WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1201 - 1220 of 7480 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Well, some interesting observation I made in the past week.

I needed a new phone, because my previous 5y old one did no longer support certain apps. So I went into full obsession mode to figure out the best phone to buy.

Gotta say its been a while I went into that seriously obsessive compulsive mode. And I realized that that is what I used to do all the time for watches, on a regular basis. It's not a healthy mode - literally loosing sleep because obsessively researching till way beyond bed time.

I'm glad I'm no longer compulsively obsessing like that over pointless items like watches on a regular basis. Aside from the money that I drained into it (which was my original reason for joining WPAC), that mental resource drain of OCD was actually the real problem. And am glad to say that that's mostly under control now. I guess I sort of slipped with the obsessive phone research in that sense - but if that only happens for a necessary purchase incidentally, that is quite okay - rather than on a regular basis for pointless items like watches.

So guess I owe a little thanks to WPAC, you guys definitely helped in getting these obsessive compulsive issues somewhat under control, with watches as our common demeanor.
This. The hunt for something new often gets so intense that we lose a lot more - time, attention, sleep, opportunities - than we realize. When the hunt is successful the new thing makes it look like it was worth it, but really all that energy and effort is mostly just out the window.

So, gentlemen, let's not drool over those Citizen eco-drives. Nice watches but you need to be Ron Swanson to look cool rocking one.
(bit of a stretch, because I like Citizen and their solars)

Tapatalkkal küldve az én SM-N975F eszközömről

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts

I needed a new phone, because my previous 5y old one did no longer support certain apps. So I went into full obsession mode to figure out the best phone to buy.

Gotta say its been a while I went into that seriously obsessive compulsive mode. And I realized that that is what I used to do all the time for watches, on a regular basis. It's not a healthy mode - literally loosing sleep because obsessively researching till way beyond bed time.

I'm glad I'm no longer compulsively obsessing like that over pointless items like watches on a regular basis. Aside from the money that I drained into it (which was my original reason for joining WPAC), that mental resource drain of OCD was actually the real problem. And am glad to say that that's mostly under control now. I guess I sort of slipped with the obsessive phone research in that sense - but if that only happens for a necessary purchase incidentally, that is quite okay - rather than on a regular basis for pointless items like watches.

So guess I owe a little thanks to WPAC, you guys definitely helped in getting these obsessive compulsive issues somewhat under control, with watches as our common demeanor.
Well said, Wim.

I still remember losing sleep while obsessing over the next watch. Staying up late checking websites. Looking for the best bargain I could find on any Swiss made watch. It was definitely an addiction.

Regardless of my rather slow progress towards my ultimate goal in WPAC (smaller collection that is stable), detaching myself from that daily chase will always be a huge achievement. Thanks WPAC.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts

So guess I owe a little thanks to WPAC, you guys definitely helped in getting these obsessive compulsive issues somewhat under control, with watches as our common demeanor. 🤘
I think we've all been there!

Even the other day I went to sleep far too late because I was hunting the perfect strap for hours. But good that you acknowledge it, and sounds like you have it mostly under control.

It's what got me into this, at least. Realising the rabbit hole went quite deep and getting an endorphin rush when learning something new and feeling like you're getting closer and closer to wrist-perfection.

2021 I'm gonna buy a digital Casio with an Amazon voucher I got for Xmas and maybe some straps. But other than that I plan to close up shop.

·
Premium Member
6,545 Posts
My 2006 Citizen AV0031 cal 2100 chrono runs amazingly well and is very very accurate. It drifts maybe a few seconds per month, much better than my atomic G-Shock, funny enough. That one is only accurate for a few days after a sync, then it speeds up and gains probably 10 seconds per month.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
While apparently these are a dime a dozen in the UK, not for sale in the US market. Before Hornet announced his TWO purchases at the end if 2020, this one popped up in f29. At some point, I was considering paying a lot more than $500 for one, and when it showed up much cheaper... it falls into the "always wanted one, and it showed up." Right watch, right price, good financial timing... And it it wasn't this, it would have been the upcoming Momentum Atlas 38mm solar...

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
While apparently these are a dime a dozen in the UK, not for sale in the US market. Before Hornet announced his TWO purchases at the end if 2020, this one popped up in f29. At some point, I was considering paying a lot more than $500 for one, and when it showed up much cheaper... it falls into the "always wanted one, and it showed up." Right watch, right price, good financial timing... And it it wasn't this, it would have been the upcoming Momentum Atlas 38mm solar...

View attachment 15656527
So where does this fit into this:

Goals, 2021:
One planned purchase, an Atticus Teleios.
Two potential builds as part of an online watchmaking course.
Cut net total of watches by at least a dozen - two might be stretching it, but we'll see.
Save money and potentially plot a Big Purchase in 2022.
Are you even trying brother? At least should have put it up for bashing...

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
So where does this fit into this:

Are you even trying brother? At least should have put it up for bashing...
Well... it was posted in my SOTC pic at the end of last year.

Alas, if only Hornet had posted his for bashing, pre-purchase, it might have dissuaded me, or at least given me pause for being all matchy-matchy.

Not to mention, it is a watch Hornet bought, so it will probably lose money on resale. At least I bought used...

1201 - 1220 of 7480 Posts