rigorously practices one-out/one-in. Knowing the four points above about my personality, Rusty's path is the one that I find most resonates with me.

Finally: there is no such thing as the perfect watch ("grail" and all that) that will end the madness. So I don't even bother looking.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
1. I have no sentimentality towards objects. People? Sure. But things? No. I often see a post about "this is watch I wore when my daughter was born and I'll never sell it." I don't have that attachment at all. They are just inanimate objects. Pretty ones, to be sure. But not memory-keepers for me.
Same here. And so many people seem to think of me as being heartless because of it.

Anyway, how about we get back to Arthurian romance again? :p

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,847 ·
Four things, really:

1. I have no sentimentality towards objects. People? Sure. But things? No. I often see a post about "this is watch I wore when my daughter was born and I'll never sell it." I don't have that attachment at all. They are just inanimate objects. Pretty ones, to be sure. But not memory-keepers for me.

2. After a while experiencing the ownership routine with a given watch, I feel that I've gotten everything I wanted out of it and wonder what else is out there that I could then experience. Nothing against the watch that gradually becomes less exciting to me but there are a lot of black and blue dial diver watches in the world and I have an innate curiosity about a lot of them. I'd still like to experience an Oris, a Sinn, a Longines, and possibly a Panerai.

3. The most dangerous epiphany for me was when I sold my first watch on Watchseek's sales forum. Suddenly, flipping a watch was remarkably easy! To date, I've sold over sixty. I know that every watch that I own right now could be gone tomorrow if the price I advertise it for is reasonable enough. That's a huge temptation to let them go and replace them with something else.

4. I am a watch addict. I freely admit it. Like others with addictions, my brain fights me as I try to remain strong. Hence, WPAC is almost the only thread that I participate in here on Watchuseek as I can discuss this intelligently with others with my same affliction.

I've stated this many times in the past, but I'll repeat it here again. I think Rusty's approach to watch ownership is the most prudent one for me (and me only) to emulate. He knows he's going to buy a watch or two each year, tries to keep his collection total at a predetermined level, and rigorously practices one-out/one-in. Knowing the four points above about my personality, Rusty's path is the one that I find most resonates with me.

Finally: there is no such thing as the perfect watch ("grail" and all that) that will end the madness. So I don't even bother looking.
I agree with everything you have said and see parallels with myself. I'd do still hang on (stupidly maybe) to the possibility of a watch that could satisfy me, not a grail, but something that would stick with me for a very long time. Pipe dream? Maybe.

I do suspect that if we weren't exposed to /aware of WUS and that the temptation, leading to boredom with what you have, would be pretty much gone......
........or to put it another way, if we weren't on here maybe watches would last longer?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
What changed?
Learning to live in the moment. Appreciating what I have and understanding there isn’t something “better” out there. In Buddhism it’s called Apranihita, enjoying life.

I’m not perfect by any means but much, much better than in the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
I agree with everything you have said and see parallels with myself. I'd do still hang on (stupidly maybe) to the possibility of a watch that could satisfy me, not a grail, but something that would stick with me for a very long time. Pipe dream? Maybe.

I do suspect that if we weren't exposed to /aware of WUS and that the temptation, leading to boredom with what you have, would be pretty much gone......
........or to put it another way, if we weren't on here maybe watches would last longer?
Agreed. Watch forums are great and terrible platforms for us. As much as I appreciate learning about the history, mechanical operations, improvements in design, etc, I acknowledge they all contribute to the obsession.

·
Premium Member
5,742 Posts
Took a week off WUS and it was good. I’m not addicted to buying watches, I’m addicted to the forum. It was kind of hard not to go to the site.

Nobody hits “new posts” more than me in a day, I’m pretty sure.

Watches will come and go - that won’t stop but maybe logging into this site a bit less will be good in general.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Coming regularly to Watchuseek is the symptom of the core illness, I believe. The day I stop reading the threads here is the day that I know the beast of watch addiction has been vanquished. It's happened to me before with audio equipment, cameras, automobiles, bicycles, and probably not too far in the distant future it will be the same with watches as I move onto something else to occupy my spare time. The question is whether I will flip my entire collection for something else before that occurs?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Agreed. Watch forums are great and terrible platforms for us. As much as I appreciate learning about the history, mechanical operations, improvements in design, etc, I acknowledge they all contribute to the obsession.
Just look at the number of WRUW threads on the forum.
That paints a picture.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hmmmm, do you think that the one in one out policy is exacerbating things?
While I think that the policy is helpful in general to cope with the addiction, it does have a capacity to exacerbate that state of mind that you described in your original post. You begin to covet a watch and suddenly what you have is not good enough anymore. Well, the one-in, one-out policy takes this a step further, because what you have is not only not good enough, but it is the very thing that prevents you from getting what you want. The mind is pretty good at making excuses in order to get what it wants. The "not good enough" becomes "so bad it has to go this instant at any price", because the mind want to have its new shiny thing as soon as possible.

