WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
003.JPG 010.JPG 008.JPG These two Citizen Speedys were a 2 package basket case project. There was enough to make two fully working watches, but only one was going to get all the beauty parts. I really like the black dial ones personally but the white dial was way nicer so it won out. Of the two i used the best case, dial, signed crown, case back and tachymeter bezel. The black dialed one had a small scratch on the minute recorder dial and it got the worn tachymeter bezel. I serviced, timed and restored them both to there fullest potential with the parts given in the project. Really only one of these watches should have lived, but i like these watches so the black dial rat lives too. I liked how the flourecent orange hands turned out on the black dialed one, since it needed all the help it could get. The case on it is still really nice and if i could find a nice tachymeter bezel for it i would replace the crystal at the same time. Unfortunately,its harder to find a nice bezel for these than it is to discover a ship wreck full of gold. I found it interesting that Omega and Citizens design from the 70s look so similar. Either way i wish Citizen would have tried their hand at a triple calendar automatic chronograph. 31

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Very good looking Citizen.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi 31 Jewels, you may be able to help me. Do you recall a Citizen chrono about 78 vintage that had a plain black bezel, 3 sub dials and 3-4 pushers. I had one many years ago and wouldn't mind trying tp locate another.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish you had a pic of it or could find one on the net and post it. I racked my brain on it and couldnt think of a mechanical one. Do you know if it was a quartz model maybe? 31

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, B! These are great! Is the orange paint you used on the sub-dial hands Humbrol Enamel? It looks great!
Yea, its the formula i was telling you about in the 8110a high end thread. It has a hint more flourecent "fire" in the orange that the originals, but its a flat finish thats really close. I figure after some years it will age as nice as the original color. 31

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Unbelievable 31! You do some amazing work! I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts showing the progression of your projects|>

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you Makai. This is a pic of the last (4) 8110a's that i recently finished. The white Speedys original dial almost appears to be like a pearl essence in color depending on the light angle. I stripped the old original 67-9054 dial that was pictured in V's 8110a thread of its paint to see how Citizen was able to create that glow of colors. Highly polished brass dials really sets the tone for green, blue and white. Im working on 2 Citizen Bull heads that i will post down the road that i think some of the Bull Head guys might dig. 31 017.JPG

·
Registered
237 Posts
The more I think of it, I think it was quartz, it never stopped. I gave it to my brother after I wrecked it in an accident, we both had the same watch given to us by our mother. I would like to resurrect it if I can get it back. My b rother has since passed away, so I will talk to his wife and get some numbers.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ANZA, if you can get the watch back that would be a good start. Send me a pic and then hit up ebay (daily) to try to find a donor. I have 2 other members of the Seiko/Citizen forum that im working a service and resto on. I will post them up soon. When those are done and if you have a serious interest, i can post the restoration of your watch here too. 31

·
Registered
237 Posts
ANZA, if you can get the watch back that would be a good start. Send me a pic and then hit up ebay (daily) to try to find a donor. I have 2 other members of the Seiko/Citizen forum that im working a service and resto on. I will post them up soon. When those are done and if you have a serious interest, i can post the restoration of your watch here too. 31
I spoke to my sister-in-law and she remembers the watches and still thinks there in my brothers junk (at least 1). As I recall they are the same rounded shape as the 8110 in Gold colour, same plain black bezel but with 4 pushers ( is 4 possible? ). I'm dead keen to retrieve and restore this one. Can you pm your postal address and if she locates it/them, I will get it sent to you.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anza, before i take any work i have to see pictures of the watch and what im up against. If you have a camera that can shoot macro pics, take a crisp picture from all angles and i will forward my email address to you if i decide to take it on. I have alot of resto and service work, and dont want the shipping hassels if you decide you dont want to spend the money to service and restore your watch. Plus if its damaged in any way you will have to find a donor on ebay for parts. I stock mechanical parts mostly and not alot of quartz chronograph parts. No one wants to spend the money to fix the quartz chronograph now a days. 31

·
Registered
237 Posts
No WORRIES 31, I will try to get this little beastie back and see if it is worth the hassle. If and when I get it, I will give you a yell. Keep up the good work mate, those 8110's are very interesting.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad you enjoy! I look forward to hearing from you again. Maybe down the road you might find a Citizen mechanical chronograph that you like. Definately post up the pics. One that is serviced the right way would easily run 8 years non stop. Plus, you dont need to buy a battery for it. 31

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thank you Makai. This is a pic of the last (4) 8110a's that i recently finished. The white Speedys original dial almost appears to be like a pearl essence in color depending on the light angle. I stripped the old original 67-9054 dial that was pictured in V's 8110a thread of its paint to see how Citizen was able to create that glow of colors. Highly polished brass dials really sets the tone for green, blue and white. Im working on 2 Citizen Bull heads that i will post down the road that i think some of the Bull Head guys might dig. 31 View attachment 630796
Nice work on the Speedy - like you I prefer the black dial but I can see why you chose the white one. The bezel on the black one was truly faded!! Here's my black one:

Black Speedy.jpg

Stephen

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Stephen, when i saw how nice your Speedy is it made me laugh. Imagine walking through a car junk yard and saying, "im going to drag that one out and make it worthy again" Seeing yours makes me think of the "show room instead of the boneyard." Or, "your at the end of the assembly line" and mine are at "the end of the line." Cant let them die yet. Seems like theres just not alot of mechanical Citizen chronographs left compared to Seikos anymore. 31

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hey Stephen! It's keeping time but the chrono stuggles at times. It takes a couple of resets to get them back to zero, but overall, it gets the job done! =)

-Cat

1 - 20 of 36 Posts