WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

5861 - 5880 of 6470 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
It would be fun for each of us to pick a watch we currently own and tell why we LOVE it. It could help to emphasize the fact that, while we each have different likes, we can support each other to not need anything more.

I’ll start and see if anyone else wants to jump in.

This is my Archimede Outdoor Protect. My “everyday” watch.
I like it because it fits my lifestyle. I’m generally in relaxed dress, khakis, jeans, etc. and like to be outdoors working in the yard or even hiking. This watch is easy to read in the light or dark. It’s tough and can take being banged around a bit. The bracelet is comfortable and there are no sharp edges. I also like smaller watches so at 38.5mm it’s the perfect size for me.
I don’t see a reason to look for anything else to fit my daily needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hello. My name is Spartan and I'm an unwilling participant in the Watch Abstinence Club. It's been 1.5 years since I bought a watch and now, I'm socially dysfunctional. I stay 6 feet away from other humans and wear a mask so no one can see my shame.

Please help me with a watch donation.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Hello. My name is Spartan and I'm an unwilling participant in the Watch Abstinence Club. It's been 1.5 years since I bought a watch and now, I'm socially dysfunctional. I stay 6 feet away from other humans and wear a mask so no one can see my shame.

Right, so you need help deciding whom you are going to donate a watch to?

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,864 ·

Blimey Spartans, if 1.5 years of abstinence has made things easier and cured you then you need more drastic measures. Stay away from WUS.....

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Re: Forums

Honestly, I mainly just check in here. If I have some spare time and need to waste it, then I may see if another thread catches my eye. But I avoid the WRUW threads. The ones that seem a bit silly to me now are ones like "I need to fill this random, made-up category in my collection, help me!" or "I bought this watch which was really expensive for me, and now I need an even more expensive one because I'm no longer happy with it."

Like, there's just so many rationalizations out there that we tell to ourselves in order for our behavior to make sense. Either just say you want to buy X watch because you want to, or acknowledge that if you need to make up reasons like this then you probably need to reevaluate your life.

I think it helps to maintain a certain distance. Keep in mind how ridiculous we all probably seem to any normal person. And laugh at yourself. It's healthy.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
It would be fun for each of us to pick a watch we currently own and tell why we LOVE it. It could help to emphasize the fact that, while we each have different likes, we can support each other to not need anything more.

I like it because it fits my lifestyle. I’m generally in relaxed dress, khakis, jeans, etc. and like to be outdoors working in the yard or even hiking. This watch is easy to read in the light or dark. It’s tough and can take being banged around a bit. The bracelet is comfortable and there are no sharp edges. I also like smaller watches so at 38.5mm it’s the perfect size for me.

Well let's give that a go - my Vostok Komandirskie:

IMG_20210509_121604.jpg

It's really a culmination of everything that I have looked for in a watch since the start.

The domed acrylic - this is something I absolutely love, since I first saw a Panerai. I have been trying to find a nice domed acrylic look since I started this hobby. Its why I also started out with vintage Russians - it was the cheapest way to get a domed acrylic.

The moddability - which meant I could choose my dial and bezel exactly according to my taste, and makes it uniquely my own watch.

The 12h bezel, which is simply perfect for my use.

The fully numbered dial. I didn't think it mattered much when I first started out, but with time I have noticed that this simply makes a watch that much more easy to read at a glance. Its become something I really enjoy on any watch.

The way the silver numerals pop when the light is right - something I didn't expect before I got it in hand, but its a really great surprise.

The way the numerals on the bezel and dial exactly match in their grey tone and silver shine.

The polish of the case. Can't help it, but I just like them shiny. The dimples in the lugs are actually great at showing off that polish as well, without being flashy.

Its super versatile. Subtle enough for the office, and casual enough for the weekends - just a swap of strap makes it work with anything.

The size is absolutely perfect for my wrist. The 40mm dia + short L2L and thin profile just zings in perfect balance with my wrist and my sense of what is appropriate.

