WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

6461 - 6470 of 6470 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
It's important to remember that WPAC bashing is not to be taken literally. It's our way of joking with each other to help with our mutual addiction.

If anyone feels like the bashing is too harsh, or if they feel that other WPAC members are being too direct in pointing out the rules, you might be taking us too seriously. Please remember that nobody here is angry at you for buying another watch. Bashing and rule reminding is just our way of encouraging each other and helping to put a check on our shared temptations.

Bashes do have a functional purpose, even if you are set on buying new watches. Aside from the funny parts, they really can show us negatives about a watch we may not have considered. This can help direct us to watches that may be longer term keepers and avoid a quick flip.

Everyone is completely free to buy however many watches they want. Tell us you fell off the wagon if you like (or don't). We try to discourage enabling here, because some WPAC members ARE struggling and want a refuge from the constant onslaught they get most other places on WUS (and other) forums.

We understand that everyone's goals here are different. Your goals may change during the year, and that's cool, too. The biggest reason we avoid mid-year rule changes is that the rules are really there as a guideline for each person to apply as they see fit to their own situation. If someone says, "You bought a watch - which one are you going to sell now?", they aren't implying your membership is at risk if you don't sell. It's not a threat - merely a reminder to keep your watch buying in check.

If you don't want to sell a watch, don't sell. Ignore the member's comment. We aren't going to track you all over the forum and demand obedience to the WPAC rules 😁 Have fun and enjoy the fellowship and spirit of WPAC. We are in this together.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm sorry but i broke down and commited a grevious sin. I bought a watch.

I had nightmares of a squirrel wearing a Timex hunting for nuts....and too often i woke up with both hands protecting mine.

Worse, for 1.5 years i found myself being totally anti-social by keeping away 6 feet from other humans and wearing a mask to hide my shame.

No more. Forgive me for my sin.....

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm sorry but i broke down and commited a grevious sin. I bought a watch.

I had nightmares of a squirrel wearing a Timex hunting for nuts....and too often i woke up with both hands protecting mine.
Protecting your Timex or your nuts ?

Jokes aside, there seems to be quite some humor in your post, so it's hard to know the parts where you're serious or not. However, be reassured, the WPAC is a club, not a religion. So there's no confession nor penitence, and you won't even need to say a few prayers afterwards. It's also been quite some time since we last burned anyone.

However, if you've accumulated tons of watches in little time, feel like you want a more controlled approached towards watch purchases, or just want to discuss a bit ; then be welcomed. I'd recommend to take a look at the first post as well. :)

Otherwise, so long the squirrel isn't after your nuts anymore, then you should be fine. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
The "Grail Watch" is a myth. We all generally accept that. But it still persists with us. Why is that?

I think one reason is because, deep down, part of us wants to be a "One Watch Guy." I know I do.

20 years ago I was a one watch guy. At that time, it was a G-Shock. Then I wanted to copy Sean Connery and his James Bond. I gave away the G-Shock and bought a 5-digit Submariner. I was a one-watch guy with the Rolex and happy as a clam.

I sold the Rolex during a difficult financial period. After that, I used my cell phone to tell time. Then I found WUS. It has been wonderful and disastrous. However, the dream of returning to the one watch guy status remains.

I know it will never happen. WUS has shown me all the wonderful variety of watches. I went a little crazy, expanding my collection to more than 50, before I found WPAC. It's much more manageable now, but I still love the variety in my collection.

No matter how much I want to, I realize I will probably never go back to a single watch at least until I'm old and decrepit. However, the One Watch Guy dream still fuels my temptation, and perhaps yours as well.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
The "Grail Watch" is a myth. We all generally accept that. But it still persists with us. Why is that?

I think one reason is because, deep down, part of us wants to be a "One Watch Guy." I know I do.
It’s human nature to believe in things. A pill that will cure all ills, a god that will protect us, a watch that is “the one”. It’s part of what drives the obsession. Marketers know this. It’s appreciating what we already have, which is generally good enough, that breaks the insanity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Trias

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Let me take this opportunity to ask everyone to be careful not to conflate the concepts of the grail watch with that of the one watch or of an exit watch. One can have a grail watch, eventually buy it, and still want to continue collecting and/or wearing other watches.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
A watch each day of the week? I know whereof I speak. What's today's date just? 🤓

·
Registered
943 Posts
Kind of funny, I never have felt like being a one watch guy. I really like watches, and I like having a variety of things to wear and enjoy. When I get bored with watches I suppose I might divest myself of most or all of the collection but would probably still keep more than one.

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
Let me take this opportunity to ask everyone to be careful not to conflate the concepts of the grail watch with that of the one watch or of an exit watch. One can have a grail watch, eventually buy it, and still want to continue collecting and/or wearing other watches.
My point is that we are already doing that. Asking people not to conflate the terms they have been conflating for years seems doomed to failure. It's part of the addiction. We all voluntarily engage in a type of Orwellian doublethink.

We embrace the commonly held idea of a Grail Watch, which is that ultimate, difficult to obtain piece that will somehow satisfy some unquenched desire. And before anyone argues that the Grail definition is broader than that, I would remind you to recall the term Holy Grail. Once you finish that quest, you don't typically continue searching for other cool Holy Grails, because there aren't any. Redefining these terms is just rationalizing.

Once we receive the Grail, it does the trick for a short time. Soon, the newness wears off, and we are back to our addictive behavior, and the Grail Watch becomes nothing more than another piece in the collection. It never was a Grail, but we called it that and thought about it like that so we could justify buying another watch.

It's all part of being an addict.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I could be a 1-watch guy. But that would be a lie - Grampa's gold Longines isn't going anywhere, ever, so I would only ever be a 2-watch guy, at best.

A while back, I did a cursory search for cheap mechanical.watch and ended up with a Seiko SNK809, which I wore exclusively, for two years. But eventually, I was looking for something else, found WUS... and then too many watches.

At this point, knowing what I know? 2 watches is realistic, but I'd be more comfortable at 5.

Current favorite 5 clock in around $2800. A cheaper range of the same 5, which fill the same slots/categories, was about $800. Of these, the "beater" San Martin bronze 6105 is common between the 2 sets.

"Grail" watches? Easily, I could drop $10k on three watches, keep 2 current watches (Vaer field watch, San Martin beater), and claim to be done.

But I don't see those three watches as any kind of goal. And if I did get them, I'm not sure I'd part with the ones they would ostensibly replace. If I can't really come to terms with selling my SNKL41 now that I have a Traska Commuter, would either of them leave if I picked up a Tudor BB36? Probably not...

6461 - 6470 of 6470 Posts