WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a Seiko SKX013 after breaking my SKX009 (i tried to adjust the regualator and bungled it). I wanted to try a mid size (38mm) and at first it felt tiny compared with the SKX009. Afte a couple of days it feels perfect. Surprisingly it feels much lighter. Amazing what a few mm difference will make. I won't go into the differences, but I am curious as to why dive watches are getting larger. I couldn't go beyond 42mm without it feeling like I had a clock strapped to my wrist, which is a shame as I like the look of the Sumo.I read the Blancpain blew the collective watch world mind when it came out at 41mm in 1953(?). But the Rolex Submariner was a modest 36mm(?) in the same year and was good enough for Bond. Are people just getting bigger or will we see watches shrink again? I have noticed a few homage watches such as the Raven Vintage offering 40mm versions.

·
Registered
637 Posts
i think it was the mid 90's that big oversized watches became increasingly popular and increasingly expensive. Panerai was one of the brands that fueled the oversized watch revolution afaik . For me 42mm is the biggest i would go for my puny wrist.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Human being are also getting bigger. Same as their wrist which will grow bigger too. You wouldn't expect Arnold to wear a 38mm watch on his wrist and think it looks good,right?

·
Sinn Moderator
9,845 Posts
I have a 7 1/2" wrist and find that 40-42 mm cases are the best fit/feel for me. My Sinn U1 T and U1 SDR, at 44mm, are my biggest watches and they feel slightly too big, but I like the Sinn U1 model.

It will be interesting to see if smaller watches become more popular. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
I really do not care for anything over 41-42mm, but there are too many exceptions in my collection that just look great on the wrist regardless of being larger much larger such as the Helson Shark Diver, Citizen AutoZilla. One that seems to look overly large on the wrist is my DeepBlue 2K, it has sat in the box upon its arrival. One I have found to be perfect is the Seiko SARB021 at 38mm

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I prefer watches in the 38-42mm range, but I like some bigger ones too... what I really don't get are watches 18+mm thick, and heavy: they're just uncomfortable bricks strapped to the wrist.
I think the perfect size is that of the Submariner.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I really do not care for anything over 41-42mm, but there are too many exceptions in my collection that just look great on the wrist regardless of being larger much larger such as the Helson Shark Diver, Citizen AutoZilla. One that seems to look overly large on the wrist is my DeepBlue 2K, it has sat in the box upon its arrival. One I have found to be perfect is the Seiko SARB021 at 38mm
Agree. The SKX007 or PMMM have been my most worn watches since I started really getting into divers nearly 4 years ago. But with my 6.5/6.75" wrist I also have a Shrouded Monster and a recently got a Solar Chrono diver -- and yet still planning for a Dagaz T2 -- so I still can get along with watches that a bigger than my 'preferred' range. For me it's more about simply loving the watch, rather than freaking out about how it looks on my wrist. Luckily I'm mostly into Seikos at this point which by modern dive standards (imo) are usually pretty reserved in size and generally don't wear as big as they measure. As long as it doesn't wear ridiculously bad (which I have not yet had this happen) and I like it I'll wear it. If I were into certain boutique brands I'd probably be seeing a lot more watches that wear too awkward for me. So here in my bubble I have no issues.

I do think some people get a little too hung up on size too much, so much that it psychs them out of getting a watch they might otherwise love. If it's not an extreme case (very large watch on a very tiny wrist, or a little bitty dress watch on a gigantic wrist, where most people are in-between somewhere), I think most people are just OCD about it. As a whole we all have the same wrist sizes and we all know the same watches. Some people can't get over it and some can. It's also not strictly about size but shape. Two watches what have different lugs but the same diameters will wear completely different. Just because a Sumo measures as Y and you like X, doesn't mean a Sumo won't work for you. Unless it somehow hurts your wrist/is uncomfortable to wear, just wear it man. =)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts