WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 27 years as of yesterday Apple has been making functional, simple and *cough* costly items. Which watch manufacturing company makes functional and simple watches for an unbelievably high price? For me, the Apple of watch companies is Rolex, ridiculously expensive for utter simplicity and something that just works. (I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a Rolex, but they don't offer much bang for the buck.) What do you all think?

Reactions: hanzo and ttthai

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Hmmmm... thats a tough one. I'd have to say Swatch Group.. they are the most vertically integrated group out there. They've got massive economy of scale etc.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Tag

Reactions: Dorieus78

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Nomos. Great design, great workmanship, very simple (few complications available, if any, on most models).

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
hmm. Interesting question but I don't think there's a good comparison.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
For 27 years as of yesterday Apple has been making functional, simple and *cough* costly items. Which watch manufacturing company makes functional and simple watches for an unbelievably high price? For me, the Apple of watch companies is Rolex, ridiculously expensive for utter simplicity and something that just works. (I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a Rolex, but they don't offer much bang for the buck.) What do you all think?
You're not the first to make an association with Apple and Rolex. But what makes them much alike is that they are the best in getting people to drink the cool-aid of their brand in their respective industries. IOW the fanboyism is strong.

They way they have marketed their products are kind of similar too, with a number of claims of being the fist to do this or that.

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
Well, truly, if you were looking for an Apple watch company, you'd have to have:
- A company with humble, American roots. (RGM)
- A company that still sounds American, but really does all of its production in China (Invicta)
- A company that is one of the biggest in the world (Swatch, LVMH)
- A company that prides itself on simple, modern design (Nomos)
- A company that focuses on user experience, by ignoring what the user wants and going forward with its own ideas (?? Someone with more WIS knowledge help me here...)
- A company that either created much of the technological innovation in the field (Breguet, PP, JLC, others?)
- A company that pretended that it innovated has by taking others' inventions and either refining or marketing them.
- A company that markets the heck out of itself (Rolex)
- A company that markets the heck out of itself by "being different" and using Celebs (Omega?)

And even if you could get all of that into one company, no watch manufacturer would fit, because you'd have to find a watch manufacturer that would create a timepiece with no user serviceable parts and with a caseback that can only be opened by brute force or by an ordained technician. :)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Hmm I would have equated Rolex with Microsoft, Omega with Apple.

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Hmm I would have equated Rolex with Microsoft, Omega with Apple.
Apple fans have essentially every product from the current line, for example, an iPhone, iPad, Macbook, iMac, etc. It seems much more common to see Rolex fans have an extensive collection of contemporary Rolexes, whereas Omega fans tend to have a Speedmaster Pro, and maybe one of the Seamasters (Aqua Terra, Planet Ocean, Pro).

Also, for me, the main attraction of a contemporary Omega is the new line of in-house co-axial movements, like the Omega 8500 calibre, which reflects an emphasis on technical specifications, as opposed to aesthetics. In contrast, while Apple products aren't technical slouches, the emphasis is definitely on aesthetics.

·
Registered
543 Posts
simple overpriced and well worth it... idk but i don't think i would want to buy the PC of watches...

Reactions: Tsportmat

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Rado. Simple design, high quality materials, ridiculously high price. Most of their watches even look like something Apple would produce...

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Apple is more like Panerai today.

Just like Apple, Panerai have very few models. For Panerai, all are based from the radiomir and luminor shapes. Like Apple, their fans are true fans and will buy whatever they sell regardless of price and what else is available.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Apple outrageously expensive? Hmm... let's compare a few things, shall we?

Lenovo X1 Carbon, 4GB, 128GB, 1.7GHz: $1279
MacBook Air 13", 4GB, 128GB, 1.8 GHz: $1199

iPad Mini 16GB: $329
Nexus 7 16GB: $249

iPhone 5 16GB: $649
Nexus 4 16GB: $399

Arguably, you get what you pay for with the Apple devices, and the MacBook Air is actually a little cheaper than the Lenovo for better specs.

So, Apple is a touch on the expensive side of the main stream, a volume manufacturer with a long and somewhat checkered history, a little bit idiosyncratic in their technology but arguably superior (and yes, I'm a network protocols engineer, I do understand computers and network devices as deeply as some of the members here understand watch movements), and they do advanced stuff if not first, at least they bring the advanced technology to the mass market very early in the piece, and they do rather stylish designs.

In other words, they're Citizen.

(this post bought to you by my Retina MacBook Pro, typed while wearing a Citizen AT8020, and connected to the internet via a Netgear router with Huawei 3G modem running my own custom firmware)

·
Registered
874 Posts
i would say: Panerai is the 'Apple' of watches...
ETA, simple, looks great, overpriced, all models are the same with just slight differences. ipad-ipad mini. Pam104-048

there are other brands also which would qualify, but currently i think nearest is panerai..although its not as strong as apple, revenue wise.
nevertheless, i love both Apple and Panerai

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Agree to Apple - Panerai comparison

Recognizeable design - check
Somewhat expensive - check
Non serviceable by user - check esp for Pam in house movt
Fanboys and 'risti - check
Numerous accessories - check (apple with cases and stuff,Pam with straps)

Technological innovation,well I guess Pam have to create their own movt because ETA is reducing their supplies,they have the "affordable" 8 days movt in new P5001,I guess apple has to overhaul their iOS to make it look fresher..

·
Premium Member
7,425 Posts
The thing that makes Apple different is its ability to redefine the market. It does not build things according to what the market expects, it builds things that have never before existed according to what it thinks the market will adopt, hopefully to the detriment of what went before. Doing that consistently requires a disciplined combination of creativity, risk-taking, product design, and marketing. But those things are not the yardstick--people accepting as necessary what they scoffed at last year is the measure of success.

Really, the Apple of personal timekeeping is...Apple. It's the use of the smartphone to tell time that has been the significant sea change in the market recently, but that will hurt volume quartz producers more than mechanical watch makers.

Apple's business model is to destroy tradition, while the wristwatch industry is based on it.

Rick "typing this on an iPhone" Denney

Reactions: Mot524
1 - 20 of 112 Posts