WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The 2022 Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club (WPAC).

330K views 7K replies 157 participants last post by  bth1234 
#1 · (Edited)
The 2022 Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club (WPAC).

Welcome to the 2022 Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club, otherwise known as WPAC. This is the 6th year of WPAC, which was started at the beginning of 2017 to try and get myself and some other addicts out of a crazy buying/flipping cycle with watches, we were buying for the sake of it rather than for the appreciation of the watch itself, constantly chasing the next, new shiny watch or searching endlessly, fixated on some watch; generally, IMHO, a rather unhealthy behaviour.

So, what is the point of WPAC? Well, the aim is to abstain from purchasing watches. But that's a bit blunt really, the abstinence is a tool or a method to break the cycle of buying/flipping and become a discerning consumer of horology. Learning to appreciate what you have, understand what works for you with watches and think rationally about purchases, rather than emotionally. Or the ethos of less is more, as some have suggested the philosophy is here. Yes we still love watches, but as we all know we can be weak, so WPAC is a place to get help; here you can take solace from like minded people and get support and encouragement to stop impulse buying.

With those that stick around and make some commitment WPAC has been successful; for me it's certainly helped me break the buy/flip cycle and stop obsessing, so maybe it can help you.

In previous years we've had some rules, but this year there aren't going to be, there seems little point when we all have subtly (sometimes massively) different goals. If you are in serious horological trouble with buying then look back at the OP in previous WPAC threads, the rules should be a useful starting point if you want to get things under control or just shout out here to get some advice, it's what we're good at. Think of it like a clubhouse or a WUS subforum dedicated to being friendly, chatting about everything and anything and where you can find like minded watch fans.

Having said that, there is one rule I'd like everyone to adhere to; first post should be an intro with a SOTC picture (include everything, don't cheat) and some goals/aims for 2022. Whether you want to abstain completely, want to save for a special watch, just need to take control, slow things down or whatever, we'll be happy to have everyone. Just as long as you're clear on what your aims are.

Please participate in the thread, it's what makes it what it is. Any reasonable topic of conversation is acceptable and in fact welcomed.

Bashing of any potential purchases should still be a mandatory element, but let's keep it funny. Nuclear level bashing is required for any actual purchases.
Expect to be challenged by others if you're suggesting a purchase, whatever your personal goals/aims and expect to need to defend yourself.

.....and one last thing, we do occasionally get some trolls visiting, let's agree to not feed them.

Edit - clarification on enabling: this is a difficult one to deal with as WPAC has evolved such that we discuss watches, post pictures, etc., previously we tried not doing that but it didn't really work and as well despite the temptation provided by this individuals need to develop the control to not be tempted every 5 minutes by something. However, this year we seem to have a mixture of regulars and new participants, and some the latter are wanting to abstain. Hence please don't directly enable by suggesting watches......

See less See more
#2 ·
OK, so my first post is a SOTC and setting out my aims/goals for 2022. SOTC is as follows:
  • Eterna dress watch
  • Helson shark diver 38mm Titanium
  • Tissot Heritage banana
  • Squale 30 Atmos 40mm GMT Pepsi
Unfortunately I can't do a "family" pic as they are all. Currently boxed up as they are all for sale, apart from the Eterna. None are being worn currently. Fitbit is currently doing duty on the wrist......

Odd situation for me to be in really, not having a watch to wear, and as well, as much as I like my Fitbit, I miss wearing a mechanical, proper watch. I've always worn one and it feels odd to not be wearing one. Having said that, it has been liberating to not have a watch to wear and the longer I go without one the less strange it is.......

So my intentions for 2022 is to buy a Tudor black bay 58 and I'll be generating the majority of the funds from sales of the watches mentioned above (and the ones I've sold already). This will be the only purchase of 2022, there will be no other watches in my collection. The Fitbit will act as a beater if required and the Tudor will be the daily watch, in fact the watch for everything. And that's it.

There's been the mental roadblock with the Tudor, as discussed ad nauseam on here and whilst I've been back and forth on this in my head it'll always be a mental struggle. I'm currently happy justifying it via the fact that I'll generate the majority of the funds from watch sales. And that buying (and keeping this watch….) this watch will satisfy me and I'll have a keeper…..

