WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1161 - 1180 of 7469 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Also, if you are buying from a Mexican drug trafficking organization, they typically measure ounces at 25 grams, not 28. I got into a heated argument in the middle of an undercover narcotics deal over this exact quirk.
Damn aren't you afraid you'll get a ripdeal, where you just get shot and they take the money.

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
Damn aren't you afraid you'll get a ripdeal, where you just get shot and they take the money.
I'm always armed during deals, and I train a lot. Also, I do all transactions in public places. Never go inside the bad guy's house or any other area they control.

And have a backup team nearby.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I'm always armed during deals, and I train a lot. Also, I do all transactions in public places. Never go inside the bad guy's house or any other area they control.

And have a backup team nearby.
That sounds good. Damn I think my heart is too weak to do such things. It must be a crazy world that world.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Also, if you are buying from a Mexican drug trafficking organization, they typically measure ounces at 25 grams, not 28. I got into a heated argument in the middle of an undercover narcotics deal over this exact quirk.
LOL, did you bust Shorty Gonzalez?

Reactions: Szechuan

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Can you imagine all the watch manufacturers having fits if timekeeping suddenly changed? And all those collectors with their PP perpetual calendar complication watches, now even more obsolete than ever...?
Can you imagine Seiko having to align a chapter ring with 40 hour markings?

Sent from my AGS2-W09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Hi All,

I may be late to the party, but I decided to join the 2021 WPAC if you'll take me.

Below is a pic of the SOTC. I haven't bought or sold a watch in 2021. In order:

- Fortis B42 Official Cosmonauts' Titanium: It's the daily wearer, almost perfect for my taste. The ultimate tool-watch.

- Longines Hydroconquest: 41mm, ceramic, my formal watch, worn all too rarely.

- Seiko Samurai STO Great White Shark SE: my vacation watch, love the dial and the lume, it represents carefree times for me.

- Garmin Instinct Solar Tactical: highly customizable and functional great sports and even everyday watch.

- Casio G-Shock GW5000: versatile watch, mainly used for motorcycling as its indestructible and sleek, fits well under armored gloves. Solar/atomic, also used to set the mechanicals to the correct time.

- Casio G-Shock GW9400: my beater, love its quirks, the longest-serving watch in my collection.

The reason I decided to join are the following. Last year I sold quite a few of my more expensive watches, plus I decided not to buy a new bike, so I have a war chest (disposable budget) much bigger than usual. I visited the local Omega AD to check out the Planet Ocean 39.5mm which is a long-time favourite of mine. Man, what a watch, it's a must-have. I love Arabic numerals on the dial (see entries 1 and 2 above...), adored the movement, the size, hands and the overall quality. Clearly on another level than I'm accustomed to. I also plan to use it for decades to come as GADA. Didn't make a decision right there as I had second thoughts. I'm not necessarily of an age or height of my career or personal life where rocking such an obviously luxury watch is acceptable/desirable, even though it's well within my means.

So I also checked out other models like the Breitling Superocean and the Tudor Pelagos, went on thinking about selling the Longines and/or the Fortis - both of which I truly like - to make room and realized that this sh*t is not about the PO, its about wanting to buy a new piece of shiny stuff just for the sake of it, this time for more money. Hell no.

So I want to keep 2021 as a cool down. There should be plenty of "suitable" occassions to buy another watch this year - I expect a promotion in April, my 35th birthday will be in May and we plan to have our 4th and last child at the end of the year - but no, I want to stay strong. I'm perfectly happy with the state of the collection right now, don't want to keep on flipping without a real reason.

If in 2022 I still want the PO or any other luxury watch, I'll go for it as it's my right. But this cool-down should happen and I'm really happy to see that there are like-minded people on this great forum. I intend to participate as much as I can.

Cheers!
Miklós

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome, Miklós.
I've gotta say, as somebody who started wearing Rolex and Omega around the office before age 30, I've never found that many people to take notice of such things or ever mention anything about it. And in terms of personal life, well, strangers won't know and your friends know you well enough that it shouldn't matter, yeah?

THAT said, you're here now, and you're committed, so that PO will just have to wait until 2022 at the earliest. Here's to WPAC!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,174 ·
Hi All,

I may be late to the party, but I decided to join the 2021 WPAC if you'll take me.

Below is a pic of the SOTC. I haven't bought or sold a watch in 2021. In order:

- Fortis B42 Official Cosmonauts' Titanium: It's the daily wearer, almost perfect for my taste. The ultimate tool-watch.

- Longines Hydroconquest: 41mm, ceramic, my formal watch, worn all too rarely.

- Seiko Samurai STO Great White Shark SE: my vacation watch, love the dial and the lume, it represents carefree times for me.

- Garmin Instinct Solar Tactical: highly customizable and functional great sports and even everyday watch.

