WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm like most people, I live by a routine.

They have advantages, you do certain things automatically as part of your routine without forgetting, and they have proven to be good for your health.

Yesterday my routine was thrown off and it felt very odd. I hunted and hunted to find out what was missing and where. I sent a PM to the mod thinking I was missing it, or somehow had gone blind....:-d

And what was I missing? .... the daily WRUW.

Yes you may laugh (to which I say good for you, as humor is high on my priority list) and yet it was missing... and _I _missed _it.

Here is why:

As a relatively new member of a few months (although my profile reflects I've been a member far longer but that's another story) the daily WRUW thread is the very thread, that convinced me to join WUS. I was so taken at the beautiful pictures of watches, that it really revved up my excitement and enthusiam to get back into collecting. As although I already had a mature, and vast collection of analog mechanicals, autos, perpetuals, what have you. I found this G-Shock forum and the photos were both of high quality, and very compelling. It refocused me on my love of the time tested wrist watch.

Also being one that has enjoyed photography in the past, I was intrigued to find that lots of people here also enjoy it.

So I bought my first G' took some pics and I was off to the races so to speak.

Now my first post of the day is WRUW. I love it. It's a way to show our watches to other members and for new people to see new and different watches.

I don't care if the time and date are not of the same day like some others complain about. Why complain? Why be negative? Why not just celebrate this great forum? Why not just ignore the daily WRUW thread if you don't like it?

To My Point....

The daily WRUW thread is usually near the top of the thread listings, and newcomers that are browsing or as we like to say "lurking" they will find this thread easily. They may just possibly have the same experience I did. One of excitement, enthusiasm and a big decision making influence in getting involved with G-Shocks and our hobby of collecting watches.

Thus the clear and compelling reason to keep it going daily. After all when one goes to a new forum and does not know their way around the chances of finding a once a week only WRUW thread is not as great. Finally let's not forget the time tested refrain: "A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words...

So that's my take. Thanks for Reading!

Cheers...:-!

·
Registered
743 Posts
I agree, I enjoy them as well. I actually just need to start having more access to a decent camera, since my posts of late have been either old pics or cell phone shots.

No need to sweat if you don't see one, man... You can always start one yourself if no one else has! ;-)

·
Banned
5,317 Posts
could not agree more! love the WRUW threads here and in the other Fora. very educational and some of the photography is just jaw dropping.
top three reasons to love the WRUW threads:
1) The wrist shots are the most helpful to me as it shows the "real-life" watch.
2) great to help research when members add the model number or name
3) shared sense of community - aka: enablers, lol

·
Registered
681 Posts
I agree I love the daily WRUW threads. I always look at this forum and the affordable forum to find out what my next purchase will be lol. Plus I just love looking at everyone's photo's

Long live the DAILY WRUW thread!!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
they don't do much for me for some reason. maybe because for a while it seemed like the same photos time after time. but i do agree we have some great photographers among us, and wrist shots are very useful. hmmm, maybe i should try posting in them for a week....

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
I like them as well. Nice to see what people are wearing, although I am not a fan of wrist shots....at least of my own wrist. Kinda like listening to your own voice on the answering machine.

It is a shame that some forums discourage WRUW threads.

·
Banned
4,512 Posts
I don't always look at them but it is a place to post some experiments to see what others think, like this one

a little trimming of the zulu frog adaptors and

not really a fan of the zulu but it is a way to add a bright colored strap for diving, anyone know where to get a neon green or orange nylon strap? maybe a bit thicker?
i find these adaptors great at removing spring bars which isn't a good thing if you want to keep your watch but the GWF 1000 has screw in bars so this is at least secure.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think it is a great feature. I just bought a camera and I'm still experimenting with it. I hope to have some nice pictures posted soon.

·
Registered
743 Posts
not really a fan of the zulu but it is a way to add a bright colored strap for diving, anyone know where to get a neon green or orange nylon strap? maybe a bit thicker?
i find these adaptors great at removing spring bars which isn't a good thing if you want to keep your watch but the GWF 1000 has screw in bars so this is at least secure.
The place I've gotten a few straps was this website. They do have zulus in orange and red, but no neon green. They also have super long 17 inch zulus for getting over wetsuits, etc. although I don't know if they really are much thicker...

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,587 Posts
When we started we had a weekly WRUW thread on Friday, with sometimes a WRUW thread on other days. Later we got more members and we got a weekly Humpday thread too. Now it seems there is one everyday. I actually took a photo yesterday for the WRUW thread, but there was no, so I posted it today, since I didn't change watches in-between.

For me I think a daily WRUW thread is not necessary, I can live with 2 - 3 times a week or so. I always try to participate in the Friday thread, unless I am wearing the 50 Gs model for the next article on Sunday. Looking at the amount of post per WRUW thread, you can see there is a demand. Why should a forum discourage them?

If you can't find a WRUW thread, why don't start your own?

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

If you can't find a WRUW thread, why don't start your own?

Cheers,
Sjors
The only reason I did not yesterday, was it was a busy day for me, I was not sure what the rules were for starting one and since I did not have time to re-read the forum rules I didn't.

But now that I know anyone can start it, I will be more than happy to if no one else has.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,587 Posts
The only reason I did not yesterday, was it was a busy day for me, I was not sure what the rules were for starting one and since I did not have time to re-read the forum rules I didn't.

But now that I know anyone can start it, I will be more than happy to if no one else has.

The only eason I didn't start a WRUW thread was that it was around 23:00, so the day was almost finished here:-d

BTW, if there are two threads started, the mods normally merge them if they notice (or when they are notified).

(no watch wearing now as my hair is in the bleaching/dying process)

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha, there are no rules for who can start a thread! :-d
I know that applies to regular threads, but I was not sure about the WRUW, as they are usually started by some of the same people who have been here a lot longer than I have.

I have a lot of respect for this community and I would rather err on the conservative side.

Cheers...;-)

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like them as well. Nice to see what people are wearing
I agree. Also I think that they are very beneficial when one wants to see a watch they have either not seen before or may want to look at again and have not found using using the search feature.

Finally, of even greater importance and value in my opinion is for new people that are either thinking about G-Shocks , or to those that may have one and want to see more.

The more new people we attract, the better it is for the forum and for Casio.

Cheers...

·
Registered
681 Posts
I agree. Also I think that they are very beneficial when one wants to see a watch they have either not seen before or may want to look at again and have not found using using the search feature.

Finally, of even greater importance and value in my opinion is for new people that are either thinking about G-Shocks , or to those that may have one and want to see more.

The more new people we attract, the better it is for the forum and for Casio.

Cheers...
It would be interesting to know how popular the WRUW threads are with lurkers and if they rank near the top. I know they were my favorite when I was lurking around in the shadows :-d

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
sjors, interesting to read about how the wruw has evolved. i'm going to try posting every friday... that seems like the right frequency for me. i'm not sure what to make of wus having multiple wruw threads... in a way there are too many members wus-wide for me to really engage with 'the buds' the way a wruw benefits from, so the fragmentation is understandable, yet i imagine some people post the same image in multiple wruws for that day (just speculating).

ps, the last 50gs about the matt black gulf was outstanding! i agree completely that the red accents take that edition to another level.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I know that applies to regular threads, but I was not sure about the WRUW, as they are usually started by some of the same people who have been here a lot longer than I have.

I have a lot of respect for this community and I would rather err on the conservative side.

Cheers...;-)
A little while back it seamed like it was a competition for who would start it first. :-d I guess the forum participation goes through phases. I like them but don't look every day. :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I have no problems with looking at different pictures of various G's every day! I will probably only post about once a week until my collection grows some more :-d

We could always do a compromise with the other issue raised recently about WRUW threads, namely that of the watch showing the same date as that of the post: How about if Friday (or any day) was reserved for specific pictures of watches taken that day with the correct date?

Just a thought .... ;-)

·
Banned
4,512 Posts
The place I've gotten a few straps was this website. They do have zulus in orange and red, but no neon green. They also have super long 17 inch zulus for getting over wetsuits, etc. although I don't know if they really are much thicker...
Thank you, i'll check them out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts