WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

881 - 900 of 2588 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Yeah, I often thought I'd catch a 36 mm Railmaster someday too. I'm pretty sure it would also be a nice match to my wrist, but as can be seen from my many pictures here, my Railmaster 39 mm is just more than perfect for me. Heck, it's such a great match sizewise, I'd be better off to buy another 39 as a backup, already having a backup of the metal bracelet.

But I keep that in mind. For the time being, here are some great comparison shots of the 36 and 39,2 mm Railmaster: A tale of two Railmasters

Cheers
Bernd
A tale a two Railmasters was the reason I picked up my railmaster. Great thread. Great watch.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Yeah, I often wonder if 36mm would make more sense for my AT, rather than the 39.2mm version pictured, but my biggest hangup is the 19mm strap width of the 36mm watch, since I like to use straps. Maybe buying a backup 39.2mm is a good idea for me, too. :think:
Now that looks totally like a perfect match to me! Btw, this - to me - is the most beautiful AT they ever made. And I know that AT from in the flesh. That's a cool one!

There's one thing to keep in mind: The AT has a 'finer' look, the Raimaster is a bit more in your face because of the prominent 3-6-9-12 indices. These make the Railmaster always look bigger than an AT of the same size. (Rolex Explorer features that same effect.) Just look at the picture of the Railmaster 39,2 next to the 38,5 AT in the thread 'A tale of two Railmasters'. The Railmaster looks huge in relation.
While I could easily imagine a 36mm Railmaster on my wrist, I cannot see a 36mm AT here. Here's an old picture with the 39,2 mm Railmaster:

Omega_Railmaster_160723_545.jpg

And I made a quick new picture to fulfill my duty as this is a picture-thread. ;-)

Omega_Railmaster_170608_049.jpg

Still in love like on the first day with my Railmaster. Even more since I have seen the new standard one. With all respect to all who like the new 2017 edition, it's so different, I don't know why they called it 'Railmaster'.

Cheers
Bernd

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Yeah, it's always so difficult to tell. My wrist shot was with a 90mm lens, IIRC, so it obviously is going to look smaller than often seen cell phone shots.

The 38.5mm AT is actually quite a bit smaller than the 39.2mm AT, too. Like with the Speedy, some of that 38.5mm is taken up by the little integrated crown guards. The 39.2mm AT/Railmaster 2500 is probably closer in size to the 41.5mm AT 8500:

**not my pic
AT 8500 41.5mm vs AT 2500 39.2mm

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Yeah, it's always so difficult to tell. My wrist shot was with a 90mm lens, IIRC, so it obviously is going to look smaller than often seen cell phone shots.
Yep, I was sure that it was done with light-tele lens, it doesn't suffer from the typical wide-angle effect you mentioned. My wristshot is done with a 105mm lens. ;-)

And looking at your very natural/realistic picture and of course including my personal view, I'd be careful with a 36 mm AT. And this although I'm rather one who likes smaller watches more than the mainstream these days.
But yes, it's hard to tell, you have to see it in the flesh! I have an old Seiko Sportsman from my year of birth. It's 36 or 36,5mm and it has no big indices and no numbers, but it looks much bigger than it's size because it has a small bezel and a white dial, see here. Same wrist, done with a 50mm lens. Only thing that keeps remembering me of it's size is the 19mm strap (as you mentioned that topic too).

Cheers
Bernd

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
This is a 39mm Railmaster? What size is your wrist? This looks absolutely flawless on you.
Thank you! Yes, that's the Railmaster 39,2 mm.

My wrist has a circumference of round about 185 mm, but more telling than this is the width, which is 58 mm and the overall shape of course. I made a graphic regarding this, please have a look at the two pictures in this post and maybe two posts later, the wristshot with the Sub maybe is also interesting, because many can relate to that watch. Douglas knows those pictures. :)

Cheers
Bernd

·
Registered
12,328 Posts
I'm on 2 lists at boutiques and I was told end of June. In honesty I probably won't bite. The 2500 Railmaster is a far nicer watch due to being less shiny. Just my preference though :)

Anyone here waiting for the 60th Anniversary Railmaster? I'm #1 on Timeless Lux's list but haven't heard much since the initial announcement.

·
Registered
12,328 Posts
Wow! I thought that was the 36mm. Still it shows that you got the right size for your wrist. It looks so classic. See many on here who can't pull off the 39mm.

My wrist has a circumference of round about 185 mm, but more telling than this is the width, which is 58 mm and the overall shape of course. I made a graphic regarding this, please have a look at the two pictures in this post and maybe two posts later, the wristshot with the Sub maybe is also interesting, because many can relate to that watch. Douglas knows those pictures. :)

Cheers
Bernd

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Cheers
Bernd
It's amazing what a measly 10mm wrist difference makes (mine is 175mm.) The 39.2mm still looks much better sorted on your 185mm wrist.

I know because my right​ wrist is actually larger at about 185mm...but I swear it's because I grew up a tennis player. :-d

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
It's amazing what a measly 10mm wrist difference makes (mine is 175mm.) The 39.2mm still looks much better sorted on your 185mm wrist.

I know because my right​ wrist is actually larger at about 185mm...but I swear it's because I grew up a tennis player. :-d
It is interesting. I have slim wrists. Probably 170mm circumstance, but it's also quite flat so the width is around 55mm. I love the size of the 39mm RM, but I often wonder how a 36 would feel.

Here's a pic of my 39. Sorry for the awful quality, need to update my phone. But gives a size reference. I think it looks as a modern watch should, a 36 will definitely have a vintage look. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It is interesting. I have slim wrists. Probably 170mm circumstance, but it's also quite flat so the width is around 55mm. I love the size of the 39mm RM, but I often wonder how a 36 would feel.

Here's a pic of my 39. Sorry for the awful quality, need to update my phone. But gives a size reference. I think it looks as a modern watch should, a 36 will definitely have a vintage look. What do you guys think?
Yep, your wrist is more or less just like mine, and I think you hit the nail on the head. It certainly fits well. It's just a matter of a more modern vs. more vintage look, although even 39mm still isn't exactly large these days.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'm totally with Douglas here, in my eyes it's spot-on! In no way it is too big, it looks simply elegant on you.
Besides watch-to-wrist relation I think it also matters what kind of guy you are and what I see, more than for me, the 36 mm Railmaster would be a winner on your wrist just the same. I'm a bit hulkier from the anatomy.
36 or 39 mm, for you this would only be choice of style, but no question of good or bad taste.

Here's a new one:

Omega_Railmaster_170608_062.jpg

Cheers
Bernd

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
^^^^ Class. Pure class. Great shots of the blue AT that goes well with the nice suit you're wearing!

·
Registered
338 Posts
My AT 38.5--lumey.

And in the yellowing light of a mini fluorescent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

881 - 900 of 2588 Posts