WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 1763 Posts

Registered
I'd be delighted to send some of my Swiss watches your way for service Evan, but I suspect that Omega Coaxial and Tudor Kenissi movements may not be in your wheelhouse. :(
I was going to reply that a cat may look at a king, but I guess this would be more akin to saying that a cat may perform open heart surgery on a king, which is admittedly a radically different proposition. 馃槀

To some extent a plainly decorated three hand movement isn't going to be much different from another, but parts availability is the trouble with those players. Would love to service a co-axial movement some day (but in a low pressure environment lol).

Registered
I will finally give myself entry to the club with the absolute worst SOTC pics you'll see all year- guaranteed.
Vintage: (projects on bottom shelf)
Table Shelf Wood Shelving Display case

Modern:
Automotive lighting Wood Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive tire

Goals:

1. Don't buy anything till March (already broken as I bought a watch in a small fundraiser auction. But don't buy anything more!)
2. No impulse buys. Only ones that have been thought about. If I keep to this rule this would probably cut my buying down to a fraction lol.

That's pretty well it for me.

Registered
So, you're going to try and hold off for another five weeks? Shades of USC....

That's a pretty low bar, but hey -- baby steps. :)
I'm with Lee here, it's nearly feb already. So you're basically committing to one month of abstinence... If that is an actual serious commitment for you, does that mean you've been churning through a watch a week or something? 馃樁
Abstaining completely till March has become a tradition I try to do each year. Just a way to try to start the year off thoughtfully with regard to purchases and sales.
I have only bought one this year, and that was less because I wanted a watch and more because I wanted to participate in a fundraising sale a friend conceived to help out another mutual friend. It's a Timex chronograph. I'll probably wear it for a few months and then have a giveaway for it.
No churn here. I haven't posted yet because I've adhered to the rule of first post being SOTC, and was waiting to get a good pic- then finally just gave up so I could post here lol. I've been too busy fixing watches to buy them.

Registered
With all due respect to whoever it was that mentioned buying a birth year watch for a child, I have to say that is one of the cheesiest excuses floating around WIS-dom for treating oneself to a new bauble. What person if given the choice between a stupid watch and a stupid watch's worth of money invested at their birth would choose the former? Really guys let's be honest with ourselves; it's a romantic story we re-tell to ourselves because we've been told by the huge brand marketing machines that it's meaningful and important. It's a garbage marketing ploy. No object stored in a musty safe is going to mean anything to a freshly minted 18-year old- or worse yet, one that's been worn and beat up by their lame dad.

Registered
Do you know what grandpa's watch may have meaning? Because he just bought a watch without thinking about this ridiculous idea of meaning and wore it for decades. There's something artificial about buying an object with the goal of attaching meaning to it rather than just letting random object have meaning attached to it by the natural process of life.
That's exactly the crux there; the attempt to artificially create "meaning". You too can have fulfillment and a romantic, storybook life story if you just buy these products from us!

Registered
I'm still holding strong to my no watches till March commitment- that may extend to April here as well.
I'm not in any rush, but am considering a Dekla pilot watch for purchase. I love that Dekla makes literally all the parts except the movement in their own facility in Germany- CNC-ing cases, printing dials, machining hands. And the movements are Swiss Sellitas which appeals to me aesthetically. Here's the model I'm considering- 40mm, either their hardened scratch resistant steel or possibly a bronze case, SW-200 movement, bead blasted case, thermally blued hands, about $700 USD. The Old Radium lume is much less orangey and more sand-colored IRL.
Give it a bash!

Watch Brown Analog watch Watch accessory Clock

Registered
With all these fliegers looking so alike, I become very anal about the details.

I don't like how the hour hand obscures the arabics, nor how, as Wimads points out, they are too similar in length.

I know pricing for IWC is nuts, but I think their handset is far more refined. The widths are similar but the lengths properly distinguish one from the other.

View attachment 17262548
Hm that's an excellent point. Comparing the two I'm at a loss how IWC does it without the hour hand looking ridiculously stubby; I guess the handset itself must just be smaller all around because it looks very proportional.

Registered
I think Dekla is a manufacturer the appeals to WISes. That said, they're just treading in the groove set by the RLM seventy-five years ago. At least Stowa and IWC have modernized the design with alternative lugs and handsets. I just sold this Laco last week because I realized that I'm done with beobachtungshur design. Nothing wrong with it objectively, it's just that I found that it eventually wears out its welcome.

The Dekla doesn't differentiate the lume applied to 5 minute markers from the 10 minute markers, making the faux aging look more way more uniform that the originals. I like the A-dial layout as much as the B-dial, but in the end these are very utilitarian-looking (intentionally so, of course) and after owning six various fliegers from Steinhart, Laco, and Archimede, I think I'm done with the desire to have an aviation-themed watch in my collection. None of them ever seem to stay very long.
What is RLM?
I didn't realize the different aging in lume between markers was a historical thing; I wonder why that was?
To me the lume is less an aged look than just a color palette choice that I happen to like. If there was any other type of faux "aging" applied I'd be aghast.

Registered
Reichsluftfahrtministerium. The n-zi department that put in the order for the B-Uhr flieger watches.

(I've tried to find out where/when the "A-dial" developed, and it seems like it evolved from the Elgin A-11 field watch. But it's hard to tell. Also the "B-dial" watches are somewhat incorrectly called "pilot's watches." The B-Uhr was for the navigator, not the pilot. The pilot would have worn a handwound chronograph from a brand like Hanhart.)
I thought for sure that was a parody German word until I googled it. Wow. Interesting info re B/A dials. I like the looks of many vintage Hanharts as well.

Registered
I'm afraid the Enokson will be a disappointment with the tired copied design, low level mass production grade finishing, and dial that isn't even exactly what you're looking for. If I hadn't seen your statement about not wanting multiple $3k watches in your collection I would have recommended the Fears as well.
Quartz is a fantastic technology and I am far from against it, but with the VH31 you're getting a very low grade quartz movement- reliable, certainly, but not particularly well made or special. I would think one of Citizen's higher end quartz watches would be more interesting to you, or even Grand Seiko's 9F movements, or Certina's or even Bulova's HAQ movements.. Don't know that any of those have purple dials, though.

Registered
I see what you mean, both in terms of design, finishing and probably movement.

I think my brain fart is that I do want a purple watch, just as much as I've wanted a blue, green and orange/salmon/gold, but can't bring myself to buy yet another watch at the top of my price level. So the obvious solution is to get an affordable. But the point you highlight is interesting: just like I'm not comfortable spending another 3k, would I be satisfied with this enoksen? I believe so, that's why I'm seriously considering it... but can't be sure. At 150 pounds I'm more than willing to take the chance. It's a calculated bet, much more than say the TAG Heuer would be. That one it's beyond my subjective accepted level of risk.

It also doesn't help that I'm now fully on the quartz hype train. The ideal watch would be something like a Laine, Sartory Billard or custom Habring or Ophion, but I don't want another mechanical. I'm feeling very comfortable with just two, and don't want to upset that balance.

I'll give it some more thought (which I was going to anyway), but your responses have definitely highlighted some points I was not paying enough attention. Thank you.
That's interesting- deliberately wanting an affordable, which makes sense but runs counter to almost universal thinking among watch enthusiasts which is to buy as high as you can afford, so that you'll always get "more better" lol. I've bought cheap affordables in fun colors or designs many times, but they never stick around- which is perhaps to some extent the point- the core collection is set and the fun stuff is a revolving cast.

Registered
Yep, I'm one of them. But that's not the case here.

When I was set on buying the Fears, I didn't compromise. Saved and waited for a year instead of buying a placeholder. More or less the same happened with the Citizen. That's the watch I want, that's the watch I'm getting, even if it takes time.

This scenario is different. I could afford the Laine, Sartory Billard etc. But I don't want to. I specifically want something affordable. Granted there are levels to that as well. But the enoksen is the one that fills my criteria the most, and just happens to be the cheapest. It's not a compromise, it's the one I want... At the moment. Nobody's to say in a year's time my mindset will still be the same, and in the spirit of wpac the logic is "then wait and see". But then again, who's to say this watch doesn't prove to be enough? Or worst case scenario, the mindset does change and then I'm "stuck" with a lesser watch I have to sell/get rid of... Which is hardly a problem.

I'm aware all this sounds a lot like excuses and justifications, but writing things down helps me clear my mind.
Not to enable, but.... quartz Glycine Airman, purple dial, extra cheap lol Glycine Men's Watch GL1023

Registered
Damn, well, you may as well proceed with bashing that. Even dungeon master hard love gets a little tempted by that.... it's good that I don't have even 200 bucks laying around right now.
1. It's got chunky, straight lugs. Even as a big fan of Glycine I've always thought the Airman case was inelegant, and I've never owned one as a result.
2. Case finishing on these is nothing special from what I've seen. I wouldn't hold out too much hope that those outer bevels are anything but rounded off lug edges.
3. Fiddly useless bezel lock that adds bulk to the side of the case.
4. 42mm x 13.5 is anything but svelte.
5. What the heck color strap do you match with a purple dial? No bracelet included.

That should hopefully redeem me for posting a watch for sale, lol.

Registered
Well I've made it to March with no purchases. First goal of 2023 achieved. I'm still eyeing the Dekla but am in no rush at all. Recently repaired my second Fortis chronograph so it's back up and running well again; and I'm enjoying having it working so much it's taken my mind off purchasing something new.

1 - 20 of 1763 Posts