WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of us already know the news - the Apple Watch is almost here with all the electronic bells and whistles. I am still weighting the pros and cons and there are so many of them on both sides. The major dilemma however is: would this significantly change the game for the Swiss watch industry or be complimentary to it? The Swiss survived the Japanese quartz onslaught and they certainly improved the game over time, but the lower end of the value spectrum could be severely impacted as Apple offering is very price competitive. Also, am I going to be miserable with my favourite automatics on my left wrist and Apple Watch on my right one just to be part of the game?

Could you please share your thoughts? Will you be considering Apple Watch or not? And why?

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
did you go to the "smart watch" forum first???

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
The Apple "watch"...in my book is not really a watch, but an electronic device designed to among other things, tell time (like my cell phone)...
Aside from that, if you feel the need to be "part of the game" (any game) there is a very good chance you always be "miserable" for different reasons.

Reactions: Ipromise

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course, but not all of us that prefer mechanical watches are visiting smart watch section. The Apple Watch could influence us all in so many different ways, I guess.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I won't be using one and neither will people who don't have an iPhone 6. The capabilities of the watch are severely limited if you don't have the newest phone. I think they are doing some really cool things with the watch, with the multitude of dial and strap options you can configure the watch over 2 million ways. I just can't see a tech gadget that becomes obsolete every 12-24 months unseating watches from the big players. I think fashion brands and companies like Seiko, Casio, Citizen, etc. are going to feel the effects of this.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Think of it like this, millions who do not wear a watch will get one, when everyone else has one, many will want to be better than everyone else, then they start buying Omegas etc. This can be seen as an opportunty NOT a disaster.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Greatest impact on my wallet. Could afford the Apple Watch, but I'm happy with my Android phone... And watches.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
No plans to buy one. I don't own a single Apple product these days and certainly am not buying into the entire ecosystem just for the Apple Watch.

As for impact to the Swiss? It shouldn't hurt the upper echelons of the industry, your average JLC buyer isnt the target market Apple is after. Fashion watches in the same price category as the Apple Watch should worry though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I won't be using one and neither will people who don't have an iPhone 6. The capabilities of the watch are severely limited if you don't have the newest phone. I think they are doing some really cool things with the watch, with the multitude of dial and strap options you can configure the watch over 2 million ways. I just can't see a tech gadget that becomes obsolete every 12-24 months unseating watches from the big players. I think fashion brands and companies like Seiko, Casio, Citizen, etc. are going to feel the effects of this.

With regard to smart watches I think you hit on the key point above, and that is that they are first and foremost computer technology, not really watches at all, and as such will be become obsolete every 12-24 months.
Yes they tell time, like my iPhone does, and with the high resolution screen they can “simulate” the look and feel of a real watch with incredibly accurate detail. But it is all a mirage. I know that my Rolex Explorer and my Omega Speedmaster are classics that will never go obsolete.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I wonder if the millennials will be purchasing high end watches in the future we baby boomers like mechanical and some quartz watches . I hated digital watches even though I owned a few when they stopped three away and got another that's technology

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Nop, not considering one at all but I give almost zero attention towards techy stuff/gadgets. Have an iPhone but it's provided by the company I work for and this Nexus 7 tablet was a gift from my wife for surfing WUS, mostly. I was using a laptop, well...on my lap but according to her it has an adverse effect on men's health ;)

I just prefer other kind of products like handmade shoes instead of something tech related.

I can see lots of smart watches being sold during a phase, it's a new thing, maybe fun, but in the end just don't know how long this will it last...and what market segments will wear it.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Been a member of WUS since 2007 and just found out about that forum yesterday. I personally see Apple watch discussion more a general discussion thing myself....it's a hot interesting topic, if anything warrants a sticky.... as the discussion is not specific to just smart watches.....yet anyways. just my .02.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I know that my Rolex Explorer and my Omega Speedmaster are classics that will never go obsolete.
Do you feel the same way about your pocketwatches?

What's that? You don't own a pocketwatch?

Someday it may be very uncool to have to take a phone out of your pocket just to (say) read a text. Then that wrist real estate where we WISs put our mechanicals may need to be occupied by a smartwatch. If that happens, then even the highest-end mechanical watch makers could be in trouble.

Reactions: Okapi001

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Most of us already know the news - the Apple Watch is almost here with all the electronic bells and whistles. I am still weighting the pros and cons and there are so many of them on both sides. The major dilemma however is: would this significantly change the game for the Swiss watch industry or be complimentary to it? The Swiss survived the Japanese quartz onslaught and they certainly improved the game over time, but the lower end of the value spectrum could be severely impacted as Apple offering is very price competitive. Also, am I going to be miserable with my favourite automatics on my left wrist and Apple Watch on my right one just to be part of the game?

Could you please share your thoughts? Will you be considering Apple Watch or not? And why?
Read this recently. You might find it interesting.

The Swiss Aren't Worried About Apple's Watch | Business Insider

No interest at this time for me. Still doesn't look too different than the square Nano on a strap, except that the integration is a bit better.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
The only reason this trinket ever came to existence is to make an impact on Apple's revenue and earnings, whether it will make an impact on anything else is rather unlikely....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts