WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1061 - 1080 of 1763 Posts

· Registered
3,450 Posts
You guys.

I have no idea how people identify a watch from a blurred movie frame, and it's not even important. I did notice the Speedmaster in The Adam Project mentioned recently, which I actually enjoyed. That's probably the only one I saw for myself. I had no idea of the actual watch involved in Interstellar without the many references here and elsewhere. My son said what a terrific film it was but I need a director's commentary to understand it. I thought people must be talking about the triangular Hamilton watches.

I imagine I will start investigating the Venturas now, especially that chronograph! Hamilton Watches Worn In Men in Black (1, 2, 3 & International) - iknowwatches.com

However, that article still doesn't mention the watch J''s father left to him in MIB3, and that's one of my favourite parts of Earth's history. It should have been a pre-moon Speedmaster, or maybe even a post-moon one that his dad found in a small shop that he never found again, when he was in The Twilight Zone. :D

· Registered
215 Posts
I can sort of see what you mean, but I think you are agonizing over trivia. If you like the AT design aesthetic, get one. If you don't pick another watch. There are loads of watches that cut off parts of numerals and so on, which I think is worse, but people buy them.

Am I right in thinking Omega changed the grooving from horizontal to vertical. A minor detail. The arrow minute hand isn't my favourite. Another minor detail.

Anyway, homages. In the bad old days, I bought a Corgeut, and didn't realise it even WAS a homage/copy of an AT till later, but I enjoy wearing it. I bought a GMT version, knowing the bracelet was too short, but thinking I could use a spare link from the 3 hander, but it was a slightly different design, so that is on a strap. I also bought a Phylida version in green, but I prefer the white. Based on these, I think an AT must be a super watch to own, but I couldn't justify the cost.

I am not trying to be an enabler, but there can't be many watches that don't have a single thing their owners wouldn't change.

Anyway, surely you are here to be persuaded you don't need the AT at all???

Here's my variants.
The AT takes the all rounder role in my mind that can do the dressy and casual stuff well, much like the Explorer or heck, even the Alpinist. However, it's asking a lot of money to not deliver everything I want out of it (especially since it's on the dial), which is a glaring issue. I most definitely don't need an AT, and I'll probably end up buying another Seiko or a car before I can mentally justify a luxury watch purchase over $3k. The more I analyze the AT, it seems less like I'm solving a problem like "I'm missing a watch for X occasion" but more like I'm looking for a problem to solve or going as far as creating a problem I didn't have before (like owning an expensive watch). Wild.

· Registered
5,073 Posts
(...) but more like I'm looking for a problem to solve or going as far as creating a problem I didn't have before (like owning an expensive watch). Wild.
That right there is the core mechanism of the addiction. No one needs more than one watch (or even a watch at all these days); but we invent endless reasons to justify buying more than we need.

· Registered
3,442 Posts
You guys.

I have no idea how people identify a watch from a blurred movie frame, and it's not even important. I did notice the Speedmaster in The Adam Project mentioned recently, which I actually enjoyed. That's probably the only one I saw for myself. I had no idea of the actual watch involved in Interstellar without the many references here and elsewhere. My son said what a terrific film it was but I need a director's commentary to understand it. I thought people must be talking about the triangular Hamilton watches.

I imagine I will start investigating the Venturas now, especially that chronograph! Hamilton Watches Worn In Men in Black (1, 2, 3 & International) - iknowwatches.com

However, that article still doesn't mention the watch J''s father left to him in MIB3, and that's one of my favourite parts of Earth's history. It should have been a pre-moon Speedmaster, or maybe even a post-moon one that his dad found in a small shop that he never found again, when he was in The Twilight Zone. :D
I mean, if you can't tell that this guy is clearly wearing an IWC IW524101, then I just feel sorry for you bro.
Microphone Musician Flash photography Entertainment Music

· Registered
3,430 Posts
I had my mind set on buying an Omega AT
I looked at the AT very hard last year myself, influenced by all the Omega fanboys that it was the best GADA watch made save the nearly-impossible-to-get (at the time) Rolex Explorer. I actually went to an AD and tried them on, but it simply didn't speak to me. I like Omega as a brand a lot -- I own three -- but the Aqua Terra just didn't quite do it. For me, it's the annoying 21 mm lug width, the polished center links on the bracelet with a butterfly clasp that makes sizing a hit-or-miss proposition, and the fact that the dial color I wanted, white, is more silvery than I prefer.

I ended up selling my white-dial Sinn 104 and getting a Christopher Ward C63 Sealander GMT for one-sixth the price of a new Aqua Terra. While it really is an apples versus bowling balls comparison, the CW does everything I intended to use the Omega for with much less heartburn.

· Registered
13,000 Posts
Back in Dec, I checked out an AT 38mm in blue, like this one:
Watch Analog watch Product Watch accessory Clock

Not gonna lie - sweet watch which exudes quality.

However... I will never understand why Omega gives the minute hand an arrow on a watch where it's not pointing to a rotating bezel. Seems backwards to me - hour hand should be broadarrow, minute hand dauphine. Still not sold on the "teak decking" dial treatment, but in person, it makes more sense than in pix. I believe the movement in the bigger model allows for independent adjustment of the hour hand, but not here.

The real killer for me is the date window, or rather, the lack of a lumed index stub below the date window. Or a freakin' frame on the date window. Or a white date wheel. Something. But not this.

I'd be more apt to pay half MSRP to obtain one of the older 36mm versions.

In my head, I have a BB36, I have a Sinn 656 - an AT would be completely superfluous.