Without the policy, there is no such pressure to sell. However, it may turn into hoarding, which may be even worse. To paraphrase Euclid, there is no royal road to abstience...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Four things, really:

2. After a while experiencing the ownership routine with a given watch, I feel that I've gotten everything I wanted out of it and wonder what else is out there that I could then experience. Nothing against the watch that gradually becomes less exciting to me but there are a lot of black and blue dial diver watches in the world and I have an innate curiosity about a lot of them. I'd still like to experience an Oris, a Sinn, a Longines, and possibly a Panerai.

That explains it, I have no retort. The only points on which we differ are 3 and 4. Different horses for different courses as they say. I'm a hedonist. My addictive tendencies have a yellow streak that contravenes the "lost weekend". I also aspire to philosophically "own" -- take responsibility for that which I acquire. As you know, I've bought a fair share of watches that I hated and sold.

I like WUS/WPAC because of the camaraderie.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not sure. I think they refer to mine as a unibody case, by which they may mean the fixed lugs.
Hm... maybe they only make a couple with the monocoque case. Or maybe I'm mixing things up.
About that, I've seen some reviews, and I can confirm the unibody case means that the lug bars are part of the case for most Bertuccis (the A2-S Ballista seems among the few ones that have somewhat removable lugs though). That means that most are Zulu/NATO watches only. The case backs however seem to be screw down for most units.
And curiously, the hands alignment seems better on Japanese movement than Swiss or US ones on their models. I'ma do a bit of survey in the next days to investigate. :unsure:
The community makes thinking about watches a conscious part of your every day life ; whereas they are supposed to be a discreet part of your daily routines. That make us a bit different from non addicts, but also somehow a bit closer to watchmakers. 🔎

Yet, for me the temptation of impulsive buys mostly arise on some selling sites (mostly Ebay, I guess the sales section of WUS could also be the same). So at the moment, I feel I can discuss an learn without changing my objectives/set dates in that regard. :)

·
Registered
4,112 Posts

Its not a pipe dream. But you need to look at watches more like looking at women, as Doc lined out a few posts before. That's the only attitude towards watches that will really break the pattern.
You need to commit to one (with all their good AND bad qualities), and then don't look back. You can look at other women and appreciate them. But that doesn't mean you need to have an affair with each of them, or leave your wife for any of them.
Same applies to watches - commit to one (the Tudor in your case), and stick to it. Treat every other shiny watch that catches your eyes, the same way you treat every beautiful woman that meets your eye. (Assuming you're not the kind that has a different affair every month).

In WUS watches are treated more like food. Eating the same meal every day is boring and unhealthy. A varied diet is key. But that's a metaphor that doesn't hold any water for watches..

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
The only reason I read other threads on WUS is for pure entertainment. It’s a lesson in psychology. You can easily see where you used to be and why as well as create a solid deterrent to going back.

Now don’t get me wrong, when you’re starting out in a hobby you’re learning. You may not be exactly sure what you are looking for and can be easily influenced by the constant barrage of BS. Eventually though, we should be able to settle in with our collection and be happy with our choices. Constant buying and flipping is a signal of a much larger problem.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
This forum can definitely add to the problem. It’s not like a forum where you discuss an art, piece of entertainment, or a sport; it’s practically all about purchasing watches.
But then you also get really interesting discussions like in here which make it much more interesting.

Eventually though, we should be able to settle in with our collection and be happy with our choices. Constant buying and flipping is a signal of a much larger problem.

How long would you say is reasonable to go from a hungry WUS newby to settling with your collection?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
This forum can definitely add to the problem. It’s not like a forum where you discuss an art, piece of entertainment, or a sport; it’s practically all about purchasing watches.
But then you also get really interesting discussions like in here which make it much more interesting.

How long would you say is reasonable to go from a hungry WUS newby to settling with your collection?
That probably depends on what you’re looking to achieve and where you’re located.
The Internet makes it easier to purchase things like watches but lacks the ability to try them on. This may affect certain decisions that could lead someone to find out a watch they thought they would like doesn’t quite meet expectations. Being able to go to an AD to try it on might alleviate that.
I’m a rather simple person so was never looking for the “perfect” collection, just what I was comfortable with.
The important thing is we’re all different and shouldn’t let the vast internet community determine our decisions. Having a plan and knowing what fits you best is key.

Reactions: Trias

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I'm about 4 months short of 3 years, and I think that's about it. Did the frantic flipping thing to find out what I like, characteristics of fit and design which constitute "keepers."

Just getting over a modding phase, largely Seiko and Vostok, and a(nother) purge of the resultant deadwood.

So I'm sitting on a sizable "watch fund," and... happy to stay put for the moment.

5841 - 5860 of 6470 Posts