WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on another watch thread so mostly a copy paste but leading off from an older thread here asking whether the upgraded options are worth it, I can fully say yes, especially the AR coating.

The invoice sheet attached with the package says the crystal has 10 layers of AR coating on the front, and 3 layers on the underside. The way it gleams blue/purple is stronger than what I remember on my NOMOS Ahoi Atlantic and that had a domed sapphire crystal with AR on top which looked fab too.

Laco Aachen arrived today. Have to say for a little over £400 it's got great fit and finish. Also unlike the first gen models that had a polished case back frame, the new ones are brushed to match the rest of the case.

I chose the optional double side AR coating and Laco 31 movement which is the Miyota 8315 (60 hours reserve, more decoration) and the original Flieger designation code engraving on the side.

The lume on Type-B dial Fliegers is rather impressive. It only lasts at full brightness for a few mins but then fades to a dim glow. Looks cool walking indoors from daylight.

The stock strap is rather thick, I am not a fan of leather straps and also don't like the button rivets so bought a Joseph Bonnie tropic strap (silicone version this time as that's all that is available in 18mm lug sizes) and think it looks great on the watch. Might change the buckle to a brushed 16mm buckle too just so it's all in sync.

There is a ghost position on the crown, it does hack too which is a mod Laco put into both movements on this range.

Honestly am blown away by the quality for this price. Glad I chose the upgrades too as the AR hue adds an extra level of cool factor, and functional too. Always felt the non AR coated sapphires look a bit flat.

The winding rotor is not as noisy as the Baltic's 9039 movement though likely because it's a skeleton rotor vs the 9039's solid piece. This does not freewheel as easily either. Hand winding this movement is rather nice, lots of friction and resonance. Crown is not screw down.

That's it so far... Accuracy being measured over a full week.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Very nice thanks for sharing, always been after a Laco - now erm where’s that credit card ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I had early watches of the Aachen and Augsburg with the non-hacking movement. I really liked both but sold them mostly because of the crystal.

I almost ordered another one with the upgrades over Black Friday with the discount, but sprung for something else instead. I think your post has convinced me to get an upgraded Augsburg.

·
Premium Member
7,459 Posts
Congrats on your Aachen. And thanks for taking the time in providing your initial impressions, pics, and gifs. The gifs do add a nice visual touch in demonstrating Aachen's overall aesthetics. Enjoy your new Laco.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The crystal definitely is the big one for me as it just looks so good as light hits it - AR hues just ooze a premium look for sure!

I was frustrated before ordering as nobody online seems to have bought this combo, at least if they have they have not posted/reviewed it so I decided to take matters into my own hands lol.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Cheers! I would like to change the tropic strap's buckle to something brushed finish and fitting of a Flieger too, anyone happen to have any ideas on one at all maybe? I would brush by hand this polished one though I guess.

Here's a video I did last night of just the watch in close-up detail:

·
Premium Member
34,566 Posts
Great looking watch.

Hope you enjoy it. Very nice.

Reactions: mrk

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That looks very pretty. And one the first with the new movement in the wild!

Question: is AR coating only on the inside also an option? I would always worry about scratching outside-coating, which sort of defeats the purpose of a Sapphire crystal for me..

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That looks very pretty. And one the first with the new movement in the wild!

Question: is AR coating only on the inside also an option? I would always worry about scratching outside-coating, which sort of defeats the purpose of a Sapphire crystal for me..
It's not an option listed although not sure if it's something they can offer on special request? Either way I've had a NOMOS before with the same ;layered AR and never managed to scratch that in the couple of years I owned it so not too concerned really and the NOMOS had a domed crystal!

I would also hope that the 10 layers on the front would offer enough resistance to standard scuffs against a hard surface as such. Only time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
251 Posts
mrk,
Thank you for your review.
How does the Miyota 8315 feel when hand winding, smooth, gritty, etc.?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mrk,
Thank you for your review.
How does the Miyota 8315 feel when hand winding, smooth, gritty, etc.?
Hi, it is smooth not gritty but you can of course feel/hear the mainspring winding and once it's fully wound the audible click is more pronounced than the 9039. There's more friction to the winding than on the 9039 as well by the way. Whether this is because the mainspring is larger than the 9039 or because this has a bit more damping I am not sure.

Feels and sounds good either way for hand hand winding, I had a Marloe Coniston which uses the hand wind Miyota 8N33 and the 8315 in the Laco feels more like a workhorse hand winder than that.

Unrelated update, I bought a new strap for this to add to the rotation, a Hirsch Pure natural rubber. Really like it for the quality and comfort and think this will be the default strap I used all the time now.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi, it is smooth not gritty but you can of course feel/hear the mainspring winding and once it's fully wound the audible click is more pronounced than the 9039. There's more friction to the winding than on the 9039 as well by the way. Whether this is because the mainspring is larger than the 9039 or because this has a bit more damping I am not sure.

Feels and sounds good either way for hand hand winding, I had a Marloe Coniston which uses the hand wind Miyota 8N33 and the 8315 in the Laco feels more like a workhorse hand winder than that.

Unrelated update, I bought a new strap for this to add to the rotation, a Hirsch Pure natural rubber. Really like it for the quality and comfort and think this will be the default strap I used all the time now.

Thank you for the info. The new strap looks great! Was it difficult to transfer the Laco hardware to the new strap?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the info. The new strap looks great! Was it difficult to transfer the Laco hardware to the new strap?
I didn't think it was difficult really but I do have a springbar tool and have changed hundreds of straps in recent times so it's kind of second nature to me!

I would rate the difficulty as a 3/10 really as long as you have a good spring bar tool!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I didn't think it was difficult really but I do have a springbar tool and have changed hundreds of straps in recent times so it's kind of second nature to me!

I would rate the difficulty as a 3/10 really as long as you have a good spring bar tool!
Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sure, I don't have a macro lens on the DSLR but the phone gets pretty close up:

You can't see much else as the huge bridge plate covers the mainspring barrel etc!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sure, I don't have a macro lens on the DSLR but the phone gets pretty close up:

You can't see much else as the huge bridge plate covers the mainspring barrel etc!
mrk, Thank you! These are perfect!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts