WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
6,101 - 6,120 of 9,034 Posts
There's a new Black Bay that Tudor have apparently been teasing for... a couple of weeks? In a move that will surprise no one, it was a Black Bay. Apparently the only watch Tudor knows how to make anymore. Black ceramic, even thicker than before, but with a METAS movement. So I guess that's something, even though no one will notice the difference in real life.
I know they've released a whole bunch in unusual metals and alloys recently. So the more the merrier, I'm not surprised.
Isn't METAS a proprietary Omega certification only?

I know they've released a whole bunch in unusual metals and alloys recently. So the more the merrier, I'm not surprised.
Isn't METAS a proprietary Omega certification only?
I think METAS was set up with Omega but is semi-independent or something.
And I guess I'm just tired of endless iterations of the same watch, but I don't have to buy it either.

Reactions: catsteeth
2020 was a miserable failure, in that I ended up with many more watches than I started. Progress was made, however because it was not a binge-purge cycle, more accumulating watches I really appreciate, or with an eye toward flipping for profit. And future mod projects...

So here they are:
Current rotation
View attachment 15621869
Note that of these 15, 5 are stock, the rest are modded, more or less.

Then there's these guys
View attachment 15621871
2 for flipping, two also-rans. Other than the Armitron Ridgemont ana-digi, these are fated to go.

Others
View attachment 15621872
Top row, with the exception of the women's Wittenauer, are keepsakes. The Komandirskie on the right is currently up for sale. And the rest are mod fodder.

Not pictured:
Seiko SCFF007 out for service
Zelos Blacktip Crimson dial preordered to flip.

Dang. 37 watches. Hoo-eee. More than I thought. But fit and style of the main 15 are spot-on for my tastes, with more mods planned.

Laying them out like this, I'm tempted to sell off a good 10 or so and part out some mod projects.

Goals, 2021:
One planned purchase, an Atticus Teleios.
Two potential builds as part of an online watchmaking course.
Cut net total of watches by at least a dozen - two might be stretching it, but we'll see.
Save money and potentially plot a Big Purchase in 2022.
Q2 update:

Current wear rotation

Non-rotation collection.

So I accidentally miscounted, I think there were 40 watches mentioned, start of the year. 7 keepsakes, so 33 in the wearable collection.

Canceled an order but picked up a different new release - Traska Commuter. Flipped a couple. Sold a bunch, but purchased more than a few.

Net, down 6 watches to 27. There's 8 more that could go. Not as many as I'd hoped to sell, but for 6 I put up, there were no buyers at perfectly reasonable prices, so I'm happy to just sit on them for a bit.

Still need to get into watchmaking courses, but I fear that will be delayed until after Summer. I did a bunch of Vostok and Seiko mods, and I think I am done with that particular mania.

I don't do "grail," but if I had to point to a series of "exit watches" it would be, top pic, the big numbers Seiko mod, King Seiko 4502-7000, SNKL41, and the Traska Commuter.

I still like having a bunch of watches kicking around, with some entering and leaving regular rotation every now and then.

My goal has not really changed, but I'm swearing off the buying part, will be aiming to get the extended collection below 20 this year.

Q2 update:

Current wear rotation
View attachment 15902880

Non-rotation collection.
View attachment 15902881

So I accidentally miscounted, I think there were 40 watches mentioned, start of the year. 7 keepsakes, so 33 in the wearable collection.

Canceled an order but picked up a different new release - Traska Commuter. Flipped a couple. Sold a bunch, but purchased more than a few.

Net, down 6 watches to 27. There's 8 more that could go. Not as many as I'd hoped to sell, but for 6 I put up, there were no buyers at perfectly reasonable prices, so I'm happy to just sit on them for a bit.

Still need to get into watchmaking courses, but I fear that will be delayed until after Summer. I did a bunch of Vostok and Seiko mods, and I think I am done with that particular mania.

I don't do "grail," but if I had to point to a series of "exit watches" it would be, top pic, the big numbers Seiko mod, King Seiko 4502-7000, SNKL41, and the Traska Commuter.

I still like having a bunch of watches kicking around, with some entering and leaving regular rotation every now and then.

My goal has not really changed, but I'm swearing off the buying part, will be aiming to get the extended collection below 20 this year.
What happened to your Glycine Combat 6?

edit: Just seen it in the first pic - I guess you just sold it :)

What happened to your Glycine Combat 6?

edit: Just seen it in the first pic - I guess you just sold it :)
Aye, that was a tough one one to let go. Same with the Archimede.

Interesting to see - of that original 15, 7 were sold, 3 were further modded, and basically only two made the transition to still being in current rotation - the NTH and San Martin.

Q2 update:

Current wear rotation
View attachment 15902880

Non-rotation collection.
View attachment 15902881

Observation: all your colorful watches are in the non-rotation section. Draw your own conclusions 😛

Observation: all your colorful watches are in the non-rotation section. Draw your own conclusions 😛
Well... the KS is a champagne color, and the Traska is green. The orange watch and red cocktail time won't be going anywhere, and will see occasional use. But yes, if I ever got down to one or two, it appears at least one of them would be a black dial...

Great point, Wim.

Well... the KS is a champagne color, and the Traska is green. The orange watch and red cocktail time won't be going anywhere, and will see occasional use. But yes, if I ever got down to one or two, it appears at least one of them would be a black dial...
I don't count the KS as colorful, its about as neutral as a silver dial. The Traska is the exception, but even that is a pretty muted green.

Just saying, if you're tempted by the next blue/red/orange/yellow/etc. watch, its probably something that ends up in the non-rotation box after the honeymoon is over.

It was similar for me. I used to make a point of having a different color for each watch in my collection. Once I started culling, I was left only with the neutral colors - which were apparently the ones I was wearing most. Which I hadn't realized before. I liked the colors, just wouldn't wear them.

I don't count the KS as colorful, its about as neutral as a silver dial. The Traska is the exception, but even that is a pretty muted green.

Just saying, if you're tempted by the next blue/red/orange/yellow/etc. watch, its probably something that ends up in the non-rotation box after the honeymoon is over.

It was similar for me. I used to make a point of having a different color for each watch in my collection. Once I started culling, I was left only with the neutral colors - which were apparently the ones I was wearing most. Which I hadn't realized before. I liked the colors, just wouldn't wear them.
I've bought two blue watches which have underwhelmed in the flesh. Remember that I got here before I became a serial flipper and that's about a quarter of all the watches I've bought.

I do wonder whether colours, particularly blues, that are designed pop under the lights of an AD or photographer's studio will tend to disappoint in daylight.

I've bought two blue watches which have underwhelmed in the flesh. Remember that I got here before I became a serial flipper and that's about a quarter of all the watches I've bought.

I do wonder whether colours, particularly blues, that are designed pop under the lights of an AD or photographer's studio will tend to disappoint in daylight.
Not necessarily. Its just a personal thing. I do like the colorful ones, just don't tend to wear them.

But its true that some dials pop only in specific lighting conditions - especially sunburst colors. Its why one should never go by the professional pictures when judging a watch, but look for medium crappy customer pictures and videos that don't always show the watch from the best angle or lighting conditions - or of course handle the watch in person if its possible.

Anyone here read any good books, fiction or otherwise, lately?

So... you're saying that I don't need a purple watch, to complete the rainbow...?

Anyone here read any good books, fiction or otherwise, lately?
I'm not going to call them "good," as in quality literature, but good in a trashy, beach-reading kind of way...

The Destroyer series by Murphy and Sapir. Ostensibly a pulp men's adventure series, this one has a sense of humor and has been published continuously since the early 70s. I think the series is up.into the mid-100s now?

Judge Dee mystery series by Robert van Gulik. Set in 630-700ce China, it involves a magistrate, Dee, solving murders and such. I don't read much mystery, but the stories seem pretty typical, even rote - the real interest stems from the author's authentic historical depiction of ancient Chinese custom and culture.

Neither of these are deep reading, you can get through books in a day or two, but fun, light summer reads, and cheap to pick up, used.

I like detective stories for exactly that reason, the placing of events in a certain time and place while having an interesting narrative. Whether they are an accurate depiction doesn't really matter as I haven't got the knowledge to contradict them.

James Lee Burke - Deep South
Elmore Leonard - Florida/Detroit
George Pelecanos - Washington
James Ellroy/Michael Connolly - LA

Alexander McCall Smith - Botswana

Ian Rankin - Edinburgh
Stephen Booth - Peak District

Michael Dibdin - Italy
Henning Mankell - Sweden
Fred Vargas - France

To name a few. Not all great books, but all illuminating in a way, the side of a place the tourist doesn't get to see or understand.

I love the Tudor BB red Bezel diver. When I tried one on in an AD, the colour was a washed out and underwhelming wishy-washy light red. Yet when I've seen them at work, they're a super attractive maroon-ish burgundy.
That was definitely because of the neon over-bright store lighting.

I really want either the Red Bezel, or Bronze Case Black Bay. I just love the design and how it wears.
However, I cant because I have three excellent divers covering all those bases already. An affordable, a non-affordable uber quality, and a bronzo'. To buy another diver would take up time from wearing the three that I already have and love.

6,101 - 6,120 of 9,034 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.