WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I wonder if all models of the new GW-3000 have the Tough MVT because I find different descriptions on the dials. It seems to me that the japanese models have "Tough MVT" and the european models "only" "WR 20BAR". :-s What does it mean?

Attachments

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm sure someone will be along to answer your question.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Hi there,
I wonder if all models of the new GW-3000 have the Tough MVT because I find different descriptions on the dials. It seems to me that the japanese models have "Tough MVT" and the european models "only" "WR 20BAR". :-s What does it mean?
I remember seeing the WR 20BAR before but I am almost positive it was prior to launch and maybe it wasn't confirmed at that point that it would have the tough movement. I would assume they released shots of the watch to see what the public would think of the form factor. My guess is those are the prototype (pre-production) images.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
That is a good catch - I wonder if Tough Mov't was removed from int'l released models to lower the price? I don't see any specs indicating it has Tough Movt on several Euro Casio sites. :think:

I can't imagine why Casio would change the label from Tough Movt to WR20Bar if there is no technical difference between the Euro model and JDM model. Yet the press release for this watch at Basel World indicated it did have Tough Mov't. Very strange.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
That is a good catch - I wonder if Tough Mov't was removed from int'l released models to lower the price? I don't see any specs indicating it has Tough Movt on several Euro Casio sites. :think:
You're right - just checked Casio Germany and the European G-Shock homepage and no sign of a tough movement anywhere - I'm sure they'd have mentioned it if it had one - what a bummer <|<| and price is the same as the JDM version - I feel kind of spoofed.

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I think the European version is the same as the Japanese one. The manual from the European sites seems to suggest module 5121 which is the same as the Japanese version. Unfortunatelly the manual seems to not yeat be available for download, but from the file name one can derive module nr 5121.

The European sites also says it has 24 hour and not 24 minutes stopwatch so the European sites seems to be wrong about the specs.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Some more thoughts on this subject:
I think Casio is missing a big opportunity here to gain more attention from the European WIS crowd and be taken more seriously. They are making the same mistake that Seiko makes by keeping the good stuff 'Japan only' (but even Seiko made some GS-models available in Germany just recently). It almos looks like they wanna keep their image as a producer of cheap plastic quartz watches. It's a shame really 'cause I see Casio's popularity becoming bigger and bigger on the German watch forums over the last two years. Just a little while ago Casio was basically ignored on German forums - with a few exceptions. But as a result of the world economy crisis and the fact that people seem to be spending less money on watches - Casio gained popularity because of the great 'bang-for-the-buck' factor. Now they could go one step further but they seem to be reluctant to do so. I just don't see why? Do they think they got no chance of selling more watches in europe than they already do? Or do they think that people will forever and ever accept rising prices of Swiss watches with mechanical movements inside that have basically not evolved till the 70's (ETA-7750 and ETA-2824 which are ticking inside about 90% of the watches housing Swiss movements, just look inside a current German watch catalogue like 'Heel' or 'Schick')? I think people want an alternative and Caio could sell a lot more watches in europe than they do now. What about 'Shock the world'? Kind of makes me sad :-(. We want tough movements - now!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thank you so far for helping me with this confusing subject.

Here is the press release by casio from the basel world 2010:
http://mygshock.com/2010/03/17/casio-g-shock-gw-3000bd-at-baselworld/

Casio is writing: "The new watches also feature Tough Movement**, which is the key component in Casio’s radio-controlled watch technology, further enhancing reliability."

The specs of Tough MVT as described in the press release are: **"Tough Movement: A slim, high-performance, radio-controlled solar-powered movement that has four vital functions: Multi-Band 6 technology for receiving time-calibration signals transmitted over wide areas from six stations in the world (two in Japan, and one each in the US, the UK, Germany, and China); high-capacity solar power system operation; hybrid mount construction for added shock resistance; and an auto hand home position correction that returns hands to their proper position automatically if they slip out of place."

The case remains interesting. b-)

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
The European sites also says it has 24 hour and not 24 minutes stopwatch so the European sites seems to be wrong about the specs.
there could be also another possibility (altough a bit unlikely): dropin' tough movement for the european market and add a 24 hour stopwatch instead....:think:

cheers

·
Registered
233 Posts
Unlikely. Simply from a manufacturing cost point-of-view. Generally manufacturers want a standard product across all markets - cheaper to make one product rather than two, and having different products for different geographic markets causes all sorts of complications (ask a car manufacturer for their views on this!). So there would have to be quite big cost savings to have the EU release less-well specified than the JDM one. ANd I really can't see why adding a 24hr stop watch would be much of a selling point!

Of course, this is still possible - by using a different module. But all the info we have suggests the modules are the same. It's still possible, through firmware, to have marginal differences (displays in centigrade versus farenheit, for example) but the movement is somewhat more fundamental than that!

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Unlikely. Simply from a manufacturing cost point-of-view. Generally manufacturers want a standard product across all markets - cheaper to make one product rather than two, and having different products for different geographic markets causes all sorts of complications (ask a car manufacturer for their views on this!).
like i wrote a bit unlikely yes, but not too unlikely. the european market for instance, haven't seen even one model out of the oceanus and edifice series to date, with a tough movement (!!!). in other words: if you want to have one, you've gotta import it by yourself. poor marketing choice? poor interest in higher-end watches? i honestly don't know the answer but casio just doesn't seem to care. now, if they are not even going to care for their higher-end models, why should they start to care for a "cheap" plastic watch?

btw: I'm personally not interested in the GW-3000, but if i would, the 24h stopwatch would be a selling point for me, while a 24 minutes stopwatch would be a dealbreaker (as well as the missing countdown timer)

cheers

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,587 Posts
It puzzle me a bit, but I doubt they make two exact the same models with different modules. I think the movements are the same, but for some marketing reasons they are released as Tough Movement in Japan. More strange is the 20 BAR text. That's what we normally see on JDM models, instead of WATER 200M RESIST (though it appears more often on overseas models now).

I can't find the Tough Movement on the Giez and MT-G models (they had also a Tough Movement, didn't they?) too, so I think it's the same watch with an other marketing strategy.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
One other thing I thought of: If I remember correctly in most European countries (at least in Germany) the depth rating has to be somwhere on the dial. However I still don't believe that Casio really forgot on all their homepages to mention the tough movement. But if it's the same module it should have the same features. I think we won't know for sure until someone holds one in his hands that says 20bar on the dial but mentions the tough movement in the manual or on the back of the watch :think:. I'm even tempted to buy one just to find out :-d.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I'm even tempted to buy one kjust to find out :-d.
:-! great idea sedi,

i will vote for your bravery and promise to give you a big hug if the disappointment is too much of a burden :-d

cheers

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
:-d:-d if I had the money I'd do it - but I don't, so I hope the really good price I found (160€) is still there when I get my next paycheck :-d:-d|>.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have an EU GW-3000BD on order, but it's not expected imminently.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Hi,
I just called Casio Europe because I couldn't live with that question anymore :-d. The friendly lady on the phone said that if the watch has the same module numer it also has exactly the same functions even just a slight change would result in a different module number - so according to her the GW-3000 Japanese and European models are the same.
That doesn't really settle the question once and for all (she could be wrong but I doubt it) - but I think they probably are indeed exactly the same. Still the question remains why Casio doesn't mention anywhere on their European internet pages that it does have the tough movement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks a lot for the in depth discussion of this topic. Especially sedi for contacting Casio-Europe.
I'm really a brave G-Shock customer and I odered one of this GW-3000 from UK. b-) Not only to solve the issue. I'm really interested in this model since it was announced by casio. So shortly I will see what's about this tough mvt stuff. ;-)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts