WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 80 of 2562 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Interesting theory, WW, but unfortunately I don't think it holds water. These two quartz models also have the applied logo, as did the original AT quartz, and many others, I'm sure.

OMEGA Watches: Seamaster 300 M Quartz - Steel on steel - 2221.80.00

OMEGA Watches: Seamaster Aqua Terra Quartz - Steel on steel - 231.10.39.61.02.001

I think it just comes down to individual designs. They could just make it standard across the board, but some models actually benefit from not having an applied logo, or in other words, they look better with a printed logo. The original SMP Bond, the 2531.80 is a good example of such a watch.
Dixan,

Neither one of the watches you linked to have the "Omega" applied logo, only the "Ω". The first model I actually own, so I am positive of this. I will take it a step further and say this only applies to mechanical watches and not quartz, despite some of the latter having a COSC designation. The Bond SMP you referenced is a perfect example of this as the mechanical does in fact of have applied logo. Now I'm not saying this makes what I said correct as it is only speculation on my part. And I agree with you that some models simply look better with a painted logo, ala the Railmaster or EB SMP, which are both chronometers. Whether this is a design aesthetic is anyone's guess, but I will bet only chronometers get that applied "Omega".

·
Registered
247 Posts
After seeing these gorgeous pictures of the older generation Aqua Terra and Railmaster, I have the same wish as always: I hope Omega will reintroduce a classic dressy Seamaster, based on 8500, and without the "teak" dial. Just a normal flat dial, a tad bit glossy, with nice applied details of the hour indices and Omega logo + wording.
Like a modern day reincarnation of the 60's Seamaster.

·
Premium Member
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Dixan,

Neither one of the watches you linked to have the "Omega" applied logo, only the "Ω". The first model I actually own, so I am positive of this. I will take it a step further and say this only applies to mechanical watches and not quartz, despite some of the latter having a COSC designation. The Bond SMP you referenced is a perfect example of this as the mechanical does in fact of have applied logo. Now I'm not saying this makes what I said correct as it is only speculation on my part. And I agree with you that some models simply look better with a painted logo, ala the Railmaster or EB SMP, which are both chronometers. Whether this is a design aesthetic is anyone's guess, but I will bet only chronometers get that applied "Omega".
Logo = Omega symbol

Word mark = "OMEGA"

That's what I've always meant anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
After seeing these gorgeous pictures of the older generation Aqua Terra and Railmaster, I have the same wish as always: I hope Omega will reintroduce a classic dressy Seamaster, based on 8500, and without the "teak" dial. Just a normal flat dial, a tad bit glossy, with nice applied details of the hour indices and Omega logo + wording.
Like a modern day reincarnation of the 60's Seamaster.

For me, it's more than just the teak dial that needs to be changed, if they want to re-capture the spirit of the original AT and RM. Although I really like the current 8500 AT as its own design, overall I still prefer the original AT/RM, and feel they are more elegant in comparison. Specifically, I prefer not only the original, simpler dials, but also the original watches' sharper hands and indices. I'm just not one hundred percent sold on the newer watches' blunt hands and indices. They're a bit too heavy and chunky to me. Together with the teak dial, those details give the current ATs a much more casual feel, IMO. Again, very handsome designs in their own right, but to me, they feel less like newer versions of the same line, and more like stand alone designs.

Anyway, more photos, please! :-!

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Okay, here's my 36mm 2504.50 SuperBlack dialled 1st Gen AquaTerra.

This dial is impossible (for me) to take a decent and truly representative photo of it. But that doesn't stop me from trying.
Here's the Cal 2500 purring along inside it.

And sometimes, Mother Nature steps in and does the lighting. And the stars align and I take a lucky shot.

Like M4tt's always said, this is a true "Gentleman's Watch".

·
Premium Member
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Okay, here's my 36mm 2504.50 SuperBlack dialled 1st Gen AquaTerra...

T., I'm surprised you, of all people, don't have a Railmaster, actually. I would think it would be right up your alley. Love them, and wish I had one as well, but I wouldn't be able to get over how similar it was to my AT. Maybe the perfect combo would be RM and 8500 AT. Anyway, I always love seeing photos of your Gentleman's Watch.

·
Premium Member
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
ignore the hair on the crystal :)

to be honest, with 20/20 hindsight, I should probably have got the next size down, but this certainly has a presence :)

Wow! I really like the XXL RMs. Maybe it's because they are unabashedly huge. To be gigantic, extravagant, a bit OTT is their raison d'être. It looks very nice on that color strap too. Keep on keeping on, man! I, for one, hope to see this watch around the forum more often....

This thread is turning out very nicely. So great to see some models that we don't normally see. Please keep them coming!

·
Premium Member
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Amazing pics, I really like the thread :)

Here's my new 41,5 I just got as a B-day present from my parents.
I got my first Omega from my dad. I think I've always felt a special connection to Omega, above and beyond "normal" obsessive fandom, because of that fact. Be good to your folks! (And not just because they bought you a nice watch. ;-))

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
Okay, here's my 36mm 2504.50 SuperBlack dialled 1st Gen AquaTerra.

This dial is impossible (for me) to take a decent and truly representative photo of it. But that doesn't stop me from trying.
Here's the Cal 2500 purring along inside it.

And sometimes, Mother Nature steps in and does the lighting. And the stars align and I take a lucky shot.

·
Premium Member
7,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Just got some new straps. Here's my watch with a dark brown croco grain leather strap. To me it gives a completely different feeling from the bracelet!

There was a time when I was searching for a silver dialed Gents Size 2500 AT, and the first thing I had planned to do was to put it on a dark chocolate brown alligator strap. I think that looks very handsome. Overall, in the terms of design, that combo of silver and dark brown, cool metal and warm natural material, is one of the classic contrasting color schemes. Nicely done! Please post more photos when you have them. |>

61 - 80 of 2562 Posts