WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Forum administrators, please delete this thread. Thank you.

I will understand if this thread is deleted as it will just dump out the already opened can of worms. (I am not sure if that idiom exists outside the United States.)

While the general consensus for an "affordable" watch is under USD $1000, it is still quite flexible with sale, gray market, pre-owned, and vintage prices among other factors. Please do not give the tired "it is affordable to me" or "affordable is subjective" straw man argument—that misses the point. Given all this, which watches above the loose $1000 limit do we seem to still consider affordable, or at least acceptable to post and discuss here in the Affordable Watches forum?

I will start:

My Stowa Flieger Classic 36mm at USD $1200 is an example of this. I do not think anyone here would balk at it being posted or discussed here. Other examples I can think of are the Oris Aquis models, the Tissot Heritage chronographs, Seiko Tuna and recent Seiko divers, and even the Seiko MM300 for some reason. And for the record, I think it is okay to reference a non-affordable watch in discussions here.

What else? Please post photos of your own if you have them!

·
Registered
Orient Bambino v2gen2, G-Shock GW-M5610, and Seiko Turtle SRP775
457 Posts
I don't inherently think "affordability is subjective" is a strawman. Some people can simply afford more than others and depending on their disposable income, a Rolex can be affordable or an Omega etc. To some people, 100$ is a lot to spend on a watch. Myself, I make a decent living, but I would never feel comfortable with something the price of a used car from 2017 on my wrist. That being said, Farer has some stellar pieces that are in the 1000-1500 range. They are way too small for my giga chad 8" wrist (/s), but I admire them from afar.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Where and when was this consensus reached? I seemed to have missed that meeting.
We have a meeting monthly when someone posts the question or resurrects an old thread about it and every time the general consensus is that approximately USD $1000 is the limit for the sake of discussion because if there is no agreement, this forum does not need to exist. This thread I started actually gives those who have a problem with the limit on the higher end an opportunity to post photos of their watches within reason but maybe I have too much faith in humanity.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't inherently think "affordability is subjective" is a strawman. Some people can simply afford more than others and depending on their disposable income, a Rolex can be affordable or an Omega etc. To some people, 100$ is a lot to spend on a watch. Myself, I make a decent living, but I would never feel comfortable with something the price of a used car from 2017 on my wrist. That being said, Farer has some stellar pieces that are in the 1000-1500 range. They are way too small for my giga chad 8" wrist (/s), but I admire them from afar.
I wanted to avoid this discussion. I thought it would be fun. I already regret starting this thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
552 Posts
$1000 US is a reasonable cut-off point. There's really no reason to try to wedge expensive watches in here. There are plenty of other places on WUS for folks to discuss & show-off more expensive watches.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$1000 US is a reasonable cut-off point. There's really no reason to try to wedge expensive watches in here. There are plenty of other places on WUS for folks to discuss & show-off more expensive watches.
Yes, and my point is that there are watches that are reasonably over $1000 and suitable for this forum for the reasons I stated in the original post. I thought this to be fun but I was mistaken because the topic of a limit is triggering. I should have known this. My apologies.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My impression is that, generally speaking, an affordable watch is $1000-ish. There's no controversy as far as I can tell and I see watches in the $1000 to $1500 range discussed in the Affordable forum. But of course, that dollar target is in no way fixed. It will gradually increase with time. In 20 years, it may have become $2000-ish or more (depending on inflation). But again, I don't think there's any kind of hullabaloo about it. We just want talk about watches that we believe are affordable, as opposed to watches we don't believe are affordable. The end result is that no self-respecting haute horology fan is going to pop in here to discuss their super-affordable (to them) $10,000 watch that they found on sale, and that's the overall goal of the Affordable forum as far as I can tell.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
We have a meeting monthly when someone posts the question or resurrects an old thread about it and every time the general consensus is that approximately USD $1000 is the limit for the sake of discussion because if there is no agreement, this forum does not need to exist. This thread I started actually gives those who has a problem with the limit on the higher end an opportunity to post photos of their watches within reason but maybe I have too much faith in humanity.
I’ve never noticed WUS reaching a consensus about anything including far more of what most would consider reasonably straightforward. Even you acknowledge this is a can of worms and subjective. Meanwhile this theme has managed to exist for many years without any such arbitrary limit and I’m sure it will continue to do so for many more. I do wish you luck in your campaign, but I’m just not as optimistic about its success.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I purchased my Seiko Tuna new for under USD $800 from a gray market seller. Its retail price is JPY ¥132000 or around USD $1200 at the current exchange rate. This is an example of a watch folks here seem to accept in the Affordable Watch forum when not everyone will find it affordable but that could be said about any watch at any price.

I do wish you luck in your campaign, but I’m just not as optimistic about its success.
Thanks and you are right to be pessimistic as I seem to be the only one posting photos. I started this thread with a rare bit of optimism that was quickly dashed. I expect this thread to devolve into another discussion about the damn arbitrary limit when I all I wanted to do is to acknowledge its arbitrary nature and have some fun with it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sorry OP, but based on your approach this just seems like an attempt to stir up controversy where there is none and/or intentionally push the dollar limit of what people consider affordable. I don't think this will get much traction simply because it's not in the spirit of the Affordable forum. If you didn't want the thread to "devolve into another discussion about the damn arbitrary limit", then you shouldn't have made the thread all about the arbitrary limit. I don't see a lot of discussion of this arbitrary limit in the other threads in the Affordable forum. It only comes up when someone has a beef with it.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
5 years ago this would have been a fine topic for this forum, but AWF has since then been taken over by the Ali Express crowd.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Someone posted a survey asking people to choose a cut-off point for their definition of affordable. Someone with better Tapatalk search skills than me can probably find it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Most if not all the members embodied in this forum can save $84 per month to buy a $1,000 watch at the end of the year, right? This would lend me to believe that a category such this Affordable/Not Affordable topic is a decent one. Maybe this topic has been wrung through the wringer but there's always room for another one this year. Here's one: My Vaer Swiss Diver. About $700

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Watch accessory
:

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry OP, but based on your approach this just seems like an attempt to stir up controversy where there is none and/or intentionally push the dollar limit of what people consider affordable. I don't think this will get much traction simply because it's not in the spirit of the Affordable forum. If you didn't want the thread to "devolve into another discussion about the damn arbitrary limit", then you shouldn't have made the thread all about the arbitrary limit. I don't see a lot of discussion of this arbitrary limit in the other threads in the Affordable forum. It only comes up when someone has a beef with it.
I thought I made my intent was clear but I did not. I wanted forum members to contribute with what they thought did not adhere strictly to the arbitrary limit yet was still acceptable here. I was not trying to stir up controversy or discuss the limit. I like having a generally agreed upon limit for the sake of conversation like the one I tried to start with my original post where I wanted to talk around the limit and not about the limit. Regardless, I failed. This is a forgotten lesson that I once again relearned.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I thought I made my intent was clear but I did not. I wanted forum members to contribute with what they thought did not adhere strictly to the arbitrary limit yet was still acceptable here. I was not trying to stir up controversy or discuss the limit. I like having a generally agreed upon limit for the sake of conversation like the one I tried to start with my original post where I wanted to talk around the limit and not about the limit. Regardless, I failed. This is a forgotten lesson that I once again relearned.
Well, if you start a discussion by saying, "I don't want this to be all about racism...", what do you think the conversation is going to be about?

Anyway, the limit is indeed arbitrary, so just ignore it. Talk about whatever watch you want to talk about here if you consider it affordable. Nobody is going to ask you the price, so don't let that be a barrier to you.

·
Registered
Orient Bambino v2gen2, G-Shock GW-M5610, and Seiko Turtle SRP775
457 Posts
I wanted to avoid this discussion. I thought it would be fun. I already regret starting this thread. Thanks.
Lmao I am not trying to be hostile, just elaborating on your post. But yeah, when you bring up this topic, it is bound to happen. It's like the classic "Perfect watch collection size" or "3 Watch Collection" posts, it always triggers someone who thinks three is a lot, too little, etc etc. But to also mention what some other people said, if you're going to start a convo not wanting vitriol, vitriol will happen guaranteed. It is like saying, "With all due respect" before something disrespectful is said, the preface doesn't make the statement better by extension. Just because you preface is as best you can, and had good intentions, its better to not even have the conversation at all if you even think controversy will arise from it, road to hell and good intentions and all that. Sorry this didn't turn out how you hoped.

·
Premium Member
1,989 Posts
Mr. James Duffy,
It is a sad day when you feel like you cannot dare to say something on a Watch form that just might offend someone. Shouldn’t we all be open to conversations that sometimes others don’t agree with us? Buy the watch you want! Pay what you want and wear the watch you want! $1000. is a fair amount to set as a model to compare, in my opinion! Vance.

·
Registered
Casio F-91W
1,303 Posts
What is considered “affordable” is a matter of perspective. For me it’s what the average Joe in my neck of the woods could afford to set aside and save for something nonessential like a TV. $1000 seems reasonable.

I used to conflate “affordable” with “cheap” before joining WUS but now I see differently.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts