Premium Member
5,091 Posts

·
Registered
3,978 Posts

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Exactly! 😌 It just doesn’t get enough publicity, it seems. I quite like the change from the more common see-through caseback.
I'm not really fussed about sapphire casebacks. I'd much rather have a meaningful caseback engraving, like the hippocampus on your Railmaster. Unless of course the movement is highly decorated with a hand engraved balance bridge à la Glashutte Original.

René

Reactions: rising.sun

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I'm not really fussed about sapphire casebacks. I'd much rather have a meaningful caseback engraving, like the hippocampus on your Railmaster. Unless of course the movement is highly decorated with a hand engraved balance bridge à la Glashutte Original.

René
I agree with you, Rene. But I didn't always feel that way.

When I was first getting interested in mechanical watches, a display back was a huge plus, and possibly even a necessity. Even on inexpensive watches with unimpressive movements. Over time, I've come to prefer the closed case back overall. The Railmaster is my favorite "rear view" of any watch in my collection.

I'm currently wrestling with the idea of finally caving in and buying a Speedmaster. That's a rare example of being able to choose between two different case backs. I'm leaning towards the hesalite version.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I agree with you, Rene. But I didn't always feel that way.

When I was first getting interested in mechanical watches, a display back was a huge plus, and possibly even a necessity. Even on inexpensive watches with unimpressive movements. Over time, I've come to prefer the closed case back overall. The Railmaster is my favorite "rear view" of any watch in my collection.

I'm currently wrestling with the idea of finally caving in and buying a Speedmaster. That's a rare example of being able to choose between two different case backs. I'm leaning towards the hesalite version.
I think it's great that there are choices for the Speedmaster Pro. What one chooses is dependent on what one deems important. Whether it be heritage, aesthetics, sapphire vs. Hesalite, open or solid caseback, painted vs. applied logo, etc. Good luck with your decision, and remember to enjoy the process...this is not a race.

Rene

·
Premium Member
5,091 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Omega RM Denim Blue

Watch Analog watch White Light Everyday carry
Watch Analog watch Photograph White Light
Watch Analog watch Photograph White Light
Watch Silver Font Badge Emblem