Its got character and history without being pretentious. And to boot its super affordable.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Found an interesting thread on the suggested page :

The author asks WUS people what their final purchase will be ; and then presents a nice, expensive unit he aims to purchase as a final conclusion to his collection. Blessed ignorance, or wisdom start ? 👆

Functional and legible. Not a fan of the rectangular aspect of the markers/hands for my part, but I must say it's nice to see watches designed in such a sensible way.

The fully numbered dial. I didn't think it mattered much when I first started out, but with time I have noticed that this simply makes a watch that much more easy to read at a glance. Its become something I really enjoy on any watch.
It's quite important to me as well, not so much about the minutes but about the hours. It really increases the speed of read. I've been able to use watches without for aesthetic purposes though, but if I have a choice over an acquisition it's definitely an advantage.

The irritation gets real when there's not only no numbers, but also no lines as minutes markers. The watch minutes hand can then only be set precisely on multiples of five... and this feels quite litterally like a loss of time to me. 🤨

·
Registered
15,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,868 ·
OK fellow WPAC brethren I don't think that WPAC is working for me very well at the moment, my discipline is not strong and I feel that I'm falling into old and bad habits. I think that I need a break from WUS and all horological sh*t to get my head sorted out. Partly this is a reflection of what's going on in my professional life; I've changed jobs (to get out of the Covid-19 affected side of the company) and I'm not very engaged with what I'm doing and feel like I'm languishing. After 15 years of working in a particularly field and then swapping it's been difficult to find any satisfaction. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be feeling changed as I'm making a sideways move back into the same engineering discipline and that should hopefully suit me better……

…….1st World problem really, I've got a very well paid job, a beautiful family and my health, so shouldn't be moaning, but I'm struggling with this unfortunately.

As well I am feeling very guilty. I've been talking the talk but not walking the walk here. The guilt is not for what I have done, but for having not shared this with all of you. To be truthful it would not have made any difference, sharing, because I know my own mind and this would not have gone any differently, it would have been likely to simply stretch it out……

Despite telling myself that I was comfortable with owning and wearing the Tudor BB58 the reality was that I wasn't, at all. It's not that I couldn't afford it financially, not that at all. I still have a massive mental barrier to owning and wearing one watch costing that much. As well there is another element, which is that I've never discussed with the wife how much my watches have cost and actually she's never asked. Kinda like an unspoken agreement of ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies. However, I have been putting myself in her place and wondering what her reaction would be to the price of the Tudor; I'm very sure that she'd be upset and probably annoyed at me spending that much money on a watch. We've never talked about it because the unwritten/unspoken rule is that we trust each other to spend reasonably and I think that spending on Tudor doesn't fit in to reasonable spending really. This unspoken lie doesn't sit comfortably with me. At all……

So, the Tudor has been sold, the Citizen as well (missing a bezel for timing things….). Already I feel more comfortable with this, being able to wear something without any feelings of guilt. So, the money from the Tudor and what was remaining in my watch fund has gone as a large mortgage overpayment.

Interesting to reflect on the recent conversations in here about desensitisation to prices and how owning a luxury watch becomes normalised. I've certainly fallen prey to this but now I've woken up to this.

I'm going to take a bit of a break from WUS now, I need it and I'm not exactly being a good role model at the moment, so for the best…..

….keep up the good work folks. I'll be checking in occasionally. And I'll be back properly when I've sorted myself out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
OK fellow WPAC brethren I don't think that WPAC is working for me very well at the moment, my discipline is not strong and I feel that I'm falling into old and bad habits. I think that I need a break from WUS and all horological sh*t to get my head sorted out. Partly this is a reflection of what's going on in my professional life; I've changed jobs (to get out of the Covid-19 affected side of the company) and I'm not very engaged with what I'm doing and feel like I'm languishing. After 15 years of working in a particularly field and then swapping it's been difficult to find any satisfaction. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be feeling changed as I'm making a sideways move back into the same engineering discipline and that should hopefully suit me better……

…….1st World problem really, I've got a very well paid job, a beautiful family and my health, so shouldn't be moaning, but I'm struggling with this unfortunately.

