WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1921 - 1940 of 4589 Posts

·
Registered
16,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,921 ·
Yes I do not really understand your reactions.

Buying inexpensive watches isn't a strain financially, but I have decided not to buy any more this year, and it will take something remarkable to make me buy.

However I am nevertheless interested in seeing your criticisms of potential purchases, and reasons not to buy particular watches, which I do take into account, seriously.

I can see that it would be quite hard to genuinely criticize that Invicta, given its similarity to the original Rolex submariner. That's probably the main criticism. It's not the Rolex. (And the pathological disdain for Invicta on WUS)
I think it would help if you specifically said that you wanted the watch based and that you weren't that serious about it as well.....

.....also why don't you try and bash them yourself?

Look at it from our perspective, it doesn't seem like you're making any effort to abstain and that gets frustrating.....

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Yes I do not really understand your reactions.

Buying inexpensive watches isn't a strain financially, but I have decided not to buy any more this year, and it will take something remarkable to make me buy.

However I am nevertheless interested in seeing your criticisms of potential purchases, and reasons not to buy particular watches, which I do take into account, seriously.

I can see that it would be quite hard to genuinely criticize that Invicta, given its similarity to the original Rolex submariner. That's probably the main criticism. It's not the Rolex. (And the pathological disdain for Invicta on WUS)
Okay, so what you're saying is you want to abstain, but you nevertheless want to hear criticism on the watches you are tempted by. There's no issue there whatsoever - its exactly what we do in WPAC.

But in your previous post, you were arguing you want to abstain, yet at the same time expressing you'd have no problem buying 2-3 watches. Thats just plain contradictory.

Also, whenever we tell you, it helps to stop looking at watches if you want to abstain, you respond like you don't want to abstain...

Basically your behavior - at least from our perspective - doesn't seem to stroke with your intention of abstinence, which is why we end up often pointing out your behavior instead of focusing on the watch.

But duly noted, I'll just focus on the watch in the future, and not try to follow your reasoning, which seems like I anyway won't be able to grasp :')

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I think it would help if you specifically said that you wanted the watch based and that you weren't that serious about it as well.....

.....also why don't you try and bash them yourself?

Look at it from our perspective, it doesn't seem like you're making any effort to abstain and that gets frustrating.....
OK. I see your point.

The truth is that I have the original 1953 Black bezel S/S. I have seen the black PVC version before, without it kindling an interest, but I thought the picture linked to in #1886 was pretty cool, and I could see a lot of enjoyment from the watch, for not much money, and it would be an easy buy.

Really you hardly bashed it at all, though @Weetabix humorously referred to a dazzle from a matte black watch? Now if you had all said "It's great, go for it", it would have been pretty much the same, because it does look good in that photo, but I'm not sure I need the same watch, just in a slightly different finish.

·
Registered
16,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,924 ·
OK. I see your point.

The truth is that I have the original 1953 Black bezel S/S. I have seen the black PVC version before, without it kindling an interest, but I thought the picture linked to in #1886 was pretty cool, and I could see a lot of enjoyment from the watch, for not much money, and it would be an easy buy.

Really you hardly bashed it at all, though @Weetabix humorously referred to a dazzle from a matte black watch? Now if you had all said "It's great, go for it", it would have been pretty much the same, because it does look good in that photo, but I'm not sure I need the same watch, just in a slightly different finish.
As Wimads said we're rather distracted by your contradictory behaviour rather than the actual watches and bashing those. The behaviour leads to us attempting to rectify a more pressing issue of the aforementioned behaviour.....

.....as for the watch, yes it is cheap and for an Invicta not bad looking, but you already have one of these so why buy another. Blacked out watches are sooo super cool looking, if you are a 5 year old; even a teenager would have the sense to steer well clear of one of these ugly things.....

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Okay, so what you're saying is you want to abstain, but you nevertheless want to hear criticism on the watches you are tempted by. There's no issue there whatsoever - its exactly what we do in WPAC.
But in your previous post, you were arguing you want to abstain, yet at the same time expressing you'd have no problem buying 2-3 watches. Thats just plain contradictory.
I was saying that financially a couple of affordables is neither here nor there. By affordables, I mean bottom end, 100 euros or less. I am sure if most of us wanted a casioak, we could just get one. 500 euros, not quite so much.

Also, whenever we tell you, it helps to stop looking at watches if you want to abstain, you respond like you don't want to abstain...
I enjoy looking. I get a lot of pleasure from watching Producer Michael, the Watchfinder Guy and Jody on JOMW. among many others. It's a hobby.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
A'ight, SOTC. As promised, here is SOTC for start of 2022, now that all the leftover 2021 shenanigans have been sorted.

Previous SOTC

Watch Analog watch Photograph Automotive tire White

Current frequent rotation, by column:

Sinn 656. On one hand, strong tendency to keep, on the other, when out of sight, maybe it could go.
Tudor BB36. Gift, awesome, def keeper. Culmination of WUS tendencies, to date. All the flipping led to this.
NTH Scorpene. Last microbrand standing, one of my first true WUS watches, too utilitarian and perfect to sell. Keeper.
Seiko 5 SNKL41. If this had been the first watch I bought, might have been only one. Keep.
Vostok Komandirskie 816 build. Mod, keep.
Vostok Amphibia 710 build. Mod, keep. These are the tail end of a Vostok modding spree and represent icons of what I built. Both are also my hand-winders, provide satisfaction in wear and use way outsize cost.
SNK807/SKX011 mod. Most favored mod status.
NTH Scorpene Blue mod. Perfect size for this type, blue, BSH provenance via hwa (builder), Twettham, 3WR, with Bertl strap.
Baltany/BSH applied index Sagerprojectwatch mod. Aka, The Beater. This one saw the most wear in 2021.
TC 55130 BSH Shenanigans build. BSH and WPAC are my 'hood threads where my homies hang. These are special...

Watch Photograph White Light Black

Other, by bloc:
Vintage gold Longines. Grampa's watch. Keeper above all others.
NTH Scorpene DLC and White. These are a conundrum. Bought for various reasons, just not seeing wear. Not sure if they will stick around.
Boldr Venture Sandstorm. Like it, but don't love it. Tried to sell, wasn't going anywhere at my floor price, so now it's back.
HMT Janata. Always wanted these, especially the one in sanskrit (Hindi?), but ebay is notorious for fakes and I finally found a legit Indian source. May stick around, may not. Great little watches, though. The one with the red second hand could easily have been The One, at the beginning...
Casio W-800. Only digital/quartz "Everone needs a Casio." Too cheap to get rid of...
Mods: Seiko SNKK CASE with Firefly dial. Watch and Style 6105 case with Seiko 5 dial. Riyi Explorer case with Tokeilab dial and hands, Lucius Atelier case with legit Seiko dial. I think most will stick around as basis for when any further need.to mod.arises... maybe the LA GS mod goes...

So: currently at 21. Stated goal was and remains less than 20 by end of year, with no further purchases, unless maybe a Big Purchase at end of year. Slight chance of being under 16, EOY.

·
Registered
16,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,928 ·
Frankly all that has been going down in Ukraine has diminished my interest in watches significantly. Other than monitoring couple of remaining listed items, can't say I do anything else watch related.
Yeah, in the face of Putin's madness watches do seem an irrelevance.....

·
Registered
16,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,929 ·
I was saying that financially a couple of affordables is neither here nor there. By affordables, I mean bottom end, 100 euros or less. I am sure if most of us wanted a casioak, we could just get one. 500 euros, not quite so much.

I enjoy looking. I get a lot of pleasure from watching Producer Michael, the Watchfinder Guy and Jody on JOMW. among many others. It's a hobby.
I'm going to call you the reincarnation of usclassic from now on.....

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Looking to me has become so boring. Most of the other threads on WUS are like watching commercials, they just repeat the same thing over and over again. All the watches, divers for instance, look the same. Very little creativity anymore. It takes a lot for something to catch my eye because the market is flooded with copies of copies. Honestly, if this thread didn’t exist I wouldn’t visit this site anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Now he’s put his nuclear forces on alert. I’m not sure how he gets out of the hole he’s dug for himself but he’s probably going to take a lot of people out with him.
I hope he is never allowed on the worldwide stage again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
OK. I see your point.

Maybe I saw the wrong link? Wasn't it all bedazzled with rhinestones and gold foil?

Ah. I reacted to the photo in your post, not the one at the link. The 1953s aren't bad. And being around 5 yo emotionally, I rather like black and white watches... and cats.

Does everyone else have 3 failed uploads on Tapatalk before a photo goes?

