WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
6841 - 6860 of 7323 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Straphabit contest winner announced......

...and it was me....

"You were chosen as the winner of the Casio watch and $100 in straps!

I was excited to see that it was a regular customer that won.

Please let me know which color of Casioak that you'd like between black, green, blue or gray.

Then you can use the code xxxx to obtain a $100 credit towards any straps of your choice. I can ship the watch and straps together whenever you are ready to select them."
ODP_8868.jpg

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Well my caution about the watch I'd bought on eBay the other night. Turned out to have been correct. (It was a sterile dial Steinhart pilot).

Turns out it was non standard, most likely a limited edition. But as it was coming without boxes and papers it was impossible to tell. It could've been either: limited edition, one off by the OEM, a well done modification, or a franken watch with sh*t*y movement.

As I've already got one watch at the watchmaker where he's having trouble getting a part, because of duplicitous eBay sellers. I didn't want to take another risk.
As it happens the seller this time is a stand out, straight up, honest guy. As he hadn't even sent the watch, being the weekend, he just refunded the money.
Anyway, between us we're now trying to work out what it actually is. He might even be better off. For if it is a limited edition they can go for three to four times the price, according to the bay.

So I've learnt a lesson. I always new I was susceptible to rash watch purchases straight after waking in the morning. Well it seems I'm also susceptible at stupid early AM on these night shifts I'm now taking my turn on.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
So which color would you pick? I made my choice but thought it would be interesting to hear which watch is most popular here with the WPAC cognoscenti .

1 Black
2 Gray
3 Blue
4 Green

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
So which color would you pick? I made my choice but thought it would be interesting to hear which watch is most popular here with the WPAC cognoscenti .

1 Black
2 Gray
3 Blue
4 Green

View attachment 16033969
None myself, but of course you’re going to purchase multiple watches this year so, whatever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Lee_K

·
Registered
4,888 Posts

1 Black
2 Gray
3 Blue
4 Green

View attachment 16033969
Of them all I prefer the blue. But as I'm not the slightest bit interested in wearing a G-Shock, great watch though it is, it's entirely moot.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts

1 Black
2 Gray
3 Blue
4 Green

View attachment 16033969
I owned the blue version (bought to flip and made a little profit) and it was underwhelming irl. Not terrible but not what I thought it would be, pretty plain, illegible and sorta meh on the wrist. It’s a $100 G and that’s what it feels like.
I wouldn’t turn down a free one and would probably choose the black or green version but not be terribly excited about it. The straps might be a more interesting proposition.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
None!

This is WPAC, you know
Yes, I know and they are not something I would have bought.
None myself, but of course you’re going to purchase multiple watches this year so, whatever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
No more purchases this year...but this was a prize so.......

Of them all I prefer the blue. But as I'm not the slightest bit interested in wearing a G-Shock, great watch though it is, it's entirely moot.
I was not interested in wearing it either but it was a prize so I had to pick one.

I owned the blue version (bought to flip and made a little profit) and it was underwhelming irl. Not terrible but not what I thought it would be, pretty plain, illegible and sorta meh on the wrist. It’s a $100 G and that’s what it feels like.
I wouldn’t turn down a free one and would probably choose the black or green version but not be terribly excited about it. The straps might be a more interesting proposition.
At first I did turn it down and offered it to Nick as a reward but he was going to offer it to someone else which is what I can do as well so I decided to be a good winner and picked the grey because it was the only one with a regular digital display. As for the straps I chose to get a couple of BoR bracelets.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Yes, I know and they are not something I would have bought.

No more purchases this year...but this was a prize so.......

I was not interested in wearing it either but it was a prize so I had to pick one.

At first I did turn it down and offered it to Nick as a reward but he was going to offer it to someone else which is what I can do as well so I decided to be a good winner and picked the grey because it was the only one with a regular digital display. As for the straps I chose to get a couple of BoR bracelets.
Ahh, ok, I misunderstood.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Congrats on getting a bracelet that helps you enjoy your watch in a whole new way. It is amazing how much a good new strap or bracelet can revitalize a watch.

I just ordered a new bracelet for my Seiko Presage Mojito that I think will do the same for me. The Mojito came on a strap, and I don't love entry level Seiko bracelets, so I didn't bother getting an OEM version. The bracelet I ordered from Watch Gecko should make a big difference and allow me to enjoy this fun green watch during the hot months.
I have the Negroni, like it a lot... but maybe not the strap so much. What bracelet did you buy for the Mojito...?

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Checking in again. Haven't bought a watch since late May. I'd love to pick up a tan no date Marathon Navigator sometime- purchase is not imminent but feel free to bash it because we have seen like zero bashing for too long.
Actually doing a watch fast for the month of August- wearing just my Christopher Ward Trident 40mm. Love this watch already, and I'm guessing after a month it'll be even more firmly embedded in the collection as a mainstay. But we'll see!
Stay strong fellow WPACers. Remember the point of this group is to NOT. BUY. WATCHES.
Aight, so here's two watches to bash - the tan, no-date one for Cortman, the black one with date for me:

12hr bezel
Tritium
Battery hatch
Date window (black)
Sapphire crystal

Meh:
quartz
red second hand tip

Dislike:
Plastic case?!?
No idea how tight or loose the bezel might be
41 x 48 x 13 is a tad big, especially L2L and thickness (for quartz?!?)
I can get a "Time Arrow" with metal case, $100 for quartz, $250 for DG2183 auto, vs. this in black for $300.

The size kills it for me. But please bash the tan version for Cortman...

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I have the Negroni, like it a lot... but maybe not the strap so much. What bracelet did you buy for the Mojito...?
The Classic Kirkstead

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Aight, so here's two watches to bash - the tan, no-date one for Cortman, the black one with date for me:

View attachment 16035106

View attachment 16035108

12hr bezel
Tritium
Battery hatch
Date window (black)
Sapphire crystal

Meh:
quartz
red second hand tip

Dislike:
Plastic case?!?
I can get a "Time Arrow" with metal case, $100 for quartz, $250 for DG2183 auto, vs. this in black for $300.

The Marathons are about ~$300 off the top of my head, and an almost identical plastic quartz field watch from Bertucci is ~$70. (Figures from memory).

I'm with you I prefer the black. But aren't they a bit redundant? If you didn't have a watch and needed a tough analogue, then sure. But you've already got far more interesting field watches.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I love those propilots. I'm always looking at them on eBay and Chrono24.
Looks good on the bracelet. I've very much come round to non-fitted endlinks on bracelets. It's a little retro cool.
I have too and also the straight end links are much easier to install on and remove off the watch.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts

View attachment 16035106

View attachment 16035108

12hr bezel
Tritium
Battery hatch
Date window (black)
Sapphire crystal

Meh:
quartz
red second hand tip

Dislike:
Plastic case?!?

I’m generally a fan of Marathon and the Navigator/Type1 style in particular. I own the Time Arrow version and it’s nice enough for the dough (I offered $80 and it was accepted, iirc).

Something to consider is that Marathon is supposed to reintroduce their steel version in 2021, I thought we would have seen it by now but COVID likely has played a role in the delay?

If the Marathon is what I think it will be and not priced silly, I will probably be a buyer. I do like the design but don’t think the plastic version gets the dimensions or design right but it’s close. I’m going to wait for the reissue.

The Time Arrow I have

The original from Marathon.

6841 - 6860 of 7323 Posts