· Registered
215 Posts
View attachment 17223415

The real killer for me is the date window, or rather, the lack of a lumed index stub below the date window. Or a freakin' frame on the date window. Or a white date wheel. Something. But not this.
Good to know I'm not alone with this opinion! Yeah, I'm not onboard with the teak deck look either. Feels pretentious. Appreciate the support, y'all.

· Registered
3,755 Posts
The AT takes the all rounder role in my mind that can do the dressy and casual stuff well, much like the Explorer or heck, even the Alpinist. However, it's asking a lot of money to not deliver everything I want out of it (especially since it's on the dial), which is a glaring issue. I most definitely don't need an AT, and I'll probably end up buying another Seiko or a car before I can mentally justify a luxury watch purchase over $3k. The more I analyze the AT, it seems less like I'm solving a problem like "I'm missing a watch for X occasion" but more like I'm looking for a problem to solve or going as far as creating a problem I didn't have before (like owning an expensive watch). Wild.
I think it's commendable that you consider your own thought process from such an external point of view.

I think the AT is a nice watch, maybe Jack of all trades, but this also makes it somewhat meh. Not too dressy, not too casual (Arabic numerals would work better IMHO), not too sporty in lack of a bezel... Like most Grand Seikos, a great watch, just difficult to lust after it.

I liked the deck of the earlier generation, especially in green, but one pointy and another broken arrow for hands just look wrong in my eyes.

· Registered
3,430 Posts
A profound depiction of how power corrupts. He starts the show in a much better place horologically.
The show runner, Vince Gilligan, had such an eye towards the arc of the story which he described as "you take Mr. Chips and turn him into Scarface". Mild-mannered Walter White, a failed research chemist who settles for teaching high school chemistry, appropriately wears a Casio calculator watch. He ends up being a drug lord through complete annihilation of anyone who got in his way. The TAG Heuer Monaco given to him by his partner Jessie Pinkman represents an appreciation of Walter that his family could never provide him. The Monaco makes Walt feel sophisticated and powerful.

It's a masterful series -- one of the four greatest American serial TV dramas of the 21st century. The others being The Sopranos, The Wire, and Mad Men.

· Registered
1,791 Posts
The more I think about the watches I buy and what they have to offer, I'm noticing getting pushed back down the price ladder.

The big brands have good watches but your paying a 2-3k premium just because of the name.

I don't care as much for the name and because this is just man jewelry at the end of the day, I like wearing nice things that have good value for me personally.

Others might find the brand has much more value to them where I am not as into that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,442 Posts
View attachment 17223415

Not gonna lie - sweet watch which exudes quality.

However... I will never understand why Omega gives the minute hand an arrow on a watch where it's not pointing to a rotating bezel. Seems backwards to me - hour hand should be broadarrow, minute hand dauphine. Still not sold on the "teak decking" dial treatment, but in person, it makes more sense than in pix. I believe the movement in the bigger model allows for independent adjustment of the hour hand, but not here.

I'd be more apt to pay half MSRP to obtain one of the older 36mm versions.

In my head, I have a BB36, I have a Sinn 656 - an AT would be completely superfluous.
Interesting enough, I do think the small seconds AT solves at least the date/6 o'clock problem. But the other problems with the hands and indices remain.

· Registered
160 Posts
The 1957 trilogy Railmaster puts the arrow on the hour hand and has no date to mess things up...

I'm also not a fan of the Aqua Terra. I couldn't get excited about it to the tune of £5k... I think if I was looking for a watch in that vague niche, I'd end up with a pre-owned Zenith Captain / Elite and a chunk of change.

· Registered
160 Posts
The 1957 trilogy Railmaster puts the arrow on the hour hand and has no date to mess things up...

I'm also not a fan of the Aqua Terra. I couldn't get excited about it to the tune of £5k... I think if I was looking for a watch in that vague niche, I'd end up with a pre-owned Zenith Captain / Elite and a chunk of change.
But, I wouldn't do either of those things... I'd enjoy what I already have and so should you! All of you!

· Registered
1,883 Posts
Today is my one-month anniversary of joining WPAC! I'm glad to report that I have not been tempted by any watches so far, even when I saw a couple of cool new ones my cousin bought. Knowing I would have to answer to this thread if I bought a watch has helped tremendously.

I did order one of Barton's elite silicone bands in khaki as a summer option for my Murph 38. I am also planning to order a cork band (in olive) from Martu Leather as my main warm weather band for it.

· Registered
13,000 Posts

Perspective - for the cost of a new Omega AT 38mm, I could pick up a AT 36mm, maybe even the Railmaster version with white (not faux vintage) lume... and a used Zenith Elite 680.

Not that I need more watches...

Took apart two watches and built one new mod.

· Registered
6,495 Posts
I'm not trying to enable here, but if you aren't dead set on automatics, the AT quartz is an option too. Thinner than the auto variants and cheaper too. The accuracy on mine has been astounding - about 12 sec per year. I forget the reference number, but mine has the 4 year battery life, with the independently adjustable hour hand and the vertical teak dial. Its discontinued now, but there are plenty out there in the used market to pick from.

· Registered
3,450 Posts

I don't like the railmaster at all. My Corgeut (and phylida, but I prefer the white) gave me enough of the AT vibe for £50 or so. I looked seriously at the Captain. Rather like a chronomaster for adults.

Then I saw this zenith grand class on eBay. Except for the date, and the price, and the size (44mm).

I don't seem to be able to download a photo, so you will have to click the link. Hopefully this link works.

· Registered
3,513 Posts
When preparing for a road trip, a husband says, "My car is as cleaned out as it's going to get, and there's room for the luggage," the woman hears, "The interior is show room ready."

The husband hears many other things as they get the interior less cluttered. But I maintain, little more usable.

1061 - 1080 of 1763 Posts