WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

941 - 960 of 2562 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hey fellow Omega people. I have a question I thought i'd post here rather than start a new thread...

I'm looking into the Aqua Terra 38.5mm. I'm finding essentially 2 models with subtle differences - one with the date window bordered by chrome and one with the date window sitting alone - no border. Both date windows are at 3 - these are pre-2017 Aqua Terras. In my research, it looks like the bordered version is the "Skyfall" version and is no longer in production. Both have the 8500.

Am I getting this correct? Is there sort of a master resource for the Aqua Terra i can reference?

Thanks!

·
Registered
942 Posts
You'd be a lot better off starting a thread with this question instead of having it buried in several hundred posts worth of images.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hey fellow Omega people. I have a question I thought i'd post here rather than start a new thread...

I'm looking into the Aqua Terra 38.5mm. I'm finding essentially 2 models with subtle differences - one with the date window bordered by chrome and one with the date window sitting alone - no border. Both date windows are at 3 - these are pre-2017 Aqua Terras. In my research, it looks like the bordered version is the "Skyfall" version and is no longer in production. Both have the 8500.

Am I getting this correct? Is there sort of a master resource for the Aqua Terra i can reference?

Thanks!
The 'Skyfall' Aqua Terra is from the second generation of Aqua Terras, this has the 'co-axial' 8500 movement and the date window surround. The third gen ATs have the 'master co-axial' 8500 movement which is antimagnetic, has no date surround and polished centre links on the bracelet. There could be other differences but I'll leave that to the experts.

Both are available in 38.5mm and 41mm.

I think the Skyfall is the most desirable of the bunch.

The latest, 2017 AT's are the fourth generation so I believe.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The 'Skyfall' Aqua Terra is from the second generation of Aqua Terras, this has the 'co-axial' 8500 movement and the date window surround. The third gen ATs have the 'master co-axial' 8500 movement which is antimagnetic, has no date surround and polished centre links on the bracelet. There could be other differences but I'll leave that to the experts.

Both are available in 38.5mm and 41mm.

I think the Skyfall is the most desirable of the bunch.

The latest, 2017 AT's are the fourth generation so I believe.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep. This is the first version:

Attachments

·
Registered
801 Posts
Awesome. It's such a versatile watch. Mine is 39mm, although I've often considered the 36mm version. I wear a lot of straps, so the 20mm lugs of the 39.2mm pulled me in that direction.
Yeah, after I asked and upon closer inspection I could tell it was the 39mm.

They are lovely looking, classic watches. I've got a few 38-39mm in the collection but wanted a smaller piece. This Omega was too good to pass up and I like that it's no longer in production.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Yeah, after I asked and upon closer inspection I could tell it was the 39mm.

They are lovely looking, classic watches. I've got a few 38-39mm in the collection but wanted a smaller piece. This Omega was too good to pass up and I like that it's no longer in production.

Cheers.

Agreed. I love it so much that I finally just sold my final Rolex and other watches, and this is officially my only watch. I've always liked the idea of that.

I was just saying on another thread, maybe we'll someday see a 60th Anniversary LE version of the original AT. :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ok guys. I have a confession to make. I've always been aware of and liked the Aqua Terra, and to a lesser extend the Railmaster. Neither model really resonated with me though. You may have seen a few of my posts floating around inquiring into the AT lately.

Well, over the past few days and many pages and photos later - holy cow, I need one of these. I'm super torn, the 39mm Railmaster on bracelet is an absolute stunner, but i'm attracted to the new 8500 movement in the newer ATs.

ahh.........I can flip 2 of my watches and get myself roughly half way there....then.........ahh

Credit to all the photos in the thread!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Ok guys. I have a confession to make. I've always been aware of and liked the Aqua Terra, and to a lesser extend the Railmaster. Neither model really resonated with me though. You may have seen a few of my posts floating around inquiring into the AT lately.

Well, over the past few days and many pages and photos later - holy cow, I need one of these. I'm super torn, the 39mm Railmaster on bracelet is an absolute stunner, but i'm attracted to the new 8500 movement in the newer ATs.

ahh.........I can flip 2 of my watches and get myself roughly half way there....then.........ahh

Credit to all the photos in the thread!!
Marketing will have you believe otherwise, but the movement technology doesn't matter. It's like trying to decide between the most technologically advanced typewriters. Mechanical watches are anachronisms, so just buy the one you like.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Agreed. I love it so much that I finally just sold my final Rolex and other watches, and this is officially my only watch. I've always liked the idea of that.

I was just saying on another thread, maybe we'll someday see a 60th Anniversary LE version of the original AT. :)
Well, I respect your decision to be a one watch guy! I've thought about it many times myself. Before I found the AT I was considering a 36mm Rolex Explorer which probably would have caused me to sell my entire collection to fund it so it certainly would have been my only piece for quite a while.

I'd originally wanted the Skyfall AT but waited too long when they were still in production and missed out. Had my chance on a couple of used examples but the price was a bit steep for me.

I found this original AT online, just serviced and managed to snap it up for a great price so was very pleased. Plus it's the perfect size for my 6.5" wrist.

My rotation is up to 7, they all get worn but I'm toying with the idea of getting this down to 3 with the AT being the daily wearer. Difficult decision as where the collection is at currently took a lot of time, work and consideration.

What did you sell off if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Well, I respect your decision to be a one watch guy! I've thought about it many times myself. Before I found the AT I was considering a 36mm Rolex Explorer which probably would have caused me to sell my entire collection to fund it so it certainly would have been my only piece for quite a while.

I'd originally wanted the Skyfall AT but waited too long when they were still in production and missed out. Had my chance on a couple of used examples but the price was a bit steep for me.

I found this original AT online, just serviced and managed to snap it up for a great price so was very pleased. Plus it's the perfect size for my 6.5" wrist.

My rotation is up to 7, they all get worn but I'm toying with the idea of getting this down to 3 with the AT being the daily wearer. Difficult decision as where the collection is at currently took a lot of time, work and consideration.

What did you sell off if you don't mind me asking?

Sure thing, the mechanical watches I previously owned were: Rolex Air-King, DateJust, SubDate, Explorer II, a few Seikos, a couple of PVD Squales, a Hamilton Khaki, and a few other things.

The Air-King, DJ and Hamilton were the three watches I got rid of before buying the AT (traded DJ for AT.) I do still have a G-shock in my drawer as a backup, but I never wear it.

The one watch that could tempt me away is an Aquanaut, but I don't like it enough to justify the crazy price difference. If I worry about damaging a watch I'm wearing, it means I can't afford it!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Sure thing, the mechanical watches I previously owned were: Rolex Air-King, DateJust, SubDate, Explorer II, a few Seikos, a couple of PVD Squales, a Hamilton Khaki, and a few other things.

The Air-King, DJ and Hamilton were the three watches I got rid of before buying the AT (traded DJ for AT.) I do still have a G-shock in my drawer as a backup, but I never wear it.

The one watch that could tempt me away is an Aquanaut, but I don't like it enough to justify the crazy price difference. If I worry about damaging a watch I'm wearing, it means I can't afford it!
Wow, must have been difficult to let those go! I suppose your bank balance is a lot healthier though!

I've shifted 7 watches in the past 18 months and replaced them with more size appropriate pieces. I'd gotten the collection pretty much perfect for me but now I've bought the AT I can't see some of my others getting a look in for a long while. They're mostly affordables so I won't be retiring anytime soon if I let them go but like I said before, they were all considered purchases and some were 1 -2 years in the making before I pulled the trigger.

I've got a G-Shock too which I mostly use for the gym and festivals. Also my old box of quartz pieces from back in the day that are sentimental and not worth selling.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Wow, must have been difficult to let those go! I suppose your bank balance is a lot healthier though!

I've shifted 7 watches in the past 18 months and replaced them with more size appropriate pieces. I'd gotten the collection pretty much perfect for me but now I've bought the AT I can't see some of my others getting a look in for a long while. They're mostly affordables so I won't be retiring anytime soon if I let them go but like I said before, they were all considered purchases and some were 1 -2 years in the making before I pulled the trigger.

I've got a G-Shock too which I mostly use for the gym and festivals. Also my old box of quartz pieces from back in the day that are sentimental and not worth selling.
Yeah, I've actually given away quite a few of my other watches to friends and family, although I'm sure I have some old stuff laying around somewhere. My wife just found her old box of Swatches from the 80s, which is fun.

I usually wear my AT on a Hirsch James or Pure, so I even work out with it on! For some reason, I really like the idea of leaving my son a watch that's been through everything. My G-Shock is for service time or the apocalypse. lol

941 - 960 of 2562 Posts