- Casio G-Shock GW5000: versatile watch, mainly used for motorcycling as its indestructible and sleek, fits well under armored gloves. Solar/atomic, also used to set the mechanicals to the correct time.

- Casio G-Shock GW9400: my beater, love its quirks, the longest-serving watch in my collection.

The reason I decided to join are the following. Last year I sold quite a few of my more expensive watches, plus I decided not to buy a new bike, so I have a war chest (disposable budget) much bigger than usual. I visited the local Omega AD to check out the Planet Ocean 39.5mm which is a long-time favourite of mine. Man, what a watch, it's a must-have. I love Arabic numerals on the dial (see entries 1 and 2 above...), adored the movement, the size, hands and the overall quality. Clearly on another level than I'm accustomed to. I also plan to use it for decades to come as GADA. Didn't make a decision right there as I had second thoughts. I'm not necessarily of an age or height of my career or personal life where rocking such an obviously luxury watch is acceptable/desirable, even though it's well within my means.

So I also checked out other models like the Breitling Superocean and the Tudor Pelagos, went on thinking about selling the Longines and/or the Fortis - both of which I truly like - to make room and realized that this sh*t is not about the PO, its about wanting to buy a new piece of shiny stuff just for the sake of it, this time for more money. Hell no.

So I want to keep 2021 as a cool down. There should be plenty of "suitable" occassions to buy another watch this year - I expect a promotion in April, my 35th birthday will be in May and we plan to have our 4th and last child at the end of the year - but no, I want to stay strong. I'm perfectly happy with the state of the collection right now, don't want to keep on flipping without a real reason.

If in 2022 I still want the PO or any other luxury watch, I'll go for it as it's my right. But this cool-down should happen and I'm really happy to see that there are like-minded people on this great forum. I intend to participate as much as I can.

Cheers!
Miklós
View attachment 15654264
Welcome to WPAC! Sounds like you've got a grip on the whole buying issue that we have. Now you just need to resist the urges......

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Welcome, Miklós.
I've gotta say, as somebody who started wearing Rolex and Omega around the office before age 30, I've never found that many people to take notice of such things or ever mention anything about it. And in terms of personal life, well, strangers won't know and your friends know you well enough that it shouldn't matter, yeah?

THAT said, you're here now, and you're committed, so that PO will just have to wait until 2022 at the earliest. Here's to WPAC!

Thank you for the welcome! Note that I'm in Hungary that is in Central-Eastern Europe. Here the public perception of such luxury items is a bit... different. From the US at least. That won't stop me though, in 2022 I'll be older and hopefully wiser :D

Tapatalkkal küldve az én SM-N975F eszközömről

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
Welcome, Miklós.

My experience has been the opposite, at least with Rolex. People commented on my Sub at least once a week. And for each person who comments on an watch, there are probably 10 more who notice and don't say anything. It's one of the reasons I sold my Rolex and probably will never buy another. I don't care for the attention they bring.

The good news is that no one has ever commented on my Omegas, Tudors, etc. My Oris 112 cost as much as a Rolex Explorer, but it flies completely under the radar. I love that about these non-R watches.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Interesting! The only time someone has ever commented on my Rolex was a gal at a shawarma shop.

I have had two coworkers comment on Omegas, though, one of which was a vintage Seamaster, so nothing flashy.

The only comment I've ever gotten from a friend was on a Citizen Eco Drive.

So that's four comments in the space of about four years of wearing nice watches. Maybe I'm in a bubble...

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
5 for 5 now that my final flip is completed the buy used and sell at auction with $1 starting bid has proved itself again with the Longines also selling for more than I paid for the watch, but this last time I did not offer free shipping but rather charged $20. That shipping charge did not seem to have a negative effect on the auction outcome but improved my bottom line.

So now my wristwatch reboot is finally complete and I can settle into my one watch daily winding routine. That is... I check the time, and if it is a few seconds slow, I wind, and if it is a few seconds fast, I don't wind. This is the best watch ownership experience I have had so far as it keeps me involved, informed and entertained on a daily basis. I could not ask for anything more from a watch.

·
Registered
15,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,179 ·
Interesting! The only time someone has ever commented on my Rolex was a gal at a shawarma shop.

I have had two coworkers comment on Omegas, though, one of which was a vintage Seamaster, so nothing flashy.

So that's four comments in the space of about four years of wearing nice watches. Maybe I'm in a bubble...

I've had very few comments on the watches I've owned, maybe one or two. People outside of the WUS bubble just don't care. At all.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts

I received quite a few comments on a Seiko Astron and Casio MRG-G1000B, both quite shiny watches.
Plus the mother-in-law snarkily remarking how huge the G-Shock Rangeman looks...

Tapatalkkal küldve az én SM-N975F eszközömről

1161 - 1180 of 7469 Posts