WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

2281 - 2300 of 2311 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’m giving some serious thought to buying an AquaTerra. For those here who own them, is the bezel highly susceptible to scratches? I noticed someone in this thread mentioned hairline scratches from his shirt. That seems awfully delicate for a renowned GADA watch.

Curious to know if that’s an issue or if there are any other potential issues I should be aware of. Seems like pretty much everyone here loves their AT, so I don’t want to assume anything too negative from one post but I do want to make a fully informed decision. Thanks!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Love this!! What reference? I was under the impression that only the Skyfall AquaTerras had the date window frame.
The full reference is 231.10.42.21.06.001.

This is the second generation Aqua Terra. The first generation used the Caliber 2500 and did not have the vertical lines. This generation introduced the Caliber 8500 and the vertical lines -- it came in grey or opaline, 41.5mm or 38.5mm, and all versions had the framed date window. The blue 38.5mm (Skyfall) and blue 41.5mm versions came a few years later and also had framed date windows.

Later on, the framed date windows were dropped as the Aqua Terras kept the overall exterior design of the second generation but transitioned to the antimagnetic/master coaxial calibers. After those intermediate versions came the current generation with horizontal lines and the 8800/8900 movements.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've posted this a few times before in this thread, but what the heck. Ten years old this November and going strong.

View attachment 15367813
Looks really good!!! I’m considering this dial colour but hv the blue / skyfall and just cautious in case they are too similar but in pictures like yours the grey seems light enough to be quite separate to the blue.

just curious if you’ve had it servicedsince you owned it?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Looks really good!!! I’m considering this dial colour but hv the blue / skyfall and just cautious in case they are too similar but in pictures like yours the grey seems light enough to be quite separate to the blue.
just curious if you’ve had it servicedsince you owned it?
It's been a while since I've seen the blue in person, but my recollection is that they are very different.

I had it serviced once locally around the 7-year mark. There wasn't anything seriously wrong with it, but (i) the timekeeping had started to slip a bit and (ii) I like to take care of my stuff.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The full reference is 231.10.42.21.06.001.

This is the second generation Aqua Terra. The first generation used the Caliber 2500 and did not have the vertical lines. This generation introduced the Caliber 8500 and the vertical lines -- it came in grey or opaline, 41.5mm or 38.5mm, and all versions had the framed date window. The blue 38.5mm (Skyfall) and blue 41.5mm versions came a few years later and also had framed date windows.

Later on, the framed date windows were dropped as the Aqua Terras kept the overall exterior design of the second generation but transitioned to the antimagnetic/master coaxial calibers. After those intermediate versions came the current generation with horizontal lines and the 8800/8900 movements.
the more you know... thank you!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Here’s one I purchased on the used market awhile back, it keeps perfect time

2D2F1C39-2822-4A12-9909-9549AE571C18.jpeg

·
Registered
88 Posts
I’m giving some serious thought to buying an AquaTerra. For those here who own them, is the bezel highly susceptible to scratches? I noticed someone in this thread mentioned hairline scratches from his shirt. That seems awfully delicate for a renowned GADA watch.

Curious to know if that’s an issue or if there are any other potential issues I should be aware of. Seems like pretty much everyone here loves their AT, so I don’t want to assume anything too negative from one post but I do want to make a fully informed decision. Thanks!
All polished surfaces will have hairline scratches, especially the center links of bracelet.

I bought this watch for just over 2 weeks, wore 1 hour tops per day, with t-shirts. You can see very fine hairline scratches above the crown. I have no idea where those come from.
Just enjoy

·
Registered
59 Posts
All polished surfaces will have hairline scratches, especially the center links of bracelet.

I bought this watch for just over 2 weeks, wore 1 hour tops per day, with t-shirts. You can see very fine hairline scratches above the crown. I have no idea where those come from.
Just enjoy
Thanks for the info! Love your watch! Sorry about the hairline scratches, but I guess that’s just a reality we have to live with.

·
Registered
199 Posts

Just enjoy
Yup, my bezel is also full of identical hairline scratches as yours and that really bothers me a lot. I am more into mechanical parts of watch than its esthetics but I just feel bad when my now 8 months old AT has bezel full of such scratches. I also have one or two deeper scratches that are too much for cape cod too. Not that I polish much but I did remove once those scratches and they are back again so I am not touching it anymore. My wife and friends find really annoying how much I take care of my watch and how much I try not to hit or scratch it and than again I end with those scratches. Where from i have no idea?

Then again I fell better when I see that I am not alone in this. I always zoom pictures from AT threads and look for scratches on other watches to see if they have same problem as me :)

I do enjoy my AT and would not change it even it has such sensitive bezel, but would like if it could be more prone to scratches.

And one more thing that is mystery to me. On bezel edge, edge towards cristal, on two places I have two dot like dents. Small but I know that they are there. But what I can't understand how I could hit watch in such way to make those dents and not to damage crystal....

·
Registered
509 Posts
Has anyone tried to fit the rubber strap from an AT 8900 to one of the newer Railmasters?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yup, my bezel is also full of identical hairline scratches as yours and that really bothers me a lot. I am more into mechanical parts of watch than its esthetics but I just feel bad when my now 8 months old AT has bezel full of such scratches. I also have one or two deeper scratches that are too much for cape cod too. Not that I polish much but I did remove once those scratches and they are back again so I am not touching it anymore. My wife and friends find really annoying how much I take care of my watch and how much I try not to hit or scratch it and than again I end with those scratches. Where from i have no idea?

Then again I fell better when I see that I am not alone in this. I always zoom pictures from AT threads and look for scratches on other watches to see if they have same problem as me :)

I do enjoy my AT and would not change it even it has such sensitive bezel, but would like if it could be more prone to scratches.

And one more thing that is mystery to me. On bezel edge, edge towards cristal, on two places I have two dot like dents. Small but I know that they are there. But what I can't understand how I could hit watch in such way to make those dents and not to damage crystal....

Do you guys feel this is an AT issue or is it consistent with other polished bezel watches you’ve owned? The prospect of buying a watch that is especially prone to accumulating hairline scratches just doesn’t sit well with me, especially given the price.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Do you guys feel this is an AT issue or is it consistent with other polished bezel watches you’ve owned? The prospect of buying a watch that is especially prone to accumulating hairline scratches just doesn’t sit well with me, especially given the price.
Completely normal for a watch with a polished bezel

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

2281 - 2300 of 2311 Posts