.......however, the BB58 isn't a done deal. I'm still not a 100% sold on needing it and in no hurry to buy. So I'll see how it goes.

I think that I'll spend less time generally on WUS, apart from WPAC, and watch sites.

#3 ·
OK, like my Fitbit, I miss wearing a mechanical, proper watch. I've always worn one and it feels odd to not be wearing one. Having said that, it has been liberating to not have a watch to wear and the longer I go without one the less strange it is.......

So my intentions for 2022 is to buy a Tudor black bay 58 and I'll be generating the majority of the funds from sales of the watches mentioned above (and the ones I've sold already). This will be the only purchase of 2022, there will be no other watches in my collection. The Fitbit will act as a beater if required and the Tudor will be the daily watch, in fact the watch for everything. And that's it.

There's been the mental roadblock with the Tudor, as discussed ad nauseam on here and whilst I've been back and forth on this in my head it'll always be a mental struggle. I'm currently happy justifying it via the fact that I'll generate the majority of the funds from watch sales. And that buying (and keeping this watch….) this watch will satisfy me and I'll have a keeper…..

.......however, the BB58 isn't a done deal. I'm still not a 100% sold on needing it and in no hurry to buy. So I'll see how it goes.

I think that I'll spend less time generally on WUS, apart from WPAC, and watch sites.

I remember you sold your pelagos at one point, what will the bb58 do that your last tudor didnt?

Selling your entire collection is brave, good luck! :cool:

#6 ·
At the end of 2021, my collection divides into three groups.

Retired and Semi-Retired
Brown Rectangle Wood Material property Box

Perfectly Cromulent
Watch Analog watch Light Product Clock

Homemade
Watch Brown Analog watch Photograph Light

What Happened During 2021

For Christmas 2020, a friend gave me a set of tools and told me to go build some watches. I gave some to family and friends, keeping the ten shown above.

Goals for 2022

Five homemade pairs are more than enough, so I'm done making watches for myself. I may assemble a few more to give as gifts. I might modify a watch every once in a while, but only when it needs maintenance for other reasons. Wearing and learning to maintain the ones I've put together will be enough of a hobby.

I hope to sell one or two watches, but I like to hang onto watches I associate with eras and events of my life.

#8 ·
This was the SOTC in January of 2021
Watch Analog watch Light Clock Wood

This is the SOTC in January 2022
Watch Watch accessory Clock Rectangle Gadget

Everything else is sold with a few flippers yet to be listed. In a little bit of a weird place, tbh. In the 20+ years prior to COVID I traveled 125 nights/year for work, in the last 2 years I’ve not been out 25 nights total. I’m sure that has a lot to do with the waning interest in watches and I’ve worn my G Shock 90% of the time.

I have some probable purchases for 2022 but I’m having a hard time getting excited about doing anything. I did buy a Titanium bezel/bracelet for a G Shock mod that was delivered today and I may buy a GW5000 to complete the mod.

Another potential purchase is a 3861 Hesalite Speedmaster. If that happens I will reassess and decide what’s next, if anything. I still enjoy the hobby and I’m hopeful for a new release to spark my interest as there’s not much out there I really want to own.

Good luck to everyone and hope you meet your WPAC goals in 2022.

#37 ·
In the 20+ years prior to COVID I traveled 125 nights/year for work, in the last 2 years I’ve not been out 25 nights total. I’m sure that has a lot to do with the waning interest in watches and I’ve worn my G Shock 90% of the time.
I've heard a similar sentiment expressed by many, and I'll be honest - I just don't understand this. Another friend says most of his good watches are in storage in Austria - he doesn't have them because he doesn't need them, having retired from the business world.

Even when I was working from home 4/5 days of the week, I still wore different watches in rotation, still got a kick out of whatever WotD was on my wrist. Maybe this is why things did not appreciably slow down for me in 2021?

In any case, members have posted some really compelling smaller collections, which is the kind of inspiration for which I hang out at WPAC.

#13 ·
Hello all. I cannot say how often I will or will not post. My current collection:
1. Citizen BN0211
2. Casio AE1500 that my son just gave me for Christmas.

Retired:
Citizen AE7031 that was dad's.

To go:
Casio AE1200, WV200, SGW100
Timex Expedition digital

My goal is to complete my DW5600 build that I've been working on (if anyone has a 3229 module that they don't need...) Otherwise I am not buying anything unless I can get a genuine Rolex Explorer 214270 for $100 or less.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Grüetzi everyone and hello from Switzerland! 😎
SOTC in 2019: Tag Heuer Calibre 1 Limited, Baume et Mercier Clifton Club, Apple Watch 4
SOTC end 2021: 3 Omegas, Apple Watch 4
Watch Analog watch Photograph White Light

However, I have decided to upgrade my first Omega (Seamaster 300 MC Titanium) to the new Seamaster 300 (black dial), and I have already placed the order with someone who can get this watch for me with a good discount. The new version will arrive in January, and then I will let go the older version (95% probability).

Goals for 2022 besides this exchange:
  • Spend less time on WUS, but increase the quality of my contributions
  • No more watches, and be happy with my 3 watches and various straps

Happy new year, Guys and many blessings for 2022! 🙏🏻

#19 ·
Grüetzi everyone and hello from Switzerland! [emoji41]
SOTC in 2019: Tag Heuer Calibre 1 Limited, Baume et Mercier Clifton Club, Apple Watch 4
SOTC end 2021: 3 Omegas, Apple Watch 4
View attachment 16330384

However, I have decided to upgrade my first Omega (Seamaster 300 MC Titanium) to the new Seamaster 300 (black dial), and I have already placed the order with someone who can get this watch for me with a good discount. The new version will arrive in January, and then I will let go the older version (95% probability).

Goals for 2022 besides this exchange:
  • Spend less time on WUS, but increase the quality of my contributions
  • No more watches, and be happy with my 3 watches and various straps

Happy new year, Guys and many blessings for 2022! [emoji1317]
I love your collection! It reminds me of mine.

Isnt going from a titanium seamaster to a steel seamaster a downgrade and not a upgrade? Even if the other is newer... I was really close to buying that model in the past, so i have a soft spot for it.

Your collection is exactly what i would have had if i was making more money 4 years ago[emoji28]

Enviado desde mi CLT-L29 mediante Tapatalk

#21 ·
Present for 2022!

SOTC:

Watch Analog watch White Clock Grey

Left to right:
  • Vostok Komandirskie mod - The watch that ended it all for me. Right now my daily watch, no need for anything else.
  • Union Glashutte Noramis - Gift from my parents during a challenging time in my life. Its not being worn a lot, but I love it when I do, mostly on slightly more formal occasions. Its a special watch that won't go anywhere.
  • Hamilton Viewmatic open heart - This watch I picked as graduation gift, partly sponsored by my friends. So again a special watch, that doesn't see wrist time on a daily basis, but gets a lot of enjoyment when I wear it. Won't go anywhere either.
  • Raketa mini alarm clock - not really a watch, but just included for full disclosure (it does have a watch movement 😛)
I am pretty happy where I am at right now with watches. I got a daily wearer that's legible and functional and costs so little to replace I don't have to worry about banging it around. And then I got two special watches to enjoy on more special occasions (with a pretty low threthreshold for special occasion lol). What else could I possibly need?

2021 was definitely the year I got the purchasing under control. My obsession definitely waned, and don't really feel the urge to even look for new watches anymore.

My goal for 2022 is to maintain that stability. There's no desire for any new watches right now, and hasn't been for at least half a year.

2022 will also be the year I'm starting my own business. If 2022 is a success in that regard, just maybe I might reward myself, in which case I'll allow myself 1 purchase - but that may also turn out to be something other than a watch.

I may participate a bit less actively in WPAC this year than in previous years I think. But I'll drop in from time to time when the conversation is good ;)

#24 ·
Sotc
Seamaster gmt
Ceramic speedmaster
Midsize seamaster
60s dress seamaster
Stowa flieger

Last time i got into wpac i started tracking wrist time in a spreadsheet over a year, and i realised i was wearing my midsize 50% of the time , and everything else was sharing the last 50%, so i sold alot of my colection(and spent the money on a couple more omegas) . Now i know anything i buy is in direct competition with the midsize, its just a do it all watch, i went to the pool with it, went skiing, and its perfect with a suit too.

The speedmaster is nice when i want something shinier. The gmt is for when i feel like wearing something heavier, the 60s seamaster was my grandpas, and the stowa is my newest aquisition, and i have not taken it off since i got it. Its a nice pop of color.

This year i bought the stowa, and a gshock. Now i know gshocks arent my thing, and i think not buying anything next year will be plausible.

You can see the snow outside in the reflection hahaha

Enviado desde mi CLT-L29 mediante Tapatalk

#26 ·
Tim from Ohio, USA and I have a watch addiction. It's nice meeting all of you here.

I purchased 11 watches in 2021 (one was a catch/release) which can be viewed here: 2021 purchases. In addition to the 2021 purchases, I unfortunately already had a full collection going into 2021, which most would say didn't need any additions.

What I did do in 2021 with my collection is thin out a couple slightly large watches and replace with smaller variations. This process is now complete. Also, I've been trying to do a two out, one in method where I can maybe feed my addiction a bit, but also cull the herd. Finally, I've given a couple watches away (to family, don't get too excited).

My goal for 2022 is to continue the two out one in method. Also, to not make impulse buys. I admit I do have a short list of watches I'm interested in acquiring. There's no hurry, and they may not be 2022 purchases or I may not purchase them at all. So the additional 2022 goal would be to be patient.

My current wish list is:
  • Omega Seamaster 300
  • Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar or Sixties
  • Zenith El Primero
  • A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
By no means do I intend to purchase all (or even any from this list). I very well could wait till 2025 or never purchase. These are just what I've been considering for a while now. Again, being patient, these watches are not going anywhere, they'll still be available long after I'm gone. Also, to aquire I'd sell two watches (as per the rule).

So in closing, I welcome all the current members and those that post after. Hopefully, we can work together to reach our 2022 goals.

#29 ·
Wow, those are a lot of nice watches. The trouble is, if you only wear one at a time, it's a lot of nice watches that you're not wearing at any given time. So your 1 in 2 out policy seems sensible.

What's intriguing me is what you already had coming into 2021. Without looking at any post history, I'm going to guess your collection also includes a Blancpain FF and an IWC Portugueser.

#32 · (Edited)
Alright, so...

I posted my final 2021 Q4 roundup here:

And since then, listed 9 10 watches for sale - 7 from year end SOTC, two not shown, and of these, 4 5 sold, including three four pictured.

Goals for 2022: Consolidate.
  • end the year at less than 20.
  • finally do an online watchmaking course.

Q1 may be messy, with a few purchases planned. I've already sold more than I will buy, and when all is said and done, sales will cover purchases and there will be net outflow.

Q2-3 zero purchases

Q4 one Big Purchase.

WPAC has never been about complete abstinence for me. I like the community, the people who contribute and the level of conversation. It has also led to a very much more discerning view toward purchases - i look for reasons not to buy, rather than reasons to buy.

And it seems like I will follow that well-trodden path of fewer purchases, but higher-peiced watches. The mrs-ish gifted me a Tudor BB36, and it is actually all that. I now have my eye on a 4-5 watch collection as an ultimate goal, with maybe 3-4 slots for messing around with affordables.

#34 ·
Last watch I bought was in February. My goal is to no longer buy a watch.
My method is simple. Wear the watches I have, if they trigger me to want to buy another watch, I no longer wear a watch til the itch is gone.

In the end I'm still a bit ashamed how much I spend on watches.... I am happy I am off it now, but I wish I never fell for it in the first place.....

#38 ·
So I read through this thread last night, having never participated before. I was aware of it, having seen it on the forum listings and stuff, obviously, but never really browsed through it.

In the last few weeks, I've impulse bought a few things, put them on, and immediately thought "wow, I'm an idiot. This is not for me." So I'm looking to end that kind of thoughtless buying for the sake of buying.

I'm one of the people who got into watches at the beginning of the pandemic out of lockdown boredom, and I already feel like I've gone through the phase where learning and acquiring was exciting, so now I'm hoping to be a little more targeted.

My current collection:
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Rectangle

-G-Shock GWM-5610 which I wear 3-4 days a week
-Bluro that my girlfriend just got me for Christmas, and which I plan to do a couple tweaks to (sapphire, 12hr bezel insert)
-early 80s Timex I impulse bought on eBay and have totally fallen for
-F-91W
-Christopher Ward C63 GMT which was going to be my travel watch, because I naively thought I would be getting back to my old schedule of 100+ nights a year on the road for work
-Sinn 556i which gets worn on all the days I'm not wearing my G-Shock

Not pictured: the two other F-91Ws I keep in my bag and my car, in case I forget to put on a watch in the morning; the Vario Empire I got in on Tuesday and immediately realized I don't really care for. Going to put it up for sale this evening when I get home.

Goals for 2022:
-save up for my first foray into the $2000+ category that will be the watch I wear to my wedding. (Thinking Nomos, anOrdain, possibly GS, even less possibly GO)
-related, spend some money on an engagement ring
-maybe, MAYBE sell the Christopher Ward. It's on a shaky nail since, like @jcombs1, I travel a lot less now than I did. And even if things return completely to normal tomorrow, the fundamental nature of my job has changed. I've been very fortunate that my company has grown over the past two years, and I do less boots-on-the-ground selling now, and more managing relationships with our distributors and staff in other markets.
-spend less time on WUS and the internet in general and more time on hobbies that make me happier (fly fishing/fly tying, cycling, woodworking)

So basically I'm signing up for ferocious chiding in the event I buy anything this year. Thanks in advance, and have a happy and safe new year, everybody!

#46 ·
Man, I was all in on this for 2022 until I just bought a cherry wood 30 watch case (17 slots filled). Only 13 more to go. 😳😬

#49 ·
SOTC here at the end of 2021:

Omega Speedy Pro. 40th bday present a few years back. Never going anywhere and IMO the most greatest wrist watch of all time.
Omega Seamaster Pro. Purchased in 2021 as gift to myself for getting promoted. Beautiful watch and the quality is way up there. Also a keeper.
Certina DS2 HAQ LE. Bought in 2020 after looking for it for almost thee years. I don't wear it often but I love it.
Citizen Calibre 2100. Classic Citizen chrono and also a keeper for me. 16 years old almost and works perfectly (of course).
CW C60 7750 Chrono aka "The Beast". 17.1 MM of wrist crushing awesomeness. It's a fantastic watch and will never leave the collection.
CW C60 316L Yellow LE. Another MK2 C60 (the best version IMO and I've had 6 of them by now). Gorgeous yellow and a really fun watch to wear.
CW C60 "Kermit". Just got this a few weeks ago. I wear it all the time right now. It's fabulous. If I was to ever sell, a fellow WUS'er already has dibs on it.
Citizen Signature Courageous with the gray dial and steel bezel. Perfect grab and go. Just a superb watch for not a lot of money.
CW C1 Grand Malvern Small Seconds. If this said for example IWC on the dial, it would be $4000. It does not, but that's the only reason you'd know this is not a very expensive piece. Incredible build quality. 5 day PR. COSC. It is my most worn watch. (not counting the AW)
Apple Watch 6. I wear this 23.5 hours a day, every day, on the right wrist. Sleep tracker, fitness tracker, etc etc. It's just awesome, let's be honest.

So there we have it. 2021 was a weird year for me with watches. I bought a ton of watches and enjoyed them but then the lure of "something else" crept in and I sold so many of them, some of which I'd like to have back. I was chasing something, but what? I piled up paypal slush funds and now nothing is on the horizon to spend it on. I feel a bit lost right now in this hobby and will be taking a break for a while. I'm just posting this here in WPAC to give myself a point to look back at down the line and see how things evolved for me.

I'm considering if a Tudor of some variety is in my future but it's too early to tell at this time. The money is there but the research has yet to be done. We will see what happens.