As well I am feeling very guilty. I've been talking the talk but not walking the walk here. The guilt is not for what I have done, but for having not shared this with all of you. To be truthful it would not have made any difference, sharing, because I know my own mind and this would not have gone any differently, it would have been likely to simply stretch it out……

Despite telling myself that I was comfortable with owning and wearing the Tudor BB58 the reality was that I wasn't, at all. It's not that I couldn't afford it financially, not that at all. I still have a massive mental barrier to owning and wearing one watch costing that much. As well there is another element, which is that I've never discussed with the wife how much my watches have cost and actually she's never asked. Kinda like an unspoken agreement of ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies. However, I have been putting myself in her place and wondering what her reaction would be to the price of the Tudor; I'm very sure that she'd be upset and probably annoyed at me spending that much money on a watch. We've never talked about it because the unwritten/unspoken rule is that we trust each other to spend reasonably and I think that spending on Tudor doesn't fit in to reasonable spending really. This unspoken lie doesn't sit comfortably with me. At all……

So, the Tudor has been sold, the Citizen as well (missing a bezel for timing things….). Already I feel more comfortable with this, being able to wear something without any feelings of guilt. So, the money from the Tudor and what was remaining in my watch fund has gone as a large mortgage overpayment.

Interesting to reflect on the recent conversations in here about desensitisation to prices and how owning a luxury watch becomes normalised. I've certainly fallen prey to this but now I've woken up to this.

I'm going to take a bit of a break from WUS now, I need it and I'm not exactly being a good role model at the moment, so for the best…..

….keep up the good work folks. I'll be checking in occasionally. And I'll be back properly when I've sorted myself out.
That makes a lot of sense, since your last posts seemed to implied some doubts about your watches ; and you didn't answer the one where I mentioned your collection. I thought that might've been because of me being somewhat pretentious (I've been in the past), but you were in fact troubled. Wimads had sensed this as well I think.

It seems our discussion about watches prices also makes sense : don't buy a watch you're not comfortable wearing. It seems this applies in fact even more the smaller your collection is, as the mental barrier will then reduce more strongly the amount of watches available in practice.

I known I've only been here for a handful of months, Hornet ; but if it helps, I'd like to highlight that the WPAC community helped me put a bit of sense and order in my own addiction. As a new collector, my own compromise is a bit different than the hardcore WPAC rules ; but I am enjoying the walk instead of unknowingly being toyed by it. The WPAC philosophy and exchanges made a big part of that difference. And you've been an essential pillar of that community.

Simply put ; notwithstanding your current doubts, you've helped us.

So I'd like to thank you for what you've done. And even if you only pass by there every couple of weeks (which is also what some of us do, myself included) ; I'm sure everyone will be happy to salute and discuss with you when you do.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

I give you a lot of credit Hornet. The first step is admitting something is an issue and you’ve done it! The second step is making a commitment to fixing the issue and you’ve done that! Now, it’s maintaining that commitment and stepping back to reflect is an excellent move.

None of us are perfect and our journey is a personal one. I’m sure you are doing what is best and we’ll be here when you come back.

Live in the moment.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Good luck mate, I think you're obviously doing the right thing for your self, your conscience, wallet, and family. So good on you 👍

I'm astonished you've mediated here for so long, that's a full time job in itself. Something we're all grateful for. No one is perfect but you've been our shinning light.

I was told I might as well smoke crack as it'd be cheaper than collecting watches. That was in 2017, so I promised not to buy a watch for a year.
I did it, quite easily in the end, because I (mostly) stayed away from watch media. Plus I thoroughly enjoyed the watches I had. The person I promised is much happier about it now too.
That was when I learnt how brilliant it is to wear one watch for a few days at a time. How you learn to really appreciate them that way. Not changing everyday.

Good luck friend. Come back when perspective has been regained ☺

·
Registered
2,002 Posts

Commendable that you realised this and sold the BB58, well done!

Desensitisation is a big problem with going upmarket, I’ve noticed this too. What seems very special at first (due to the price) quickly turns into just another object that you use.

Hope a break will help you

·
Registered
8,168 Posts

Nothing to see here. Beaten up NY0040.

Good lume, day and date, tough as nails. I work in retail and drive bicycle to work and tbh don't take much care of my watches. So it has to take a beating. And it has to have day and day, since I work on weekends and don't have usuall Monday to Friday routine and also attended evening school. . It happens that I don't know what day in the week is and have no idea what my schedule is.

Other one is ordinary solar RC square

Fire and forget watch. You just put it on wrist and forget about it. I wear it in rotation with Citizen. When not, it sunbathes on window sill. Perfectly accurate due to RC, it even has built in auto tilt function connected to solar panels so it lights up dial only in lower light. Also, 5 alarms, countdown, chronograph, world time. If there is a perfect Gshock - there it is. For me this is pinnacle of classic Gshock watches.

Third one is some Jacques Lemans something I got for dimes somewhere. I think I payed 5$ for it, installed new battery and Hirsch leather strap I had laying around and voila - dressier watch... No second hand, sapphire, Swiss movement inside and small, around 40 mm LTL and 32 mm wide and thin. For occasions where there is no excuse for diver or G-Shock.

And fourth one is Alba Riki Watanabe. Rare as hens teeth. Friend bought it in Japan and gave it to me. Seiko movement inside, kind of Japanese Bauhaus design. Late mr.Watanabe had minimalist approach to things, hands and dial look like they are made of paper. I do enjoy quirky design features, this one has tachy scale on the outside of the bezel. It's useless since the chrono module ticks in one second intervals and 1/10 second is on subdial but it's the "how did they come up with this?" that counts.

For causal sport something something.

This is actually a SOTC post. At the moment. I learned to enjoy cheap watches. I have owned watches that cost much, much more and bunch of vintage watches and bunch of ... Well. .. almost all that a normal WIS could wear. From Chinese Alix specials to Rolex. In the end of the day, it tells you time and you are glad you have it. It's just a mental exercise in what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If I had to give all my watches but one. It would be the Citizen Skyhawk that I keep. Fancy enough for dress and tough enough for everyday use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
403 Posts
To me this “hobby” seems more and more like a pointless and never ending ratrace which is one of the reasons i downsized.
I’m happy with where I’m at right now and I’m seriously thinking of calling it a day when it comes to buying. 😇

·
Registered
1,583 Posts

Good on you dude for working through that and taking care of what needs to be done. (y)

To me this “hobby” seems more and more like a pointless and never ending ratrace which is one of the reasons i downsized.
I’m happy with where I’m at right now and I’m seriously thinking of calling it a day when it comes to buying. 😇
I think that hits the nail on the head. "Rat race." Or, "keeping up with the Joneses." I've never felt the need to do this, so why with watches?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts

Good one Hornet. If I'm honest I kind of saw that coming from the moment you bought the blackbay.. didn't say anything because there was that bet going on with USC that seemed like a good thing. But ya, you sold the Pelagos for very similar reasons, and I didn't see how the BB would be any different (which now it seems it indeed wasn't). And there was the MM300.. different brand, same justifications, same result...

Its also very recognizable. I also did go upmarket to a point where I really wasn't very comfortable (which is what in the first place prompted me to join WPAC), falsely thinking that it would give me more enjoyment. I've now gone all the way back down market with the Vostok, and I'm very happy and comfortable there. I honestly don't feel like I'm compromising on anything that matters to me as compared to more expensive pieces.
Spending more money on a watch buys you lot of things, but a cure to the madness isn't one of them.

You gotta find your own comfort zone. And for god's sake don't keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again... I mean you repeat bought a bunch of Steinhardts, a bunch of Helsons, now a Tudor.... There's your real problem.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Best of luck H, see you down the trail.

5861 - 5880 of 6470 Posts