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Looking to me has become so boring. Most of the other threads on WUS are like watching commercials, they just repeat the same thing over and over again. All the watches, divers for instance, look the same. Very little creativity anymore. It takes a lot for something to catch my eye because the market is flooded with copies of copies. Honestly, if this thread didn’t exist I wouldn’t visit this site anymore.
So much this. The flip side/also a huge bummer: When I find something I actually like that has a little unique character, there is virtually no hands-on information on the internet. Want a thousand reviews of virtually identical divers or a hundred on a single watch that hits the magic algorithm tipping point? They're there for the binging. Want three reviews of something that doesn't? Good luck.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I feel the same, hence my disappearance since that day.

But at the same time it reinforced a belief I've had for a few years now (pretty much since I got my first salary). This world is going to ****. Between wars, climate change and corruption of seemingly everything, it's not going to get pretty. There's a lot of great things going on, but I feel the fundamentals are not there. And this was some of the thinking I had when buying the £3.5k Fears. Yes it's expensive. However it has no impact whatsoever on my financial stability, both short and long term (btw this is a great time to invest in the stock market yall). Am I going to just keep saving money for a future I'm not really feeling that optimistic about? What's the point? Of course I've not jumped from one end of the spectrum to the other, there's a balance, but amassing money for the sake of it is definitely not a goal of mine.

In summary, I've been living in the moment, as hippie/hipster ******** as it might sound. Channeling my inner Jim Carey and say YES! more frequently. Life is too short, and it might only get shorter... So we might as well enjoy ourselves in the meantime.

And no, no purchases here. But I'm warming up to the idea of that GS.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I feel the same, hence my disappearance since that day.

But at the same time it reinforced a belief I've had for a few years now (pretty much since I got my first salary). This world is going to ****. Between wars, climate change and corruption of seemingly everything, it's not going to get pretty. There's a lot of great things going on, but I feel the fundamentals are not there. And this was some of the thinking I had when buying the £3.5k Fears. Yes it's expensive. However it has no impact whatsoever on my financial stability, both short and long term (btw this is a great time to invest in the stock market yall). Am I going to just keep saving money for a future I'm not really feeling that optimistic about? What's the point? Of course I've not jumped from one end of the spectrum to the other, there's a balance, but amassing money for the sake of it is definitely not a goal of mine.

In summary, I've been living in the moment, as hippie/hipster **** as it might sound. Channeling my inner Jim Carey and say YES! more frequently. Life is too short, and it might only get shorter... So we might as well enjoy ourselves in the meantime.

And no, no purchases here. But I'm warming up to the idea of that GS.
I can certainly understand someone entertaining this outlook on the world. With everything that has happened in the last few years globally it can seem as though our best days are behind us.

Another way to look at it might be we are in the midst of change, which is always hard. You have to admit the way the free world is standing up together against this latest aggression does show signs of something positive. It won’t be easy but maybe we are beginning to see a consensus that our past practices didn’t bring us what we wanted. It’s encouraging to see young people standing up demanding we do things differently. That brings me hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I can certainly understand someone entertaining this outlook on the world. With everything that has happened in the last few years globally it can seem as though our best days are behind us.

Another way to look at it might be we are in the midst of change, which is always hard. You have to admit the way the free world is standing up together against this latest aggression does show signs of something positive. It won’t be easy but maybe we are beginning to see a consensus that our past practices didn’t bring us what we wanted. It’s encouraging to see young people standing up demanding we do things differently. That brings me hope.
Hundred times yes! I've been extremely surprised by how united and sensible the response has been. But my biggest mind blown moment was/is seeing how almost nobody blames this on Russia and its citizens. We know they don't want this, it's mostly the working of a single man. And that also gives me a sliver of hope, that the people as a whole are indeed decent, eventually the madmen at the top will fall, and there might just be an improvement.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Hundred times yes! I've been extremely surprised by how united and sensible the response has been. But my biggest mind blown moment was/is seeing how almost nobody blames this on Russia and its citizens. We know they don't want this, it's mostly the working of a single man. And that also gives me a sliver of hope, that the people as a whole are indeed decent, eventually the madmen at the top will fall, and there might just be an improvement.
I do have small hopes that all this will in due time lead to the collapse of Putin's reign. All we can hope for is that he won't drag down too many with him, and doesn't utilize that red button in the mean time ☢ (or that there's enough sane people in the command chain to stop such an order from being carried out..).

·
Registered
4,580 Posts

I thought this was sensible idea (its in Dutch, but shouldn't be a problem for google translate). Basically a call to support independent Ukrainian and Russian media, as a small thing anyone can do to help combat the information war.

1921 - 1940 of 4589 Posts