I wish you all a wonderful 2022, with watches and everything else, and I'll check in from time to time (maybe ;) ).

J

#51 ·
Lots of new brethren to WPAC, so welcome to you all :) (y), haven't got the time or patience for individual greetings :ROFLMAO:.

If you've got a goal of abstinence then remember that participation in the thread can be enormously helpful in keeping on track with that. Same goals for other goals really. Just remember someone will always be around to give support, advice or bash what ever watch is absorbing your attention......

#52 · (Edited)
I have been lurking on the 2021 WPAC thread for two months, and I'm happy to join this group!

I’ve never wanted a large collection, but I do like a rotation with some diversity (one diver, a dress watch, a versatile GADA, and something casual that is not a diver). I have had a long-held wish for either a Rolex OP, an Explorer 1, or an Omega SMP. Lastly, I’ve had a long-held wish to have two mechanical chronometers if I could. I am an astronomer, and love the historical linkage between astronomy, navigation, and precision timekeeping (John Harrison is a personal hero of sorts).
SOTC at the beginning of 2021:
  • Seiko 5 Field-style (SNKK35J1)
  • Oris Artelier Skeleton (my first “near luxury” model; a gift from my wife some years back)
  • Seiko SARB 17 Alpinist
  • Tudor P01 as my diver (pool diver that is...)

During the year I made a few trades and purchases and learned a surprising thing:
  • I gave the SNKK35J1 to my son who now wears it as his daily
  • I replaced the SNKK35J1 with a used Tudor Ranger at a very fair price in hope it would scratch my Explorer itch
  • I bought an Oris BCPD 80th Anniversary Bronze, partly because I really loved it, partly because it reminded me of my mom’s service as a USAAF WAC, and partly to pander to my local Rolex AD just a bit (which, in retrospect, was pretty dumb.) Thankfully, I love the watch.
  • I traded my Alpinist for a Glycine Airman Base 22 with a little cash in the deal. This was impulsive, but I did really like the 3-time zone functionality.

In September I learned on WUS that some years back AAFES opened online shopping to all honorably discharged veterans, AND that they have remarkable sales on Omegas. This set up an end-of year flurry of activity. I bought an Omega SMP 300m on the AAFES black Friday sale. At the price, I simply could not pass it up. On receipt of the watch, I was truly blown away. I love it.

So on Dec 1 I had six watches in hand, including two divers and two pilots, which felt like a bit much. I also had some sellers regret about the Alpinist because it had been my versatile GADA. And, like I said before, Omega. Wow. So, between Thanksgiving and Christmas I did a 3-for-1 set of transactions; the P01, Ranger and Airman (all of which I did really like) went out, and an Aqua Terra from my local AD (thankfully also discounted a bit) came in.

The SOTC now is:
  • Oris Artelier Skeleton
  • Oris BCPD 80th Anniversary Bronze
  • Omega SMP 300m
  • Omega Aqua Terra

I now have pretty much everything I ever hoped for. A diver that was on my obtainable grail list, a dress watch, a beautiful GADA, and something casual but not a diver. Two are high quality chronometers, one is from my wife, and into the bargain they all have the same 20mm lug width. My 2022 objective is to avoid temptation and be happy with what feels like an amazing rotation to me. My biggest fear is that I may get an AD call about an available Rolex – in which case I am truly not sure what I would do, because I’ve learned that 4 is the right number for me.

Cheers!

Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Tableware Hood Automotive tire

#79 ·
I have been lurking on the 2021 WPAC thread for two months, and I'm happy to join this group!

I’ve never wanted a large collection, but I do like a rotation with some diversity (one diver, a dress watch, a versatile GADA, and something casual that is not a diver). I have had a long-held wish for either a Rolex OP, an Explorer 1, or an Omega SMP. Lastly, I’ve had a long-held wish to have two mechanical chronometers if I could. I am an astronomer, and love the historical linkage between astronomy, navigation, and precision timekeeping (John Harrison is a personal hero of sorts).
SOTC at the beginning of 2021:
  • Seiko 5 Field-style (SNKK35J1)
  • Oris Artelier Skeleton (my first “near luxury” model; a gift from my wife some years back)
  • Seiko SARB 17 Alpinist
  • Tudor P01 as my diver (pool diver that is...)

During the year I made a few trades and purchases and learned a surprising thing:
  • I gave the SNKK35J1 to my son who now wears it as his daily
  • I replaced the SNKK35J1 with a used Tudor Ranger at a very fair price in hope it would scratch my Explorer itch
  • I bought an Oris BCPD 80th Anniversary Bronze, partly because I really loved it, partly because it reminded me of my mom’s service as a USAAF WAC, and partly to pander to my local Rolex AD just a bit (which, in retrospect, was pretty dumb.) Thankfully, I love the watch.
  • I traded my Alpinist for a Glycine Airman Base 22 with a little cash in the deal. This was impulsive, but I did really like the 3-time zone functionality.

In September I learned on WUS that some years back AAFES opened online shopping to all honorably discharged veterans, AND that they have remarkable sales on Omegas. This set up an end-of year flurry of activity. I bought an Omega SMP 300m on the AAFES black Friday sale. At the price, I simply could not pass it up. On receipt of the watch, I was truly blown away. I love it.

So on Dec 1 I had six watches in hand, including two divers and two pilots, which felt like a bit much. I also had some sellers regret about the Alpinist because it had been my versatile GADA. And, like I said before, Omega. Wow. So, between Thanksgiving and Christmas I did a 3-for-1 set of transactions; the P01, Ranger and Airman (all of which I did really like) went out, and an Aqua Terra from my local AD (thankfully also discounted a bit) came in.

The SOTC now is:
  • Oris Artelier Skeleton
  • Oris BCPD 80th Anniversary Bronze
  • Omega SMP 300m
  • Omega Aqua Terra

I now have pretty much everything I ever hoped for. A diver that was on my obtainable grail list, a dress watch, a beautiful GADA, and something casual but not a diver. Two are high quality chronometers, one is from my wife, and into the bargain they all have the same 20mm lug width. My 2022 objective is to avoid temptation and be happy with what feels like an amazing rotation to me. My biggest fear is that I may get an AD call about an available Rolex – in which case I am truly not sure what I would do, because I’ve learned that 4 is the right number for me.

Cheers!

View attachment 16331202
That’s a great 4 watch collection but think I could find a spot for a Rolex Explorer, especially at retail. I have a permanent, yet unoccupied, space for a 36mm Explorer. It’s unlikely to be filled but I keep it open just in case.

#54 · (Edited)
Okay so was wanting to do this last year but did not. The past few years have been crazy in watch buying and selling. So here is a pic of the collection minus one of my skx007 which is at a watch maker so the one in the pic is my backup, and one cheap quartz watch that was a gift that I do not have a picture of, other than that its all here the good and bad lol.

My watch hobby goals this year is to only buy one and I may sell some that do not click with me. Maybe this will get me to focus on what I have and enjoy them or find them homes.

I am looking forward to this and have no idea what the one watch for the year will be. Here is the collection.
First picture are the divers/dive style

Watch White Blue Natural material Clock

Second pic is field watches
Watch Analog watch Photograph Product Rectangle

Third pic are dress watches
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Rectangle

Fourth pic are aviation inspired watches
Watch Analog watch Black Clock Watch accessory

Fifth pic, Gshock and digitals
Watch Analog watch Clock Silver Watch accessory

6th pic a wooden watch that was a gift
Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Everyday carry

7th two pocket watches
Photograph Clock Wood Analog watch Font

8th a unworn glock 35th anniversary chrono
Watch Green Analog watch Font Clock

9th pic is my last one for 2021 and is currently in the mail system on its way to me.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font

10th pic are my sport watches, mainly bezeless woth good WR, the new Ball will be here, the two woth bezels here lack decent WR so they are casual watches.
Watch Analog watch Black Fashion Everyday carry

Okay so yeah might have a problem, might not. Not sure but I want to slow down. This puts me at 46 total counting the two not here.
So help me keep to only getting one this year and maybe selling some of these. 🙂

#56 · (Edited)
I bought quite a few watches in 2020, of which way too many Pagani designs (4).. ended up with 13 watches in total:
Light Black Automotive tire Font Art

Sold all but 2 in 2021 and added another 2 so my SOTC is a total of 4 watches:
Watch Analog watch Photograph White Blue

I pledged the fee at a Kickstarter campagn for a Revelot Hexmariner which should arrive somewhere in februari/march '22.
Watch Photograph Analog watch Light Rectangle

At some point I would like to add a nice looking skeleton watch with a Japanese or Swiss movement. But I do feel I'm otherwise done buying (and selling) watches. I personally don't care for watches beyond the affordable range (>$1000) so won't be looking to move 'upwards'. But we will see what kind of temptations 2022 will bring. :)

#60 ·
I bought quite a few watches in 2020, of which way too many Pagani designs (4).. ended up with 13 watches in total:
View attachment 16331314

Sold all but 2 in 2021 and added another 2 so my SOTC is a total of 4 watches:
View attachment 16331316

I pledged the fee at a Kickstarter campagn for a Revelot Hexmariner which should arrive somewhere in februari/march '22.
View attachment 16331326

At some point I would like to add a nice looking skeleton watch with a Japanese or Swiss movement. But I do feel I'm otherwise done buying (and selling) watches. I personally don't care for watches beyond the affordable range (>$1000) so won't be looking to move 'upwards'. But we will see what kind of temptations 2022 will bring. :)
Rossi fan then?

#58 ·
Okay, I’ll throw my hat in this ring too - love the idea! I will get around to posting a collection pic when I have some time, but there are 19 in my “active” rotation, a mix of Omega, Tudor, Sinn, Seiko, Doxa, and then another four or five outside of that.

The last few years have been really active with buying and selling so it’s time to hit a big pause button. I have one purchase planned, a Garmin Fenix 7, but going to really try and limit it to just that and who knows - maybe I’ll even sell a watch or two. Good luck everyone!!

#75 · (Edited)
I guess it’s a good thing that I joined the 2022 WPAC, because a unicorn just popped up and I bought it.

So I guess my goals for 2022 are still to not buy anymore. And to enjoy my new original orange Arnie.

I’ve already bought it, so don’t roast it too badly.

So why did you need the unicorn? Who wants corn on their horse anyway. [sidetrack, why are these things called unicorns and not unihorns in English?]

What is it with hard to get things? If a girl needs to play hard to get to get your attention, you know its because she's not all that attractive to begin with right...

How much of the decision to buy that watch was based on FOMO, and how much on actually liking the design?

Oh and also welcome to WPAC of course 😊

#64 ·
I’d like to participate too.

Here’s my collection, nothing too fancy. My main aim is to stop buying watches in 2022

SOTC

First box,

Rectangle Automotive tire Facade Symmetry Engineering

Top row L-R
Citizen “Ray Mears”BN0118-55E, Citizen Skyhawk JY8070-54E, Elliot Brown Holton Professional, Bulova Sea King 96B228, Casio Pro Trek PRW-6600Y-1ER, Citizen BN0205-10L

Bottom Row L-R
Citizen GMT BJ7107-83E, Citizen Promaster CB5007-51H, Elliot Brown Canford, Bulova Lunar Pilot 98A186, Casio MT-G S1000V (this intention is/was to sell this one) & Citizen Tough BN0217-02E

Boxes 2 & 3

Shelf Shelving Headgear Font Rectangle

Top Box (Casio)

Top row
GW-9400 Rangeman (modded and hydro’d), GMW-B5000G-1ER and GMW-B5000-1 (both sporting DLC bezels and bracelets) & GW-4000 Gravity Defier

Bottom Row
GBX-100, GW-B5600HR (modded, bezel and strap), GW-5000, GW-B5600AR (modded, bezel and strap)

Bottom Box

Top row
Steinhart Ocean One V3, Retangula Rdunae “Capt. Willard” Homage, Steeldive SD1975 “Tuna” Homage, Orient Ray “Raven”

Bottom row
Lum-Tec M47, Casio MTD-1080 and Suunto Core All Black

Not pictured, he’s in the safe, Fortis Cosmonauts Chronograph B-42

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.